Alaska Fall Flyin

Discuss or announce upcoming gatherings.
Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

crbnunit wrote:I'm up for any of those spots. Knik offers numerous back country strips and pretty much limitless landing opportunities on gravel bars. We camped at the Bold strip at Eklutna last weekend and it has plenty of room for a group. Beluga is good as well. Unlimited parking there.

I know the Herc Strip! I've had the truck all the way back there but I've never landed the plane. Didn't know it was named!

We should firm up a date and location everyone can agree on.
Well, given that I haven't seen any strong preferences emerge, it seems like like the one who started the thread gets to choose :).

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

All right. If you are going to make me choose! I'd say Beluga or Knik. Preference for Knik just because of the variety. There is a LOT to play on out there. I really like the strip just to the right as you exit the gorge for camping. Bring wood.

Date/time? I'm Ok for any day of the weekend. I know someone mentioned Sat/Sun and that is fine with me.
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

Knik is fine with me. Lat/Long on that strip? Is it friendly for 8.50s? Longer than 500 feet?

My days off are Sunday/Monday, though I know most people have Saturday/Sunday. I might be able to come Saturday evening after work; I'm usually done by 7pm is time of year.

MikeW
100+ Posts

Post by MikeW »

yeah, that's a good one...also the meadow strip a little farther up on the left in the big field. Lots of room and ok for smaller tires. I was gonna head out Sunday afternoon.

mikew

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

I don't have GPS coord at the moment but I'll run by the plane and grab them a bit later. If you are familiar with Knik, fly all the way to the toe of the glacier and take a right (south) up the gorge. As you exit the upper end of the gorge, look to the right and land at the first strip you see.

Longer than 500'. Probably closer to 1000' - 1200'. Good for 8.50's. If you are coming in from the north, land a little long as there are a few rocks at that end.

Plenty of parking and camping opportunities. Water if you boil or filter. Bring wood for a fire though.

If you are airborn by 1930 or so you should be good but there are no lights out there! You could always divert to Palmer and fly out in the morning if needed. I'm good with Sun/Mon but am flexible.

The medow strip is great but it has always been a little damp and I like the view from the other one. Plus you can hear the glacier calving all night! Knik is a great playground! Lots of opportunties for fun for all skill levels.
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

Sounds great! So....when? This weekend looks like it might not have the best weather. I could make next weekend also, if you decide that's better. In fact, by then, I'll have left Talkeetna, and will be down in Eagle River anyway. Either is fine with me though.

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

Didn't get by the airport today for GPS coord but I'll stop by tomorrow. Is it just going to be us? No one else has chimed in. If folks would rather go somewhere else, I'm game for most anything.

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

Hmm...maybe we lost the others to more traditional holiday weekend activities. Or hunting.

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

Who not do this weekend AND next weekend?

GPS coord for the Knik strip:
N61*18.698, W148*35.147

Forcast now says partly cloudy Sat - Mon with about a 30% chance of rain. What do you think?

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

Yeah, I could still do this weekend. I was going to go explore a few up in my neighborhood tomorrow; you could join me on that, or I could join you at Knik. Either way. Next weekend I'll leave as tentative for now. If its just going to be the two of us, call me at 720-320-8265.

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

What are you exploring and when? I'm actually off the week of the 14th - 18th. Will you still be around by then?

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

A few strips off the end of the Kahiltna and Ruth glaciers. However, I just learned a moment ago that I have to work tomorrow. So may be able to get out tomorrow evening. I leave the state on the 15th.

ajak
100+ Posts

Post by ajak »

Darn it, I'm working both Sun and Mon mornings too, otherwise I'd love to come out. Apparently working on holidays is becoming "traditional" for me. :-( But if anyone is out later in the afternoon, might go out for a couple of hours (pending weather of course) and sightsee or at least check out y'alls camping spots...

AJ
AJ
1983 M-6-235
IO-540W1A5D, 81" Hartzell, 4" ext gear, 31" tires, Atlee exhaust, long wings, VGs, LED ldg/nav/strobes, EDM-900, CiES

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

Well, not sure how to play this now. I am tempted to say that I'll come out and camp tomorrow night, but I can't commit, as I never know exactly when I'll get off work. If I'll get an evening flight at work, it might make it impossible to safely get to the Knik and on the ground before dark. If a few others were going, I'd say go have fun, and I'll join if I can. If it's just two of us, I'd hate to have you out there and I don't show up.

Any interest in joining for some exploration in my neighborhood (as mentioned in above post) on Monday, just as a day trip? I need to be back in Talkeetna by about 6:30 pm, but I should have the whole day until then.

Ajak, you could come join us in the afternoon, perhaps. I could give you a few possible places to find us, if you're willing to come looking.

Next weekend, I'd like to come play, but I work Saturday, and Sunday should spend packing up my stuff and cleaning up the rental house I'm leaving. I could probably come out during the day Monday and play, and since I'll be in the Anchorage area by then, the Knik makes sense.
Sorry this is getting so complicated.

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

No worries about any of it. Sorry I wasn't able to call yesterday. We got in kind of late and I don't want to be one of "those" people. Trisha and I will be out to knik at about 5 or so if anyone wants to come visit. Otherwise, let's try to make something happen next weekend!

I'm off Fri/Sat/Sun next week Andy. I'd love to explore if you have time and I'm off the entire following week if anyone else is interested. Let me know!