Belly Pod - Interest?

Discuss or announce upcoming gatherings.
chazdevil
100+ Posts

Post by chazdevil »

I'm very interested.
Our paperwork hurdles are somewhat more daunting here in the lower 48.
Not enough to discourage me if we can wrangle some supporting paperwork from the AK installs.
So, make that a headcount of 4.
Chaz
79 M5 235Turbo

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Rather than welded attach brackets, straps that wrap around the lower longerons would be better. No welding and the basis is that's how Edo floats are attached to a Maule at rear points. It only needs two slits in the fabric at each attach point and a dab of silicone sealer.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

benflyn
100+ Posts

Post by benflyn »

UP-M5 wrote:make sure he knows about factory weld-on float fitting locations, to prevent interference.
It would be nice to utilize the rear float fitting in a way that does not interfer with the float install. It would save having to weld on the tabs, for us that already have the rear float fittings installed.
Just a thought.
As I hurtled through space, one thought kept crossing my mind - every part of this rocket was supplied by the lowest bidder .
John Glenn

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

I think Sutton aircraft Salvage has a straight M-5. If I remember correctly, it was blown into saltwater by the wind and totaled. There are two in Big Lake that are just sitting in various stages of repair but I don't know if the owners would be willing to share. There is an M-4 sitting by Stoddards that has not moved in the 10 years I have been flying...
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

Isaac

Post by Isaac »

I will buy one if it is less than 20 lbs and $3,000 or less.

BatMaule
100+ Posts

Post by BatMaule »

Excellent guys. Glad there is interest and we are pretty much there on the order count. Also some good comments to consider and I'll be sure to discuss them with Randy. Good lead on the fuselages Jeff. I also have an M4 fuselage and a set of standard length gear and oleo struts. (I should know the answer to this but are the M4 and M5 later fuselages dimensionally identical except for the tail section?) I know where there might be an M5 fuselage that could be used. We'll find the right one. I'll get ahold of Randy this coming week and let him know the Maule community is serious and can commit to a minimum order and start working through some of the specifics.
1983 M6-235
The "BatMaule"

cubnak

Post by cubnak »

Yo Paul, count me in on the pod, I'd buy one in a heartbeat, one of the best mods I've ever done to the Cub and have been thinking about how to make the extended baggage happen, I think this would be the simpler (and better) option!
Your bird flying yet?
Ern

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

In the past I had a Citabria that had been used for fish spotting. It had a 60 gallon belly tank (Sorenson as I remember) it attached to the frame with a couple of clamps similar to Adele clamps. these where then attached to straps that held the tank in place. They went from one side of the frame clamp under the tank to the other side of the frame clamp. When the tank was removed the clamps stayed in place with a bolt to hold them tight on the frame, they never where removed. That could avoid the welding issue for you pod. Any way just an idea I thought might work for the pods. Sounds like a very useful mod good luck.
Kirk Johnson
If god had meant man to fly he would have given him more money

YELLOWMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by YELLOWMAULE »

Randy's brother owns the STC for the Sorenson pod for the Maule. It was for spraying.
Live it like its your last day.

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

It's been a while since I sold that plane but as I remember it was a field approval and they referenced the spray set up for attachment. It was in the restricted category until I got the tank removed and I had to get a ferry permit to fly it home because it was over land. We had a great guy at the local FSDO. He was going to update the field approval so I could mount and dismount the tank with just a logbook entry but I found a buyer for the tank and sold it. It was a paper work mess when I bought it but that was reflected in the price.
Kirk Johnson
If god had meant man to fly he would have given him more money

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Belly pod. Is that something that goes between you and the yoke to hold your big old gut out of the way?

ajak
100+ Posts

Post by ajak »

After talking to Randy at the Carbon Concepts booth today, and looking at the Cub version he had on display, I'm really interested now! What do we need to do to make it happen at this point? I'd be willing to commit.
AJ
1983 M-6-235
IO-540W1A5D, 81" Hartzell, 4" ext gear, 31" tires, Atlee exhaust, long wings, VGs, LED ldg/nav/strobes, EDM-900, CiES

akflyr

Post by akflyr »

I'm ready to put down a deposit

Maule988ms
100+ Posts

Post by Maule988ms »

X2

BradleyP

Post by BradleyP »

Any possibility of compatibility with the dual tailwheel version?