Oshkosh 2017 from the Pacific Northwest

Discuss or announce upcoming gatherings.
maulem5210c

Oshkosh 2017 from the Pacific Northwest

Post by maulem5210c »

My son and I are planning to fly our M5 to the fly-in, basically following I-90 from the Tacoma Washington area.
Seeing if others are planning on going and what day are you leaving from where?
It would be great to fly with a couple other Maules.
I plan on leaving around 5am on the 19th of July
1977 M5-210c (upgrading for back country fun)
Building RV-8

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

I plan on going but will be flying up from North Carolina. Not sure yet when I will leave ,some times weather is more of a deciding factor. One nice thing about getting in early is you will park a little closer to the action. I will be working with the American pilots union again but I'm free during the day so we will have to get together
Kirk Johnson
If god had meant man to fly he would have given him more money

1:1 Scale
100+ Posts

Post by 1:1 Scale »

We haven't nailed down if my son and I are going this year or not, but we'd be down to fly with a small group. We'd be leaving from S21, so it would be easy to meet up along the way.

I haven't even looked at the dates yet...

Flyhound
100+ Posts

Post by Flyhound »

I'm seriously considering KOSH this summer too. There are some family issues to iron out, but if successful, I'll be flying my MX7 from 0S9, just north of you. If I go, I'd prefer to make a leisurely trip out of it. Are you planning to make a marathon flight, or will you stop and smell some grass strips along the way?
Por mares nunca dantes navegados - a line from a Potugese poem about exploring the unknown.

gregorydshanks
100+ Posts

Oshkosh

Post by gregorydshanks »

I've never been but would like some advice/comments about camping with your plane. Do you need to bring food or is their enough available there? Is it too warm for a wife to be comfortable in a tent?

Flyhound
100+ Posts

Post by Flyhound »

The weather is all over the map. It certainly can be hot and muggy and thunderstorms are regular visitors. There is lots of food available on site, but the last time I went it was pretty lousy. Lots of fast and greasy food with unhealthy ingredients. That might have changed, but I'll be taking some more balanced fare to be sure I don't pop an artery. We don't go for the food or comfort though. The showers are pretty good and they run a lot of people through them. They have crowd management and support down to a fine science. My wife went once, and that was enough for her. This will be my fifth trip and my third flying in.
Por mares nunca dantes navegados - a line from a Potugese poem about exploring the unknown.

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

Greg last year I bought jacket at the show but only needed it one day. The rest of the week was a little more typical of the season. My wife use to be more flexible but now I don't think she would have been happy all week. Maybe in a camper but I think her days in a tent are numbered. As far as food I bring food for breakfast and maybe a couple of lunches but I also work at a union function and eat there. There are plenty of food vendors but not always cheap.
Kirk Johnson
If god had meant man to fly he would have given him more money