Belly Pod - Interest?

Discuss or announce upcoming gatherings.
BatMaule
100+ Posts

Belly Pod - Interest?

Post by BatMaule »

At the Alaska Airmen's Show this past weekend, a few of us talked at some length with Randy Apling who runs Carbon Concepts about doing a belly pod for our Maules. He had on display his latest all carbon fiber belly pod for a PA-18. A beautiful piece of work with a massive loading hatch and a fully opening rear door. It weighs 15lbs, is certified at 150lbs carrying capacity (real world MUCH more!), and is removable from the airplane in just minutes. The quality is absolutely top notch. There are some other manufacturers out there but Randy is the only one doing this in full carbon fiber and has actually had this on the burner for Maules for quite some time now. He is definitely interested in doing it (after hunting season) and flat out told us he needs an order of 5 pods to make it happen. I'm in and I'm pretty sure Mark L. is as well. So that's 2/5. I know this isn't something everybody needs/wants but, for me, the ability to carry long and unwieldy things like skis and lumber, stinky things, flammable things, and also on occasion - rear seat passengers AND gear, make this a very attractive prospect. And, no, it isn't Certified but at least here in AK, pods have traditionally been one of the easier things to field approve. No firm price either but it sounded to me like a reasonable expectation is under three airplane units.

Just putting it out there in hopes that we can get another three Maule drivers interested. I'll be happy to keep the dialog with Randy going.

Paul
1983 M6-235
The "BatMaule"

akflyr

Post by akflyr »

Yes Paul I'm all in.It would be right up there with the extended gear as the next best mod to the Maule. Im working on the T3 tail wheel now.We will see how it goes tired of replacing springs.

John Ashcroft
100+ Posts

Post by John Ashcroft »

I would be interested in one

stick_rudder
100+ Posts

Post by stick_rudder »

Count me in. Randy said the pod would have a removable fuel cell as well, I love it.

Maule988ms
100+ Posts

Post by Maule988ms »

Any idea of the price?

AndrewK
100+ Posts

Post by AndrewK »

Just this past weekend I was joking around telling my wife we need a trailer to pull behind the Maule so we can bring more stuff when we go on trips so this could help.
I can't commit just yet but definitely interested.

UP-M5
100+ Posts

Post by UP-M5 »

make sure he knows about factory weld-on float fitting locations, to prevent interference.
M5-235

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

AndrewK wrote:Just this past weekend I was joking around telling my wife we need a trailer to pull behind the Maule so we can bring more stuff when we go on trips so this could help.
I'm pretty sure the solution to your problem is another Maule for the wife to fly behind you. We need another in the hanger anyways.

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

AndrewK wrote:Just this past weekend I was joking around telling my wife we need a trailer to pull behind the Maule so we can bring more stuff when we go on trips so this could help.
I've actually been thinking for a while now that it should be technically possible to have a glider/trailer in tow, with it's flight path slaved to the towing plane, via servos to the control surfaces. Towed glider would take info from the tow plane on what it was doing/where it was going, and adjust as needed to stay perfectly in trail. Upon landing, it would gently apply its own brakes to keep slight tension on the tow rope; easily sensed with a load cell on the rope attachment point. Do-able I think, but I can't imagine getting it certified...

ajak
100+ Posts

Post by ajak »

I'm definitely interested. Any rough idea on dimensions, or maybe a preliminary drawing?

AJ
AJ
1983 M-6-235
IO-540W1A5D, 81" Hartzell, 4" ext gear, 31" tires, Atlee exhaust, long wings, VGs, LED ldg/nav/strobes, EDM-900, CiES

AndrewK
100+ Posts

Post by AndrewK »

Mog wrote: I'm pretty sure the solution to your problem is another Maule for the wife to fly behind you. We need another in the hanger anyways.
That's not a bad idea. And you're right, can't have too many Maules.
Andy Young wrote:
I've actually been thinking for a while now that it should be technically possible to have a glider/trailer in tow, with it's flight path slaved to the towing plane, via servos to the control surfaces. Towed glider would take info from the tow plane on what it was doing/where it was going, and adjust as needed to stay perfectly in trail. Upon landing, it would gently apply its own brakes to keep slight tension on the tow rope; easily sensed with a load cell on the rope attachment point. Do-able I think, but I can't imagine getting it certified...
I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who started down this path. I kept thinking of the gliders used during D-Day as my inspiration. In terms of certification would an unmanned glider be any different than a banner? Are banners required to go through some FAA approval?

Although it would be awesome to experiment with something like this I think the belly pod might be a less complicated solution haha!

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

There are pictures somewhere of an M5-210Cpulling Two gliders across Australia for delivery I believe.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

BatMaule
100+ Posts

Post by BatMaule »

Pretty sure the belly pod is simpler than the glider!

Sounds like we have at least 3 committed and a couple more considering strongly. As I said up front, I don't mind continuing the dialog with Randy and can post details on dimensions, capacity, pricing as we get farther. I think the exciting thing is just that Carbon Concepts is interested in doing it in "small batches" and, after seeing their pod for the cub, would say that the quality, low weight, ease of removal, and details like the fuel cell is way ahead of the competition.

Just take a look at your mission and decide whether or not the extra capacity and/or ability to carry non-standard cargo is something you want. Feel free to PM me as well and we can talk on the phone. This may not happen but it WON'T happen unless we can place a minimum order with Carbon Concepts. You have time to save your nickels, too. I'd say best case, it would be mid-2017 before any of these are made but, again, I'll post back with that information when I have it.

UP-M5: Noted on the float attach points. I'll be talking more with you at the Hudson fly-in!
1983 M6-235
The "BatMaule"

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

It would sure be nice to have some extra fuel on board from time to time!
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

YELLOWMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by YELLOWMAULE »

At this point, the belly pod is estimated at about $2600. This is a rough estimate as he needs to determine if it'll be approximately the same size was a wide body Cub. The length is about 60", the fuel "cell" mounts in the front, is about 13 gallons and the whole affair can detach in about 10 minutes. There will have to be two tabs welded onto the fuselage but in my mind, that's an easy fabric patch for the trade off. The standard Cub models weigh about 15#.
I think I'd prefer the pod vs. extended baggage. You'd be hard pressed to put 80# in extended baggage.
AK guys, if we want to progress with this idea, we need to find Randy a fuselage he can use this winter. A straight fuselage with gear legs for the mock up.
Live it like its your last day.