Flying the PNW

Discuss or announce upcoming gatherings.
Danws
100+ Posts

Flying the PNW

Post by Danws »

Rezrider and I will be flying up the Oregon , Washington coast to a destination of the San Juan's on next week, planning on 3-4 days itinerary is a bit vague. based on weather, if anyone would like to join in , PM me

Dan

maulem5210c

PNW

Post by maulem5210c »

Once you get a idea of your timing, please post. I'd like to join up with you. I fly out of Spanaway (S44).
1977 M5-210c (upgrading for back country fun)
Building RV-8

flyusn99
100+ Posts

Post by flyusn99 »

Dan,
I'm in Oak Harbor just next to the San Juans. Please PM me when you have your itinerary.
Expect pretty hazy conditions from all the wildfires up here, the San Juans are still pretty clear but the north side of the Olympic Peninsula is pretty hazy from the wildfire that's been ongoing just to the South West of Mt Olympus (which is also in a TFR).
If you need gas, consider a stop here at Oak Harbor, 100LL is $4.95 which is cheaper than anywhere else in the Sound that I've seen.
Good luck and hope to perhaps link up with you.

James

TomD
100+ Posts

Post by TomD »

+1 on gas prices at KOKH Nice little airport. Some swirly winds on occasion but have long runway to get it back on center line. Pretty significant downhill when landing to the West.

Here is video that might give you an idea of the smoke in the Puget Sound area yesterday. Friday it was not bad due to NW winds but winds died down Friday night....very good thing for firefighters on East side who had 50mph gusts on Friday.... and the smoke came over the hills and settled into the Sound.

Don't know what the tops were, but I know at 2200 it got pretty thick and I flew at about 1800 for the Challenge Air flights out of KPAE.

https://vimeo.com/137073938

TD

Danws
100+ Posts

Post by Danws »

James.
We should be in the area around Thursday or Friday I'll contact you when we get closer thanks for the fuel pirep

Dan

Danws
100+ Posts

Post by Danws »

The plan is for us to be at copalis state between 5-6 pm on wednesday then back down to spend the night at pacific city, then on to port townsand for thursday night, then Stuart island Friday night
If any one wants to join us pm me

Dan

Danws
100+ Posts

Post by Danws »

Flyusn99--- Pm. Me. Im having trouble sending emails

Dan

Danws
100+ Posts

Post by Danws »

Maulm5210c. Pm me I cant seem to send pm's

Dan

TomD
100+ Posts

Post by TomD »

Posting this for Danws:

Here are the five Maules on Copalis Beach (S16) on last Friday as we Joined Rezrider on their less smoky journey to the PNW.

Near to far: Dan (Danws), Paul and Sarah (Rezrider), Allen and son Noah (maulem5210c), Tom (TomD), Christine (Christine) and friend Heidi.

Was a beautiful day on the beach.

TD

Image[/img]

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Thankee TomD
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

chris erasmus
100+ Posts

Post by chris erasmus »

great pic, looks like a fun trip

Flyhound
100+ Posts

Post by Flyhound »

I'm sorry I failed to reserve sunshine and blue skies for the crew around the San Juan Islands. Our planned flight to Stuart Island was scrubbed due to high winds, low ceilings and horizontal rain. Still, it was great meeting the crew in Port Townsend. The first attached weather graphic shows average wind speeds in knots. The second graphic shows the rain. The 3rd graphic shows our intended destination on a clear day. The grass strip is on the Island's bump on the east side, with water on both ends of the runway. Sigh. Given the weather conditions, it was a good day to stay on the ground with a beer and tell old flying stories. We'd love the chance to host Danws, Rezrider, TonD and others for a future attempt on the islands. Don't let one bad weather incident affect your future plans. This can be a great place to fly!

Por mares nunca dantes navegados - a line from a Potugese poem about exploring the unknown.

Christine
Site Admin

Post by Christine »

I posted a few more pictures from the excursion to Copalis beach under http://maulepilots.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4203 Where did you fly today.
Christine
06WN '88 MX7-180 MaulePilots.org Founder
ck "at" maulepilots "dot" org

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

Worked from Vegas back to CLT but got home and heard Gary had stopped by after a lunch run with his son. I need some weekends off. Great photos of your get together. Triple Tree in South Carolina has a fly-in this month and the Maule home coming is coming up hope to make those.
Kirk Johnson
If god had meant man to fly he would have given him more money

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Triple Tree for sure, Homecoming possibly. SC Breakfast club meets are kind of fun in our area too.

Sorry I missed you but your wife was nice to talk too.