Solar Eclipse

Discuss or announce upcoming gatherings.
Undaunted
100+ Posts

Solar Eclipse

Post by Undaunted »

Monday is the big event across the US.

We are headed to Wyoming/Idaho in the next few days. Hope to be in Southern Idaho for the event...perhaps Stanley, Smiley Creek or Atlanta.

Anyone else doing a flying destination to see the sky go black?
If so where are you going??
1999 M7-235C

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

I'm pretty close to the event here in Nc my fly down to Triple Tree as they have a flyin planned. Either way I have my eclipse glasses and a filter for the camera.
Kirk Johnson
If god had meant man to fly he would have given him more money

Chris in Milwaukee
100+ Posts

Post by Chris in Milwaukee »

captnkirk wrote:I'm pretty close to the event here in Nc my fly down to Triple Tree as they have a flyin planned. Either way I have my eclipse glasses and a filter for the camera.
Jared Yates will be down there in his Bearhawk as well. Seems like a good place to watch!
Christopher Owens
1993 MX-7-180A
Members: AOPA EAA VAA

snaproll

Post by snaproll »

Headed to Perryville, MO Sunday to camp and watch on Monday - weather permitting.

CaseyM
100+ Posts

Post by CaseyM »

Captnkirk, did you make it to triple tree? We had a flight of 4 with 2 maules there.
N1042Z
97' MX7-180C

snaproll

Post by snaproll »

Perryville, MO

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Post by Mountain Doctor »

We had 97% here and I worked so did not go anywhere.

I saw on the TV there were 300 planes waiting to takeoff at Madras!
I am an AME in Richland, Washington. Please call for an appointment!

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

snaproll

Post by snaproll »

I was amazed at the difference between 99% and 100%. If you get the chance to see the total eclipse in 2024 don't miss it. I hope I'm still around for that one.

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Attended a great little eclipse party at Eagle Aviation in Columbia SC. They had cleared the large maintenance hangar, set up tables, and had a great BBQ spread. They provided glasses for anyone who did not have them and provided a large area on the ramp as well as from inside the hangar for viewing.

Check out the pinhole camera effect created from a hole in the hangar door and the projection of the eclipse on the hangar floor. You could even hold it in your hand.

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

I was still fighting a bit of food poisoning. I went out back watched it go by we had about 95% I guess. Then went back inside and back to bed.
Kirk Johnson
If god had meant man to fly he would have given him more money

TomD
100+ Posts

Eclipse

Post by TomD »

What are folks using after photobucket started asking a premium for posting images on third party sites? I noticed gbarrier just posted from Photobucket, did you pay the premium?

In any case this is a sorta long video of our landing at Lands Inn 49OR for the eclipse. According to what I heard the end of the runway was the precise center of the totality path.

Video is a bit long but I got into the scenery. Camera is mounted outside the mains so the parallax is weird at ground level.

https://vimeo.com/230709998

Flyhound
100+ Posts

Another Lands Inn video

Post by Flyhound »

I joined TomD at Lands Inn in Central Oregon. Here's the video of my trip down and the eclipse that followed. It was an absolutely fabulous time! The gathering at Lands Inn was small, so I got to talk to everyone there and met some great people with all kinds of airplanes. I'll probably go back even if no eclipse is happening. The next total solar eclipse is in Chile & Argentina in 2019. I wonder if Rezrider is ready to fly back down there? Thanks to TomD for taking the video of my departure.

https://youtu.be/OOEAHgzXuxo
Last edited by Flyhound on Tue Feb 01, 2022 8:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
Por mares nunca dantes navegados - a line from a Potugese poem about exploring the unknown.

Flyhound
100+ Posts

Post by Flyhound »

"
gbarrier wrote:You could even hold it in your hand.

"

Now that's just plain cool!
Por mares nunca dantes navegados - a line from a Potugese poem about exploring the unknown.

TomD
100+ Posts

Photo app test

Post by TomD »

I have been looking for a replacement for Photobucket since they are making posting on third party sites difficult and/or expensive.

Interesting that on Backcountry pilot the images are automatically scaled where here they are posted at full resolution. Any thoughts on this?

Will work on it. Aha!! Choose "Huge Thumbnail in Imgur (www.imgur.com) "View and edit post" tool and then choose "Huge Thumbnail" at the bottom. Copy BBcode and paste directly into message (don't use "img" tool at the top of the message box.)

Last edited by TomD on Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

That is very cool. The sky was the color grey here. As expected.
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!