Friends

Discuss or announce upcoming gatherings.
gbarrier
100+ Posts

Friends

Post by gbarrier »

Flew up to HKY today to visit a friend in his new facility and realized it was across the ramp from the Forest Service hangar. Stuck my head in to say hello to Andy and finally meet Brian in person. Truly a good visit.

From there to the west to pop in at CaptnKirk's. Hope he didn't see me plopping on with that ugly quartering tailwind but I know he saw that squirley little old takeoff. Oh well.

It was a good day.

MauleMechanic
100+ Posts

Post by MauleMechanic »

Was great to finally meet you. I wanted to talk more....maybe you can stop by again.

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Thanks. Will do.

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

Glad you stopped by, Gary. Your Maule looks great! Your Bendix King KT 74 ADS-B transponder is awesome. You were fortunate to already have a GNS 430W that gives you a WAAS position source for the transponder as well as WAAS approach capability. I'm still poised on the edge of the ADS-B Out installation. I don't have a WAAS GPS so I need a 1090 ES transponder that has an internal WAAS GPS module. I'll probably do what Kirk did and get the Stratus ESG. I like what he did with mounting his Stratus 2i ADS-B receiver under the panel and connecting it to the ESG for power and antenna. I move my Stratus 2 back and forth between the Maule, the C185 at work, and CAP aircraft that I fly so I need a portable ADB-B receiver. If I had the ESG/Stratus 2i combination like Kirk in the Maule, then I would still have a portable Stratus 2 for backup in the Maule and for portable use in the other aircraft.

One of these days I'll join you and Kirk for barbecue at the Pik-N-Pig.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Thanks Andy

I do like the KT74 (it's actually built by Trig) and the 430W setup but I guess you have twice the chance of failure as opposed to a transponder that does it all like the Stratus ESG. If one already has a 430W and a KT76a it's a no brainer. The KT74 is a plug and play replacement and wiring is minimal.

If you don't already have a WAAS source I think the Stratus is probably the best solution. As I told you we have the Stratus in our Champ along with the 2i screwed fast on the kick panel.

I Think if I had an extra thousand dollars to blow I would look at the LYNX unit. It is certified ADS-B in as well as out unlike the Stratus where the ADS-B in is not a certified unit. I've been told that the Stratus in units (2, 2S, or 2i) will drop targets as it gets overloaded. While I haven't seen this I have seen it drop labels (the N number) on occasion like flying around a busy airport like CLT. It's still the most bang for the buck and I really think it's good enough.

And yes, it's time for the Pig again. You know that restaurant there in HKY is no slouch. They have a real killer of an 8 oz burger with fresh made potato chips.

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

Gary, if you and Kirk really want some good barbecue next time you come to Hickory, we can go to lunch at JD's Smokehouse in Rutherford College. I'll drive from Hickory since they don't have an airstrip at the restaurant.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

VA Maule
100+ Posts

Post by VA Maule »

Did I hear someone mentioned the "Picking Pig" :D
The best Government, is less Government.

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

It is about time.

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

The wife and I are in the Keys this week trying to warm up for a couple of days. Maybe when we get back we can do a BBQ run. We drove down because she wanted to bring our kayaks but after the traffic in Miami I think she wishes we had flown down.
Kirk Johnson
If god had meant man to fly he would have given him more money

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Why do they do that? Mine wants me to drive with her to PA in a couple of weeks. At least I'll get on one of your big birds and come home till time to ride back up and drive home with her. Just call it quality time together.

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

Yes dear oh sorry forgot who I was talking to. We did stop and see the grand kids for a bit and may see some friends down here. You would think after 25 years we would have enough quality time but I guess there is never to much.😎
Kirk Johnson
If god had meant man to fly he would have given him more money