Maule Air at the Texas STOL Roundup

Discuss or announce upcoming gatherings.
DirtDobber

Maule Air at the Texas STOL Roundup

Post by DirtDobber »

Maule Air, Inc is going to be a sponsor at the 2018 Texas STOL Roundup in Hondo. September 28-30 at KHDO. Brent and company will be there in a new Maule.

Both the Roundup Staff and Brent would like to see a good showing of Maules at the event. So if you're even considering it, I'd encourage you to make the trip. It is sure to be a great weekend.

For the first four years of the competition, Maules have dominated the Light Touring Class. Last year, I was the only Maule to compete...and I won't have one there this year. Don't let a spam can win our class!!! Knock the rust off your STOL skills and show up.

For more info, visit www.texasstolroundup.org/

Hope to see y'all there.

Ross

TxAgfisher
100+ Posts

Post by TxAgfisher »

I am going to try and make it if I can get away the the WX cooperates. Oh, and if the wife doesn’t kill me for leaving her with our two year old and baby to be any day now.
TJ Van Matre

bobguhr
100+ Posts

Post by bobguhr »

I'll be doing my best to make it as well

LCDRLES

Post by LCDRLES »

We will have two Maules going
1984 M5 180C, N5654B
1956 Cessna 180, N4971A
1977 7GCAA, N1165E

DeltaRomeo
100+ Posts

Post by DeltaRomeo »

Damn, we'll be in New Mexico (doing what we bought the Maule to do). Too many commitments to bump it. Happened last year, too. :?

What about Justin W? Haven't heard from him in a while.
M5

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

Any word on weather for the weekend? Not looking spectacular so far, any chance the event will be delayed. If so has anyone heard of new dates.

TxAgfisher
100+ Posts

Post by TxAgfisher »

Mog wrote:Any word on weather for the weekend? Not looking spectacular so far, any chance the event will be delayed. If so has anyone heard of new dates.
I'm hoping it is rescheduled - it was IFR Thurs/Fri and into Sat am last year.
TJ Van Matre

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

Weather in Big D is looking better this weekend, but Hondo is still a bit iffy.

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

Weather just isn’t feeling good still. Who is still planning on trying to make it. It’s so close yet still so far for me if the weather doesn’t cooperate. I’m on the fence but leaning towards just flying local this weekend.

LCDRLES

Post by LCDRLES »

I think we will have to pass, also.
I can’t risk not getting back to West Texas on Sunday.
1984 M5 180C, N5654B
1956 Cessna 180, N4971A
1977 7GCAA, N1165E

TxAgfisher
100+ Posts

Post by TxAgfisher »

LCDRLES wrote:I think we will have to pass, also.
I can’t risk not getting back to West Texas on Sunday.
Everything north and west looks fine to me, it's east and south that look like an issue.
TJ Van Matre

DeltaRomeo
100+ Posts

Post by DeltaRomeo »

Phil has the results posted:

http://www.texasstolroundup.org/past_events.html

Congratulations to Ross McRea and David Isham for making a good show with the Maules!
M5

DeltaRomeo
100+ Posts

Post by DeltaRomeo »

Can I trouble someone for a pirep of the STOL competition? We had to be out of town (with the Maule) and really curious for an update. How many Maules made it, weather, attendance, etc?
M5

multimauler

Post by multimauler »

Dave
Attendance was light. I think 23 planes total in the competition. Maybe another 30 planes flew in to watch. If I remember correctly there were 5 Maules. My M6, an M5, a MX7-180, a M7-235, and one long wing early 90’s model (Ross borrowed and flew it for the competition). The weather was not great. Getting there was tough because it was low ceiling IFR across lots of Texas. Once there we got pretty lucky with the rain. Except one section of the bush class was straight up in the rain on downwind while they were competing. As soon as they finished we had a rain delay as the rain moved over the grass runway. So classes after the rain had to deal with really wet grass and a little of a tail wind. But the runway did hold up well all considering. Phil and volunteers did a great job and put tons of work into making it a great event. Hate for them that the weather was bad for the second straight year.
David
2007 C182T
2011 M6-235
1965 PA-18-150

DeltaRomeo
100+ Posts

Post by DeltaRomeo »

The weather has been lousy since Sept 5. We can't get a dry spell (been praying for drought, since that is all we get; one extreme to the other...). I managed to get a small window to get out for our NM trip and another lucky spot to get the plane back into the hangar once back home. The rain has liquified the clay runway and the cattle and horses have destroyed it. It is still raining today...

There has been nothing said about the STOL competition anywhere else so I figured I'd get some info from y'all. I figured the weather we were dealing with was also affecting the competition. It rained from Baja California to the hurricanes on the east coast and all points in between during that time.

Did Brent attend?
M5