4th Annual Maule & ALL Fly-in

Discuss or announce upcoming gatherings.
Duane
100+ Posts

Post by Duane »

Starting to look like a great weekend. About 15 or so planes here so far. Greg Shanks even bought me a beer!!!!!

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

Just got back home Hope you guys had fun with the stol flying would have liked to have stayed but I work tomorrow and needed to get back before dark. Some one will have to post the results, It was great putting more of the faces with the handles here on the forum. Look forward to some more get togethers.
Kirk Johnson
If god had meant man to fly he would have given him more money

redneck

Post by redneck »

Great meeting everyone. Thanks to Bobby, Kim, Greg and all the other volunteers who helped put the event together, and to Brent, Ray and family. Also special thanks to Ty Wilkes for repairing my tailwheel flat. I'll be there next year. Roger.
Roger
M5-180C

MizzouMaule

Post by MizzouMaule »

Great weekend! As I took off this morning and got flight following, after he gave me squawk, etc, He cam back a few minutes later and since I took off from Spence, asked if I had just bought a Maule or had one repaired. Told him they had the owners' fly in this weekend and he said he had forgotten it was this weekend, and his uncle was probably there....
Then I heard BamaMaule come on the radio and then when the controller came back and asked me more questions that I couldn't answer, Bama Maule joined in! Small world....

ALSO, after gas stop at McMinnville, Tn, I didn't get flight following for the last leg back to Louisville, and as I was nearing the TN/Ky line I was monitoring some unicoms and heard a Maule pilot announcing nearby. We switched to a different frequency and talked for a while, he was on his way back from Northern Fl to home in Lafayette TN. He also has a small grass strip somewhere near his home. Told him he should have started home yesterday and stopped at the fly-in. He may be there next year. Great weekend, thanks to all!
Bill
1998 MX7-180C

BamaMaule

Post by BamaMaule »

It was a great weekend! The weather fully cooperated which resulted in a good number of planes in attendance. Maybe someone can provide the totals. I can remember planes from NH, KY, AL, PA, TX, GA, FL, LA, TN, NC, and probably others I can't recall.

I enjoyed getting reacquainted with people met at previous years' events and meeting new ones that I hope to see at future events.
Greg
1980 M5-180C

Duane
100+ Posts

Post by Duane »

Totals I heard was 38 flyins and 12-15 driveins. It was a great weekend.. hope more can make it next year!

mx180a

fly-in

Post by mx180a »

Thanks to the Maule Family for hosting another great fly-in, kudos to Steve and Caroline for knot tying 101 and a souvenir rope...even though I still tie my shoe incorrectly, maybe I can get remedial knot tying next year!

Duane, thank you for all your help....look forward to next year!

MizzouMaule

List of attendees...

Post by MizzouMaule »

Hope Brent takes all the registration forms and puts together the Maule owners' in attendance and sends the list to all those attended and and provides the names, emails, etc......
Bill
1998 MX7-180C

gregorydshanks
100+ Posts

Post by gregorydshanks »

What a great weekend. It was wonderful to put some faces to the names. I told Ray that we needed to put a flyin together in Anchorage in the spring. Do you guys in the frigid state think that is a good idea?

mx180a

Congratulations:

Post by mx180a »

STOL Magazine was one of the great sponsors this year, everyone that registered received a copy of this magazine in your arrival package. Signing in also auto registered you for a chance to win two free subscription......and the WINNERS are

Winners: Curtis Ingram

Danny Benson

contact Kim at fsaaca@aol.com to learn how to redeem

Again thank you for attending the 4th Annual Maule Fly-In.

see ya'll next year

bob@jackjaw.com

Maule Fly-in 4th Annual

Post by bob@jackjaw.com »

It was great to meet other Maule owners and the staff at Maule Air. Perfect weather on trip down and back. Looking forward to seeing everyone again next year.
Bob Anderson

Duane
100+ Posts

Post by Duane »

Idea: Next year we need name tags with forum names on them. Saves a lot of "Who are you on the forums?"

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

Duane great idea ! We need to get as many owners involved as we can and boost our image. The cub types are good airplanes but I think the Maule's has as much maybe more to offer. We need to spread the word that we can have twice the fun in a Maule with 4 seats. Usualy at a better price to boot.
Kirk Johnson

martinwalker1

Engine problem on way to KMUL

Post by martinwalker1 »

Departed KEZF on Friday for the Maule fly-in at KMUL. Climbed to 6500 and leaned mixture using JPI EDM 700. 2100 RPM and 20" at 100 ROP EGT (I'm never in a hurry) and everything was running smoothly. Just north of KCLT as I was going to pick up IFR and land someplace for fuel, EGT on cylinder 5 started rising. I richened mixture but EGT on 5 stayed around peak EGT (150 hotter than other EGTs). CHT was 340 so I wasn't really worried but I made a 180, climbed 1000' and returned to KEZF. 5 hour flight turned into 12 hour drive.

Did compression check yesterday on cylinder 5 (thinking bad exhaust valve). 76/80. Engine ran rough on right mag and lost 150 RPM during mag check. EGT went to full cold on cylinder 5 during mag check. Checked top plug and it was absolutely clean and white. Swapped plugs from cylinder 5 and 3. Problem moved to cylinder 3 (high EGT).

Didn't know a bad plug would do this (my ignorance). Engine ran smoothly entire time. Guess the slow burn on one plug causes EGT to rise significantly / fuel still burning when exhaust valve opens. Love engine analyzers. Won't fly without one. Wouldn't have known about a problem without it until I got to GA. and checked MAGs for return flight.

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

Glad it was just a bad plug. It was great meeting and speaking with you and your wife . John Watt, Compass Avaition does my work at EHO I would recommend him to any in the CLT area needing maintance. We enjoy drop in company at NR42 so stop by anytime.
Kirk Johnson