2016 Sun-N-Fun

Discuss or announce upcoming gatherings.
gregorydshanks
100+ Posts

2016 Sun-N-Fun

Post by gregorydshanks »

Anyone planning on going to Sun-N-Fun this year?

cooker
100+ Posts

Post by cooker »

YUP!
first time going so planing on being in the Lakeland/Orlando area all week. I suspect whomever is at the Maule booth will be tired of seeing me by the end of the week.

tellicovillage
100+ Posts

Post by tellicovillage »

Yes
Alegiant is my back up plan. :)

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

I'll be there normally park in vintage area be there all week
Kirk Johnson
If god had meant man to fly he would have given him more money

gregorydshanks
100+ Posts

Camping at Sun-N-Fun

Post by gregorydshanks »

Anyone camping at Sun-N-Fun, and if so, any advice?

Flyhound
100+ Posts

Post by Flyhound »

Charging stations are limited and there is a high demand for cell phones, tablets and other portable electronics. If you can bring a large storage battery for charging your devices, or a solar charger you'll be ahead of the game. Insect repellent and sun screen are the other 2 ingredients I was short of when I camped there in 2014. The rest of the advice would all fall along good camping gear and a comfy chair for your campsite and for resting as you cruise the grounds.

There are some pretty elaborate campsites where folks fly in with their planes, but have extra gear trucked to the site for their use. I remember seeing a 2 seat Grumman with a giant cook tent filled with tables, several stoves, pole lanterns, and a generator in addition to his sleeping tent. It turns out he keeps that stuff at a buddy's house in the local area and the buddy throws it over the fence to him once he is parked.
Por mares nunca dantes navegados - a line from a Potugese poem about exploring the unknown.

LT4247
100+ Posts

Post by LT4247 »

As stated, a good battery solar panel works great to keep aircraft battery up.
Charge devices off the battery. Amazon is your friend! Other suggestions:

- Helinox camp chair, table, and cot are really nice (and expensive) and weigh very little.
- A big hat
- long pants (black sand/dust is dreadful) and hiking boots.
- A sturdy back pack for water, food, sunscreen, chair, extra stuff, etc.
- food is improved but still awful. Take what you like if possible.

Have a long camp checklist but this will get you started.
J.R. Lane
GEORGIA
----------------------------
"I say all that big talk is worth doodly squat"!
- Granny Hawkins

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

Plan for both cool and warm weather spring time in Fl can vary a lot. There is not a lot of food stuff in the store normally so either plan on a Walmart run or pack in what you want. I plan for breakfast and lunch for most days and 1 meal a day from the vendors. Buy some bottled water as the facets are shut down most of the year and can harbor some surprises. Every day some one comes around with ice so that is not a problem. Fuel is expensive so I try and refuel close by and buy just a token amount. Bug spray sun screen good shoes a wide brim hat a small back pack to carry all the junk you will pick up . it will also be useful for the showers. Electronics will require some planning. I go to a lot of the seminars and if you sit close to an outlet you can plug in for an hour or so. I have one of those rechargeable battery back ups I use to keep phones and ipads up and as others have said a good solar charger can do wonders. I have a small back pack sized one and I am looking for a little bigger one this year. The small one doesn't have the wattage for the new ipads. The beauty of the Maule was when my son was coming we always had room for all our stuff and room left over. By my self I can bring a cot and I have a small table to eat at, all the luxury of home. Last year my neighbors had a chase vehicle and where very generous giving rides to town. If need be a group can get together and we can rent a car for a day for a resupply trip. Any way I look forward to having a large group down there. oh before I forget tie down gear they are big on getting secured as soon as you get in.
Kirk Johnson

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

Let me add a poncho or some rain gear. You can expect some showers some time during the week and I find a poncho or rain suit easier to deal with than an umbrella.
Kirk Johnson

TomD
100+ Posts

Post by TomD »

Due to Spring time thunderstorms with attendant winds, tie downs that will work in sand are a must.

No defense from a tornado but those are rare.

TD

mx180a

Hope all Maulers will stop by

Post by mx180a »

Vintage Hospitality House
Schedule of events during
Sun-N-Fun 2016

We are here to help and support you
Start your day off with a fresh hot coffee
We are open from 7am till 7pm

Come by every morning (7am - 9am) for
BREAKFAST-IN-A-CUP

Sunday Coffee - limited
Monday Coffee - limited
Tuesday Full Service
Wednesday Pasta Night (7pm till 8pm - $10) Night air show 8pm
Thursday
Friday Fish Fry (7pm till 8pm - $12)
Saturday Pot Luck (7pm till 8pm - $10) Night air show 8pm

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

I should be pulling out my gear for sun n fun but I'm fighting a bad cold. The wife and I came back from the beach then she came down with it while I was working so now it's my turn. I had planned on leaving Sunday but will have to see how I feel. This is my week off hate to give it up to a cold. She is better so I'm milking it as best I can. It's not often I can get breakfast in bed. Ok back to my nap.
Kirk Johnson

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

Wish I could go to Sun-N-Fun, too, Kirk. We're swamped with fires in western NC. I've flown over 40 hours on fires just in March. It's greening up fast and we just got some decent rain last night and today, so I don't think this much fire activity is going to last much into April. Spring fire season isn't officially over until mid-May, so I can't plan on going anywhere very far away in the Maule until then. Have fun (once you get over your cold)!
Andy
1986 MX7-180

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

So one day you'll be too sick to get out of bed and fit as a fiddle and going flying the next. I'd wheels up and the hell out of Dodge pretty quickly that day before she gets a chance to think about it much. That stuff you did for her when you bought the extended gear is all in the past and doesn't count now.

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

It's funny how a wife's memory works. Mine can remember every thing when it suits her needs. She has reminded me I need to plow up her garden before I go. So it looks like one more chore before I'm free. The cold is clearing up so I plan on leaving Sunday or Monday depending on the weather. Both days look good so far. I've pulled out most of my gear checked the stove have most of the beer er I mean food bought. I have asked her to come but her idea of roughing it is a Holiday Inn with no room service. But at least I asked. :shock: I plan on camping in the vintage aircraft area no one can tell a 74 m5 from a 70's model and it's closer to the showers there. Anyone down there feel free to stop by.
Kirk Johnson