Alaska Fall Flyin

Discuss or announce upcoming gatherings.
crbnunit
100+ Posts

Alaska Fall Flyin

Post by crbnunit »

We had a discussion going on in another thread and I thought it would be better to break it out.

Anyone still interested in meeting up for a backcountry flyin somewhere this fall?
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

I am, but unfortunately, I have restraints. It needs to fall on one of my days off (Sunday or Monday), must happen before I head south (September 15th) and must be in a place that I can get into with 8.50s.

So don't plan around me, but if your plan happens to work for me, I'll do my best to come!

Andy

akflyr

Post by akflyr »

count me in

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

Finally got my bird back yesterday so I am mobile again. Thoughts about where to meet up? Be nice if there could be more of us but I'm still in to go somewhere. Hope this wind mellows before then!
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

MikeW
100+ Posts

Post by MikeW »

I'm still planning to sneak out Sunday afternoon (6th). I'll pm you guys by Friday as we should have a decent weather forecast by then. I'm just planning a one nighter.

mikew

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

Thoughts on where? Perhaps Chelatna Lake, or one of the other strips near the toe of the Kahiltna? Just ideas; I'm open, especially if you already had something else in mind.

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

Chelatna Lodge or ar there other strips in the area? I'm game for anywhere. Just post GPS coord.

Plan on cool. We had frost on the plane this morning!

ajak
100+ Posts

Post by ajak »

Sounds fun, I'd definitely be interested, depending of course on dates/wx/skill level required. Newbie Maule pilot here- pilot skills still lagging airplane capability. ;) Possible date ranges for me would be Sept 4-5, 11-13, or 19-21.

AJ
AJ
1983 M-6-235
IO-540W1A5D, 81" Hartzell, 4" ext gear, 31" tires, Atlee exhaust, long wings, VGs, LED ldg/nav/strobes, EDM-900, CiES

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

Well, Chelatna has great views of mountains across a beautiful lake, assuming nice weather. Good camping available for a handful of planes. There is a lodge there, but the strip is on state land, so public-accessible. The strip is pretty long (maybe 1200-1500 feet or so) and reasonably wide, so should be more comfortable for folks than a true bush strip. I can't swear that everyone will be comfortable going in there, as I don't know everyone's skill level. If you guys decide that you want to do this one, I can try to get some firmer numbers on length. Also, there is a very, very good, super-long strip nearby (called the "Herc Strip") that we could perhaps shuttle people from if that would help. Could camp there too, I suppose, though it's not as scenic.

There are some bush strips quite close by to play on for those that are so inclined.

I go there a lot, so I'd actually be up for someone choosing someplace that is new to me, so I get to explore also, but if no one has a better idea, I think this would work nicely, and I always enjoy going there.

Lat/Long:
N62 26.06'
W151 24.67'

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

I know the area but haven't really spent time there. I always thought that was aprivate strip. Glad to hear otherwise. Where's the Herc strip?

I have other suggestions but it would be the same as they are places I go often!

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

The very end of the strip, east of the windsock, is on private land, but ithats really past the strip proper; it's just a curved part that the strip owners use fro taxiing. The strip itself looks to be 1300' long.

The Herc Strip is about 11.3 sm east of there, where Cache Creek meets the Kahiltna drainage. It's about 4,000 feet long.

MikeW
100+ Posts

Post by MikeW »

Weather permitting, I was going to get out Sunday afternoon and camp out. Upper lake George or Beluga Lake have good spots. The Herc strip is ok if you don't mind the mine tailings. :) Actually, its kind of fun to pan gold dust there....

mikew

Danws
100+ Posts

Post by Danws »

Hi Andy,
I wish I could join you guys, I hope the weather works out well. Fly safe
When will you be heading south for the winter?

Dan

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

I'm up for any of those spots. Knik offers numerous back country strips and pretty much limitless landing opportunities on gravel bars. We camped at the Bold strip at Eklutna last weekend and it has plenty of room for a group. Beluga is good as well. Unlimited parking there.

I know the Herc Strip! I've had the truck all the way back there but I've never landed the plane. Didn't know it was named!

We should firm up a date and location everyone can agree on.

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

Danws wrote:Hi Andy,
I wish I could join you guys, I hope the weather works out well. Fly safe
When will you be heading south for the winter?

Dan
Hi Dan,

Heading south on September 15th. Almost time!