Engine Failure, Cargo Fire and a Heart Attack

Discuss or announce upcoming gatherings.
MAU MAU
100+ Posts

Engine Failure, Cargo Fire and a Heart Attack

Post by MAU MAU »

I thought some of you may be interested in what an airline pilot experiences during their recurrent training. At American Airlines that is every 9 months at our a Flight Academy in Texas.

We have the normal classes of security, human factors that analyzes recent carrier incidents, systems review for our respective aircraft, and a flight manual brief class that reviews the legality of various approaches.

After the classes are complete, we move to the simulator portion of the training. This is comprised of a 2 hour brief with a simulator instructor and then 4 hours in the simulator itself.

We practice Engine Failures, Engine Fires, Cargo Fires, Flight Control and Landing Gear malfunctions, Loss of Generators, Unreliable Airspeed and Flight Instruments, Low Visibility Approaches w/300' RVR, Single Engine Approaches and even more fun, Single Engine Go-Arounds.

Here is a picture of the Boeing 767-300ER we used for the above practice. Notice that the simulator is in motion and the bridge is up.

The following day is the actual Check Ride itself with an FAA Designated Check Airman. This includes a 2 hour Oral that covers Systems, Legalities, Operations, etc, etc, etc...............And you better know the answers.

Next is the actual simulator check itself. The first 2 hours we did RNAV Approaches, Wind shear and Terrain Escape Maneuvers, Unreliable Airspeed, Maximum Crosswind Landings, etc.

The next 2 hours we were to fly a flight from KSLT to KDEN. This entire portion of the check ride was performed as if we were actually on the line with normal distractions like passenger problems, fueling problems, restricted cargo, icy runways, low visibility, etc.

While on the line most flights go quite smooth, but on our check ride that was not to be. We were given Anti-Ice Malfunctions, Severe Turbulence, a Cargo Fire, a passenger with a heart attack, Low Visibility at KDEN with a malfunction during the Approach which required a Go-Around, etc.

Below is a picture of the Boeing 757 simulator awaiting it's next victim. The Check Airmen is inside programming the computers in an attempt to make our lives miserable.

Below you can see the inside of the simulator with the Captains and First Officers seat, and behind us is where the Check Airman sits and evaluates.

Below is a picture after we Passed with the Check Airman in the center and my highly qualified and well prepared First Officer on the right. After 28 years of American Airlines Check Rides they are still a high stress event that can end a career. Showing up well prepared is the true key to success.

MXT-7-180A Comet

st8cop166
100+ Posts

Post by st8cop166 »

That would stress me out.
Former Maule owner . . .twice
1960 PA18 N87314

VA Maule
100+ Posts

Post by VA Maule »

As bad as an IRS audit.

truthinbeer
100+ Posts

Re: Engine Failure, Cargo Fire and a Heart Attack

Post by truthinbeer »

MAU MAU wrote: After 28 years of American Airlines Check Rides they are still a high stress event that can end a career. Showing up well prepared is the true key to success.
Truly? Wow that is tough, but reassuring for us passengers.

Thanks for this insight MM, it is very interesting.

MAU MAU
100+ Posts

Post by MAU MAU »

truthinbeer wrote:
MAU MAU wrote: After 28 years of American Airlines Check Rides they are still a high stress event that can end a career. Showing up well prepared is the true key to success.
Truly? Wow that is tough, but reassuring for us passengers.

Thanks for this insight MM, it is very interesting.
The above is very true and it does in fact happen.

The highest risk event is when a First Officer goes through the training to become a Captain. Most do a stellar job in the upgrade process, but a few are unable (even with additional training) to make it through.

At most airlines, an individual that is unable to make it to through the Captain upgrade is allowed to return to the First Officer position for the rest of his/ her career.

At American Airlines this is not the case. You are asked to resign or you are terminated regardless of length of service.
MXT-7-180A Comet

LT4247
100+ Posts

Post by LT4247 »

Whatever they pay you, it ain't enough!!!
J.R. Lane
GEORGIA
----------------------------
"I say all that big talk is worth doodly squat"!
- Granny Hawkins

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Post by Mountain Doctor »

Thank you so much Mau Mau for sharing your experience. I find it very interesting. Thanks also for the pics, I appreciate you think about sharing them with us.

Some days I deal with a heart attack, pulmonary embolus (just yesterday in fact), staffing catastrophes, bureaucratic hassles, and Obama Care.

Maybe our jobs are more similar than I thought!
I am an AME in Richland, Washington. Please call for an appointment!

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

TomD
100+ Posts

Recurrent training

Post by TomD »

I am going to bet some foreign airlines don't have this level of training or we would not have seen a 777 land short at SFO in CAVU conditions while being hand flown.

TD

Christine
Site Admin

Post by Christine »

MAU MAU wrote:...

At American Airlines this is not the case. You are asked to resign or you are terminated regardless of length of service.
Really?Your union agreed to that? Whats with all of those who would possibly not pass an upgrade but bypass any upgrade attempts because of that rule? You may not have any less non captain quality pilots at AA than other carriers despite that rule...
Christine
06WN '88 MX7-180 MaulePilots.org Founder
ck "at" maulepilots "dot" org

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

After 28 years of American Airlines Check Rides they are still a high stress event that can end a career. Showing up well prepared is the true key to success.

We have to re-pass our medical board exams every 10 years, and that can break a career also. It takes constant study and a year of dedicated preparation to be ready, but no where NEAR the frequency you have to pass! I am also glad our pilots are so well trained and so current.

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

MAU MAU
100+ Posts

Post by MAU MAU »

Christine wrote:
MAU MAU wrote:...

Really?Your union agreed to that? Whats with all of those who would possibly not pass an upgrade but bypass any upgrade attempts because of that rule? You may not have any less non captain quality pilots at AA than other carriers despite that rule...
It has always been this way at American Airlines. It's either up or out.

A First Officer is forced to upgrade to Captain when a pilot junior to him/her upgrades, so there is no escaping.

More than a few First Officers have retired early because of this.

It even happened back when the 727 was retired and a few Captains were unable to grasp the glass cockpit concept of the Airbus A-300 or Boeing 777.
MXT-7-180A Comet

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Makes a lot of sense. I helped another 135 company for a few years some time back when they lacked the personnel to feel the appropriate required management slots. They had a first officer who will never make it to captain. It was, unlike the airlines, a small company and people were jumping over him on the way up. He got upset every time he didn't get the trip as we were cultivating someone for the next captain slot and it was always a mess. It's one thing to sit in the right seat due to lack of time and or experience but truly another to sit there because of lack of skill. You want that person to be able to handle the situation if the need arises.

After over 30 years I left that world fora part 91 operation with a co-captian who does a better job than I do. Can't do any better. When this one's over I'm over.

truthinbeer
100+ Posts

Post by truthinbeer »

MAU MAU wrote: At American Airlines this is not the case. You are asked to resign or you are terminated regardless of length of service.
They must get sent to Etihad. Fires lit inflight this week - http://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-up ... 6831400670

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

At least you'll never have to deal with a runaway prop, stuck valve, or crankshaft failure. :lol:

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843