Smithsonian "Become a Pilot Day"

Discuss or announce upcoming gatherings.
Flyhound
100+ Posts

Smithsonian "Become a Pilot Day"

Post by Flyhound »

The Smithsonian Air and Space Museum's Udvar Hazy center is hosting a "Become a Pilot Day" event on June 14, 2014. They have invited a bunch of private aircraft covering a wide spectrum of aviation history to the event. Our Maule was one of the planes selected for display. That means I get to fly in to Washington's Dulles Airport (KIAD) earlier that morning without paying landing fees. Then I'll taxi over to the museum and park with the other small plane guys. The display will include everything from Stearmans and a Brunner Winkle Bird to an MU-2 and a 777. All in all, 31 aircraft are participating. I'll make a movie of my arrival just because it is a place I'll never fly to again. It'll be a hoot.

http://becomeapilot.si.edu/
Por mares nunca dantes navegados - a line from a Potugese poem about exploring the unknown.

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Good going, wave that Maule flag.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

Flyhound
100+ Posts

Post by Flyhound »

We flew our MX7-180 into the Smithsonian's "Become a Pilot Day" celebration at the Udvar-Hazy Center on Saturday, 6/14. This video was compiled for our non-flying friends, so be patient. Also, I know I dragged it in on the engine rather than a steep approach on the back side of the lift/drag curve. I wanted a squeaker arrival on the pavement, not a solid impact landing. It was a good event overall with lots of young people. I hope some of them take up flying!

http://youtu.be/Bo8RuIVzhBA
Por mares nunca dantes navegados - a line from a Potugese poem about exploring the unknown.

MAU MAU
100+ Posts

Post by MAU MAU »

Excellent video and thanks for representing all Maule enthusiasts!
MXT-7-180A Comet