Valdez

Discuss or announce upcoming gatherings.
Andy Young
100+ Posts

Valdez

Post by Andy Young »

Weather's starting to not look so good...

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

They've been forecasting rain / snow this weekend since last week down there.... You never know up here though, maybe we'll get lucky!!
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

Looking pretty grim at the moment. Still 100% chance of snow today with accumulations of up to 12". 3-5" tomorrow though the weather cams show none sticking so far. Current conditions are low clouds and ground fog, 33* and raining with a wind chill of 21*. Thompson Pass is pretty much socked in this morning.
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

Dang, looks like they got their forecast right for a change, of course would have to be this weekend. Imagine snow's sticking thru Thompson Pass or nasty icing... Heard scud's down low, low over water from Cordova direction as well?
Jim

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

Cordova is a little better but winds gusting 12-18kts. Haven't looked at Gulkana or Tahetna pass. That is a long way around. Currently 30* with ice pellets in Valdez. I don't think I'm that dedicated today. We'll see what the weather is in the morning.
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

Looks to be lifting some... 300' scattered. 1500' ceiling, 5mi viz at Valdez, winds variable at 3KT... Wonder what it looks like thru Thompson Pass or down the Copper River?
Jim

JDW

Post by JDW »

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

Yeah, someone on Supercub.org counted 30 as of 0900.

As of a few hours ago, it was looking like I could probably make it there, but I decided that it wasn't going to be worth the effort, to go hang out in the cold rain for the weekend. Of course, I'll be second-guessi myself all day now...

JDW

Post by JDW »

Still got Chicken Stock, Bettles Bush Bash & Lake Minchumina rock skip to shoot for I guess?

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

Yeah, though I doubt I'll get any more weekends off all summer.

Watched the Valdez STOL competition live in the web (someone was streaming it through their phone. Bobby Breeden got a 33 ft. takeof and a 20 ft. landing with their new experimental Cub. I gotta a chance to look at that plane at the Airmans' Show in Anchorage last weekend. It's sort of a Supercub version of the Just SuperSTOL. So bigger and heavier, but with more horsepower, and a similar, but beefier long-travel gas strut suspension on the main gear.

I should have gone, but by the time I knew that, it was too late.

chris erasmus
100+ Posts

Post by chris erasmus »

If anybody has video of the event, please post the link, that's about as close as I will be able to get to the event :lol:

JDW

Post by JDW »

chris erasmus
100+ Posts

Post by chris erasmus »

Unbelievable, fantastic piece of flying

YELLOWMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by YELLOWMAULE »

Watched Marcus fly through Palmer Friday in a near deluge. That was a cold ass ride to Valdez! The boy has stones for an open cockpit here in the Spring.
Good on Chet Harris for representing the Maules! Even though it was a DQ, he pulled off an 80' landing.
Next year, we'll be back in proper form!
Live it like its your last day.

chris erasmus
100+ Posts

Post by chris erasmus »

Next year I must make a plan to get there. Does anybody know if there is a commercial flight from anchorage go valdez.