Isle of Man TT 2015

Discuss or announce upcoming gatherings.
crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

Adam wrote:I could be up for this. I used to race sidecars so i get the best of both worlds
You are a brave man. We you the pilot or the monkey?
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

Adam

Post by Adam »

I was the monkey clambering all over the back. It was a formula one outfit with a GSXR 1100 engine. Spicy!
I Maule over it

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

A brave man indeed!!
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

Njacko
100+ Posts

Post by Njacko »

OK, here's a plan: an “air bridge” from SW Scotland to the IoM TT.

Accommodation on the island is long since booked up, but it’s only 30 minutes from Glenswinton (of which 10 over water) and at that time of year (30 May-12 June) the days are long enough to fly over, have breakfast, watch some racing, have a swim, drink some lemonade and fly back in broad daylight for what might technically be a “night” landing. Sunset will be about 2200, and aeronautical "night" 30 minutes later. Or fly back a bit earlier for a curry.

The first week is for practice on the 37 mile circuit from 1830 to 2100 each evening. Racing is then on alternate days in the second week, subject to weather. I think we might plan to go once or twice during practice week and for one or two days during the second week, WX permitting.

This plan has a fair amount of flexibility, so if it pours we can get wet on a big island instead of a small one. In between race days, folks can visit Hebridean islands, Irish farm strips, grab a city-fix in Edinburgh or Dublin, hunt roe deer, or just hike in the mist and rain... On the principle of supporting the most affable of Scotland's robber barons, we should also drop in to the Castle Kennedy fly-in on May 30, where the Earl of Stair will cheerfully relieve us of a few quid for landing on his WW2 runway and eating his venison burgers.

I did a recce between Xmas and new year:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2TJJaOrTDtU
There are some nice airfields in the North of the island, and Ronaldsway airport in the South. Low airspace within 1 km of the course is reserved for air ambulances during racing and practice. From EGPK to EGNS no need for any prior notification, but if flying to one of the private airfields the captain must notify a constable at least 12 hours prior.

At the moment I have expressions of interest from a Swiss C175, a Husky, a Cub, a couple of Maules, a Condor and a CAP 10. If anyone who hasn't already said so is remotely interested, either as Pax or P1, please drop me a line and I’ll add you to my list of co-conspirators.

ATB, Peter.
MX-7-180 N280SA

G-MAWL

Post by G-MAWL »

Mountain Doctor wrote:IOM is a bucket list item for me.
I'll get a physical when you're over then it can be a business expense !! :wink:

Njacko
100+ Posts

Post by Njacko »

OK folks, TT practice has started, and here's the summer weather to go with it:

METAR: 011650Z AUTO 15012G34KT 3700 RA OVC011/// 08/08 Q0992

But if it doesn't get any worse we're hoping to go one evening this week and then on Saturday for the Superbike and Sidecar races...
MX-7-180 N280SA

Rezrider
100+ Posts

Post by Rezrider »

those guys might have to file IFR to race their bike around the island!
1980 M5-235
Four Corners