MT-7-235 Nosewheel Shimmy

Discuss or announce upcoming gatherings.
jkfonz80

MT-7-235 Nosewheel Shimmy

Post by jkfonz80 »

Hey Folks. I've had my MT-7-235 for 3 and a half years (and yes I already know real pilots fly tailwheels, etc. etc.). But I have a serious issue with NOSEWHEEL SHIMMY on landing and takeoff. On landing I put it down usually in the vicinity of 55-60K, good speed, no bounce and around 40K, the nose wheel starts a shimmy dance. Usually keeps the shimmy going until around 10K just before clearing the runway. Right now I have a new Shimmy Dampner seal kit coming from Maule Parts. Hopefully that will help. Next step is a new shimmy damper itself for around $1700. Any suggestions or has anyone dealt with this before. Thanks for any comments in advance. See you in Llano, TX for the 2016 LoneStar Maule Roundup.
JKFonz80
2005 MT-7-235
Super Rocket
N696DG

LT4247
100+ Posts

Post by LT4247 »

Have your engine mounts re-torqued.

You keeping the yoke back on the ground? Fly/handle it like a coventional gear and it behaves better.
J.R. Lane
GEORGIA
----------------------------
"I say all that big talk is worth doodly squat"!
- Granny Hawkins

jkfonz80

Post by jkfonz80 »

Hey J.R. thanks for the reply. Are you speaking from experience with the engine mounts re torqued. I can have that done no problem. Would be nice if that actually was the culprit.
JKFonz80
2005 MT-7-235
Super Rocket
N696DG

bobguhr
100+ Posts

Post by bobguhr »

JK
Had the same problem in my MXT Swapped out the steering yoke and through bolt. Cost less than $200 if memory serves me. Took care of the wheel shimmy, the yoke bolt holes can get elongated and the through bolt bends slightly causing shimmy. Also, helps to keep the font end light as possible, yoke in the lap eliminates shimmy at taxi speed.

jkfonz80

Post by jkfonz80 »

Thanks Bob. I have a really good mechanic out at Fort Worth Spinks. I will talk to him about all of this and tell him about your fix. I am glad to hear I am not the only one that has experienced this. I appreciate your reply.
Kent
JKFonz80
2005 MT-7-235
Super Rocket
N696DG

TimB
100+ Posts

Post by TimB »

Have had the same problem in the past on a customer’s bird, checked and re-bushed and new bolts in the torqued links, still had a shimmy, shimmy dampener checked-ok, replaced the nose tire with a Good Year Flight custom III tire- it has stiff side walls and a square profile not round like most tires, shimmy gone. The tire is pricy but worth it.
Works on Cessna's trikes also.
TimB

jkfonz80

Post by jkfonz80 »

Thanks Tim. I will also look into that fix. Does that type of square profile tires have any wear characteristics that I would have to be aware of. Longevity wise, is it worth the money in your opinion. If it takes care of the shimmy it's worth it either way in my opinion.
JKFonz80
2005 MT-7-235
Super Rocket
N696DG

TimB
100+ Posts

Nose wheel shimmy

Post by TimB »

Long lasting tire with very little wear problems as long as you keep the tire aired up correctly.
I started using the Good Year Flight Custom II tire in the mid 80’s, now the Flight Custom III and have had very pleased customer’s with the tire installation.
TimB