RAF STOL Tips seminar w/Backcountry Aviation

Discuss or announce upcoming gatherings.
MizzouMaule

RAF STOL Tips seminar w/Backcountry Aviation

Post by MizzouMaule »

Just attended the RAF STOL tips seminar in Tullahoma.WOW! If you REALLY want to learn to land short, take this course. Base, final approach, all at 45 MPH with the stall horn going the whole time. Really teaches the capability of the Maule!

You WILL land short!

Saturday ground school, Sunday flying with instructors from Backcountry Aviation. Eric Davis, Georgia state liaison for the RAF constructed a great 2 day event that gives you the knowledge on Saturday and then actual flying on Sunday to put those skills to use.

Great thanks to Patrick Romano, Dave Dunteman, and Ken Wittekiend for the instruction. Also great hospitality from Charles Parish at the Beechcraft Heritage Museum.

They're planning to do it again next year, so definitely watch the RAF calendar, it will fill quickly next time!!

The Maule owners that were at this one will surely be the favorites to win the contest at this year's owners' fly-in!!
Bill
1998 MX7-180C

BamaMaule

Post by BamaMaule »

I'll second what Bill said. Great instruction and great fun! Always good when you can learn things to make you better AND have fun in the process.
Greg
1980 M5-180C

Flyhound
100+ Posts

Post by Flyhound »

Who set this up? If like to pick their brains and see if a similar course could be assembled elsewhere. Replicating this 3 day event somewhere on the west coast would open the doors to another crop of pilots and Maule owners.
Por mares nunca dantes navegados - a line from a Potugese poem about exploring the unknown.

truthinbeer
100+ Posts

Post by truthinbeer »

What does RAF stand for? Well I know what it stands for but that is apparently not what you think it is. ;)

mx180a

Post by mx180a »

usernameguy

Post by usernameguy »

Hi guys. We haven't scheduled another one yet, but we did build 5 runways in WY in order to do them locally without having to bang up any public strips. We are still working out the logistics up there.

We have done 2 under this format and they seem to work out nicely. We are trying to keep the costs down and keep it accessible. Basically if we can round up15-20 people that covers our costs.

If you are interested shoot me an email or keep an eye on our website:

www.backcountryaviation.com

-patrick

Wyflyer
100+ Posts

Post by Wyflyer »

Patrick, I saw you on TV. Wish I'd seen it sooner, I might've let down for a closer look. I flew right over that area few weeks ago on my TX-NM-WY-OK-TX barnstorming trip.

And, this one time at band camp I scared myself good in that same area on a northbound flight trying to beat a southbound snowstorm to Douglas. But that's another story..

Keep us informed!
we allow darwins law to take its course. -chris erasmus

usernameguy

Post by usernameguy »

Wyflyer wrote:Patrick, I saw you on TV. Wish I'd seen it sooner, I might've let down for a closer look. I flew right over that area few weeks ago on my TX-NM-WY-OK-TX barnstorming trip.

And, this one time at band camp I scared myself good in that same area on a northbound flight trying to beat a southbound snowstorm to Douglas. But that's another story..

Keep us informed!

I haven't watched the show hopefully it wasn't super hokey. Pretty neat spot though. Here is a link the seminars and videos of the airstrips:
http://learntolandshort.com/upcoming-seminars/