Oshkosh 2016

Discuss or announce upcoming gatherings.
John Ashcroft
100+ Posts

Post by John Ashcroft »

Did you buy the AOA indicator?

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

Yes I did I was at the Maule tent when an Aircraft spruce sales rep came by. Told her what I wanted she called over to the desk but they where sold out of stock. Anyway she must have thought I was with the factory she had them order me one and ship it to my house no charge and no tax. Well I went to pay for it at the booth and the price was better than the guys at Safe flight had been quoting by about 20 %. So I quickly paid and asked no questions. Between the LED lights and the AOA my trip to Oshkosh almost paid for it's self. :roll:
Kirk Johnson
If god had meant man to fly he would have given him more money

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

Well the yard is mowed the pool cleaned some of the honey do's are caught up. Time to go back to work I enjoyed meeting up with a bunch of other Maule owners. Hopefully I'll be able to make the Maule Fly in in Sept wanting on my work schedule now. Looking forward to next year.
Kirk Johnson

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

I'd like to see the Safe Flight AOA indicator when you get it installed, Kirk. It looks intriguing. Did you buy an LED landing light? What model?

H&H Propellers is still working on my Maule in Burlington. They should have the dynamic prop balancing done today, which means that I'll pick it up Monday. I'm trying to arrange ground transportation over there so I can fly it back.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

Any pics from OSH? Other then normal stuff in mags?
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

Jim I was working at the union tent a lot so part of my days where taken, so I really did not take alot of pictures. It looks like it was a busy show for some of the venders Maule had quite a few visitors the times I was there. The had a stole demo a couple of days but I'm sure you have seen that. The Martin was impressive but the pros have that covered. Andy I get back Monday if you don't find a ride by then let me know. As for the LED's I bought the Aero LED's with the wig wag function saved over a c note at the show. Aircraft Spruce mis quoted the price on the AOA but it is still a good deal vs normal price an no shipping or taxes adds to that. Not sure when I will get it installed but I'll let you know when it is done.
Kirk Johnson

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

I want to see the AOA also. I've been looking at the Alpha Systems for a couple of years. I really like their indicators but don't care to string tubing thru my wings. Looks like Safe Flight has the right idea.

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Hey Captnkirk, How's that AOA install coming along?

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

Not very well I've been working too much. The shop is booked up for a while. It is a little more involved than some of the lift reserve types but I like the vane. I am hopeful they will get a few days open later in the month.
Kirk Johnson

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Bummer. Anticipation sucks. I looked at the install manual. The vane location seems pretty straight forward but getting the wires from the root out there without inspection holes along the way does seem like a challenge. Hope you get there soon.l

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

I also have the led from Aero to install they have the wig wag function and will take an additional wire also. So I will be fishing a lot of wire through the wing. I'm not sure if we will need to put a new inspection port for the AOA or not. That backing plate may need access best I can tell from the install instructions. Anyway I can't wait to play with it.
Kirk Johnson

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Hey Kirk, still waiting?

stick_rudder
100+ Posts

Post by stick_rudder »

To run addition wires through the wing leading edge, I removed the wing tip, bought a long piece of PVC pipe and slide that through the wing to the wing root. Then new wires slide nice and easy through the wing. Secure the wires at the wing root end while pulling the PVC pipe out, all done.

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

I like the way you think

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

Gary not yet still waiting for John to get an opening he has a couple of twin Cessna's in for annuals. He does have another guy in the shop now so that should speed things along. I've been flying at work so much that I really haven't had time to do anything. I do have some time off coming next week and I want to get my swing out windows and new latches done. I did squeeze in a quick flight with a buddy looking for a plane. He is on the fence with a Maule or a 180/182. Paul has a place in KY says he can get a 1000 to 1100 ft with clear way at one end. We did a couple of to/landings at my place up hill and down hill so he could see. Did a couple light then filled up and put some weight in the back so he could see near gross performance. I'll let you know when I get the aoa done.
Kirk Johnson