Maule and All Factory Fly In 2020

Discuss or announce upcoming gatherings.
bobguhr
100+ Posts

Maule and All Factory Fly In 2020

Post by bobguhr »

FYI It looks like the Maule and All 2020 factory fly in will be taking place at Spence Airfield (KMUL) in Moultrie, GA Sept 24-27, 2020.
Brent is thinking about a pig roast, fly out, factory tours and informal STOL and flour bombing competition fun. Hope to see a good turn out.

Old Piper
100+ Posts
Location: New York '75 M5-210C, Rebuilding (2) M7-235C for retirement sanity.

Re: Maule and All Factory Fly In 2020

Post by Old Piper »

Howdy Bob,

I'm planning on going down a few days early, to checkout NC, SC & maybe North Fl. Need a warmer place in the winter with an airstrip (grass). NY winters haven't been like the old days, not enough cold and snow, just sloppy conditons, which doesn't allow much activity. Does anyone have suggestions for a good locations/strips to visit?

It's been approx. 7-yrs. since been at Maule. Looking forward to the trip.

Hope to see a big turnout! :D

Tom

drak130
100+ Posts

Post by drak130 »

Bummer,

I have a trip over those days. If I can dump or swap the trip I will be there. Sounds like fun.

Tim

bobguhr
100+ Posts

Post by bobguhr »

Tom
I generally just try to get to Moultrie ASAP but I have stopped for barbecue at the Pik n Pig in Carthage,NC identifier is BBQ1

bobguhr
100+ Posts

Post by bobguhr »

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

My airplane will be in annual that week. Have fun and post photos on the forum. See you next year.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

Old Piper
100+ Posts

Post by Old Piper »

Howdy Bob,

Thanks for the tip on Pik n Pig, l'll put that one on my list to stop in at. That's in the area where I plan to be as well. :(

Is there any other suggested special worthwhile places to visit in the NC / SC / GA / N. FL areas, or on the way down from CNY?

I'm sure some of you local guys have some favorites that you might like to share???

Bob, thanks for sharing the event link too!

Tom

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

Old Piper, Van Sant airport (9N1) in Erwinna PA is a nice grass strip to visit on your way down to Moultrie: http://www.vansantairport.com/. I think it's close to your route. Beautiful grass strip, nice museum and good practice for landing on side slopes.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

Old Piper
100+ Posts

Post by Old Piper »

Hi Andy,

That's the type of Airport / Air Strip I'm looking for. Ones like that is just far enough that allows for stretching the legs along the way, while getting some aviation history! Who knows, maybe I can get my second ride in a glider too!

Now I need to find something in VA or WVA as well. It'll be nice to have a route all planned out with these special unique stops along the way. Food locations are always welcome too!

Thanks Tom

drak130
100+ Posts

Post by drak130 »

Tom,

Probably mentioned before but BQ1, Carthage, NC has an outstanding restaurant on the field. PicknPig is the name. Checkout the website as they are closed on Mondays and Tuesdays I believe.

Tim

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

Tom, a unique airstrip in the western part of VA is Bryce Resort (VG18) in Basye VA. Here's their website: https://bryceresort.com/. Airnav's information is at https://www.airnav.com/airport/VG18. They have a 2,240' x 50' paved runway in a valley close to the West Virginia border. They have a pretty good restaurant and a nice 18-hole golf course within walking distance of the airstrip. If you land on Rwy 23, your final approach will be level with the condo decks. I've sometimes seen people on their decks drinking wine while they watch the landings. If you land on Rwy 5, you might fly right over golfers before touchdown. There's a small ski area with a lift there, too.

One of my best memories of my father-in-law was when he and I landed there in my Maule with our golf clubs, walked over to get a golf cart and played 18 holes of golf on a beautiful fall day. There were very few people on the golf course but there were people skiing in bathing suits on the man-made snow.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

Gary Raser

Post by Gary Raser »

I am planning on going to the fly in. Hope to see you all there
Gary

psehorne

Post by psehorne »

Can someone provide a report on the Maule and All Factory Fly In 2020?

Thanks
Paul
ASEL, ASES, AMEL, Rot/Heli, Instrument Airplane, AGII, UAS
2004 M-4-180V N799ZZ
Hidden Valley Airpark 5TX0, Shady Shores (Denton), TX

fly2all

Post by fly2all »

Overall A good time as always. Low ceilings on Friday delayed my arrival as well as postponed the Poker Run until Saturday morning. Eight planes including a Kitfox, Citabria, Helio and Husky participated in the round trip flight to two local airports and two private grass strips. Kenneth in his Kitfox had the best hand. About the same amount of aircraft participated in the bomb drop and landing/takeoff contests, including a few first time participants. A category for other than Maule with less than 100Hp was created which included the Kitfox and a good looking Luscombe. I flew my Maule down from Massachusetts with my Son and Maule owner Brad made the trip via commercial airlines from California with his daughter, so we came from near & far. We enjoyed watching a demonstration flight of a Maule on floats utilizing Maule Lake as well as demonstration flights of the Swamp Monster and fly-over and landing of the group of I think Glassair planes that stop by every year (correct me if I'm wrong). A pig roast Saturday evening preceded the award presentations and raffles. Brad won the Garmin watch!
It was a much needed break after all the cancelled events this year and I look forward to next year. Thank You to the Maule family and friends who put all the work into the prep, cooking and clean-up as well as the sponsors.

psehorne

Post by psehorne »

fly2all, thanks for the report. Wish I could have been there.
Paul
ASEL, ASES, AMEL, Rot/Heli, Instrument Airplane, AGII, UAS
2004 M-4-180V N799ZZ
Hidden Valley Airpark 5TX0, Shady Shores (Denton), TX