6/27/2008 - BCP 3nd Annual Summer Fly-in -Johnson Creek, ID

Discuss or announce upcoming gatherings.

Will you come?

Maybe, maybe not, I can't say yet, I will decide later but don't count me out just yet.
36%
75% or better I'll be there.
64%

Total votes: 28

RobBurson
100+ Posts

6/27/2008 - BCP 3nd Annual Summer Fly-in -Johnson Creek, ID

Post by RobBurson »

Please come if you can. Last year we had more Maules than anything else.

We're locking this in way ahead of time this year! Due to late summer fire danger and having to cancel in previous years, the other groups are planning their fly-ins earlier at Johnson Creek too. The Super Cub group will be there the weekend prior.

I just copy/pasted/edited from last year's thread, all the info is like deja vu:

The Event
3nd Annual BackcountryPilot.Org Summer Fly-In

The Location
Johnson Creek, Idaho (3U2)

The Date
June 27-29, 2008

The Players
You, me, whoever wants to show up and claim to have read our forum.

Ok, we've locked down the date. It sounds like MauleManiac was able to scribble our names onto the caretakers' roster for the group campsite. All we need now is some nice clear weather.

Here's a report from 2006 , and another writeup from 2007.

If you haven't flown into that area of Idaho before, it can be intimidating to consider. This will be my first year going in as PIC, so it's a topic I have been thinking about recently. Here's a good thread with some info about that very topic. If you have anything to add, put it in that thread.

I will have a fresh load of T-shirts with me if everything goes as planned. I know I've really dropped the ball on shirts in the last year...I hope to make up for that.

This is a get together of friends who want to sit around and BS in an environment we love. Outside of that, you're on your own. There won't be a pancake breakfast or any food provided, although we will probably do a group dinner on saturday evening. I'm going to bring my fly rod, although I couldn't tell you what the fishing in June is like in the area, or if it's even allowed.

Make sure you're competent
Unfortunately, we lost one of our friends last year who had flown in for the event. BCP member Berk Snow crashed his 172 into rising terrain while flying up a valley below ridgetop altitude. It was an eerie irony, as only a week earlier he had posted asking for techniques on how to recover if you find yourself in that exact situation.

Get mountain flying training, know the risks. Know your aircraft's performance limitations.

Regards...Rob

Casey

2008 FlyIn

Post by Casey »

I am a first time visitor to the Maule forum. I have a MT7-235 based in Portland, OR but also spend a lot of time in British Columbia. The 2008 FlyIn info reads like a good event. Any rules of engagement for first time participants I need to know about? I noticed there were one or two other newbies that might also attend. Any info about the FlyIn, what to bring, contact info, etc.. would be appreciated. Thanks.

"Case" :roll:
Case

iceman
100+ Posts

Post by iceman »

Case, check the other thread on this site.You don't need anything special. If you've airplane camped before you know what to bring. :wink:
Iceman

RobBurson
100+ Posts

Re: 2008 FlyIn

Post by RobBurson »

Casey wrote:I am a first time visitor to the Maule forum. I have a MT7-235 based in Portland, OR but also spend a lot of time in British Columbia. The 2008 FlyIn info reads like a good event. Any rules of engagement for first time participants I need to know about? I noticed there were one or two other newbies that might also attend. Any info about the FlyIn, what to bring, contact info, etc.. would be appreciated. Thanks.

"Case" :roll:
Hi Case, I am close to you when you are in Portland. I work in Portland for the FD. What do you do? Where do you keep your Maule? My M7 is at TTD

Here is another great forum. The same guy, Zane administers both of em. Hope to meet you some time. We have a great bunch of guys on both of these forums. Most of the guys hang in both places.

http://www.backcountrypilot.org/forum/p ... php?t=1074

Mulino 2-08 by Airport Cafe

The best advice I can give you for JC. Be good at slow flight. Fly light, and early.

Casey

Post by Casey »

RobBurson

When I am in Portland, I usually base at Hillsboro. I have an office in Tigard and one in Salmon Arm, British Columbia. How long have you had your M7? You going to the June Fly-in?

Case
Case

YELLOWMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by YELLOWMAULE »

Know the low end of the speed envelope for your plane as if it were the back of your hand. Listen to the local knowledge of the wind and thermals. A good rule of thumb is to be on the ground by noon. Know the density altitude calc.s for your plane and know that as the new guy to the fire, you're expected to bring a reasonably good bottle of single malt for sharing.
These are the primary rules for survival at these flyins.

iceman
100+ Posts

Post by iceman »

Yes I agree. I routinely have a bottle of at least 15 year old single malt in my hangar in the freezer for medicinal purposes, to be sure. I'm sure the thin air in JC will require a dose or two of "medicine". :wink:
Iceman

RobBurson
100+ Posts

Post by RobBurson »

Casey wrote:RobBurson

When I am in Portland, I usually base at Hillsboro. I have an office in Tigard and one in Salmon Arm, British Columbia. How long have you had your M7? You going to the June Fly-in?

Case
Case, hi. Salmon Arm is beautiful, been there once. Do you work for COE Newnes McGehee?

Yes on the June flyin, I got the M7 Oct 06. Love the M7 hate the 14 GPH

Cheers...Rob

jmtgt
100+ Posts

Post by jmtgt »

iceman wrote:Yes I agree. I routinely have a bottle of at least 15 year old single malt in my hangar in the freezer for medicinal purposes, to be sure. I'm sure the thin air in JC will require a dose or two of "medicine". :wink:
If memory serves that is my medicine...... :lol: you cannot be giving it away on me now..... :roll:

Casey

Post by Casey »

Hey Rob,

Got the Flyin info. Thanks. Might be able to allocate some of the "useful load" to some Scotch malt. Depends on how much fuel I want to carry into JC. Yes, Coe Newnes McGehee is where I spend a lot of my time. Apparently you know the company...how so?

Case
Case

iceman
100+ Posts

Post by iceman »

jmtgt wrote:
iceman wrote:Yes I agree. I routinely have a bottle of at least 15 year old single malt in my hangar in the freezer for medicinal purposes, to be sure. I'm sure the thin air in JC will require a dose or two of "medicine". :wink:
If memory serves that is my medicine...... :lol: you cannot be giving it away on me now..... :roll:
No as you know, John, Newby's like Casey are obligated, according to Maule Pilots.org rules, to provide us old timers with the single malt medicine. :mrgreen:
Iceman

RobBurson
100+ Posts

Post by RobBurson »

Casey wrote:Hey Rob,

Got the Flyin info. Thanks. Might be able to allocate some of the "useful load" to some Scotch malt. Depends on how much fuel I want to carry into JC. Yes, Coe Newnes McGehee is where I spend a lot of my time. Apparently you know the company...how so?

Case
Case, we make fluorescent lumber markers for grade mark readers. My company bought a GMR from your company to test our crayons. I drove to Salmon Arm to get trained and bring the GMR home. www.amark-flm.com

Small world

Cheers...Rob

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

I'm too lazy to start organizing a flyin elsewhere this year so think the BCP at JC in June is the way to go. We can always have more throughout the year anywhere.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

iceman
100+ Posts

Post by iceman »

I figured you'd be there anyway Jeremy. Hopefully more Maule'rs will come since there doesn't seem to be a fly in scheduled yet. I guess the "Cubbies", are the weekend before... No offense Cubbies.... :lol:
Iceman

RobBurson
100+ Posts

$50.00 prize at BCP flyin

Post by RobBurson »

I have a $50.00 bill for the pilot or passenger who has the best item we all should carry.

We will all vote on the best item and the winner gets the dough. I'm out.

Good luck come June....

Rob