Now that's a identifier

Discuss or announce upcoming gatherings.
gbarrier
100+ Posts

Now that's a identifier

Post by gbarrier »

No one in our area will dispute that Gilliam - Mc Connell Airfield, previously 5NC3, in Carthage, NC is the place for BBQ. The Pik N Pig restaurant located on the field brings patrons by land and by air.

Changing the airport from private to public use allowed the opportunity to change the identifier. Still, I'm surprised that they pulled it off. The new identifier is BQ1.

The banana pudding is pretty good too.

Flyhound
100+ Posts

Post by Flyhound »

Dang, that's one of the places I missed while I lived back east. Perhaps we'll fly the Maule back from Washington State one day to visit our son and his wife and stop at the Pik-N-Pig for a meal. That is I might stop there for a meal. My wife doesn't eat meat, so she might have to snack on the banana pudding and cole slaw...
Por mares nunca dantes navegados - a line from a Potugese poem about exploring the unknown.

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

That's a great identifier. We have been there a couple of times for lunch. Well worth the trip.
Kirk Johnson
If god had meant man to fly he would have given him more money

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

My wife and I flew the Maule to Carthage for lunch at the Pik-N-Pig. Not such a good experience. We got there around 1:00pm and there was a huge line. We waited in line for an hour and then got seated. The waitress told us that they were out of all things barbecue but we could have an (expensive) deli sandwich. I can't vouch for the quality of their barbecue but everyone that I talked to strongly suggested that you get there by 11:00am.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Bummer Andy. I've only been there on week days. I understand it gets pretty busy and they sell out on weekends. Parking lot has always been pretty full at lunch time when I was there and always some airplanes. BBQ not cheap either but it is good.

VA Maule
100+ Posts

Post by VA Maule »

Mrs.VA Maule and I stopped in there today for lunch coming back from Charleston SC ,got there about 11:15 and it was about half full we were the third plane. Our meal came out around 11:30 (it was perfect as usual) and before we finished the place was packed and 8 planes parked in the grass. Andy give'em another chance just get there before the locals lunchtime.
The best Government, is less Government.