Maule Homecoming Maintenance Topics

Discuss or announce upcoming gatherings.
W.A.T.

Maule Homecoming Maintenance Topics

Post by W.A.T. »

Just climbed out from under the panel long enough to realize how close we are to the Homecoming Fly-In date. :shock:

I’m looking for requests and suggestions for the Maule maintenance topics. Please post recommendations here and I will try to include them.

Hope to see everyone here at Wright Aircraft Technology, LLC Saturday Oct. 13, 2007. Planning to get started around 10:00AM or so.
Wright Aircraft Technology, LLC
151 D W Wright Road
Moultrie, GA 31788

Telephone: (229) 324-3163

Lowflybye
100+ Posts

Post by Lowflybye »

- Propper tailwheel upkeep...preventing shimmy
- Muffler tips, tricks, and magic
- Propper wing strut AD compliance

Just some thoughts.
"To most people, the sky is the limit. To a pilot, the sky is home."

Still a bit cloudy when it comes to aviation insurance? Find some clarity: Clear on Top

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

Discussion of wheel alignment and effects on handling, what to look for as far as tire wear and how an A&P can correct it. What the correct bolts in the gear look like, how often to inspect and what the A&P should be asked to look for.

mikemike

Post by mikemike »

What you consider to be critical service bulletins and service letters. Thanks. - Mike

Orion

Post by Orion »

I'll 2nd....3rd....and 4th the tailwheel shimmy problem! Please use my bird for the demo. I've got a 337 into the FSDO asking for mercy and a field approval for a solid dual fork tailwheel. Wish me luck! For now, I've just learned to wheel the thing on! :shock:

RobBurson
100+ Posts

Post by RobBurson »

After I broke my Maule TW, I spent the money for the Alaskan Bush wheel Scott clone. Jody told me to. I CAN NOT make it shimmy. Money well spent. Rob

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

Hey,
I offered to send Rob a free Maule tailwheel, but he got smart and BOUGHT the AK bushwheel. I can keep mine from shimmying most of the time if everything's perfect, but you guy's with heavier airplanes, I think your doomed with the factory tailwheel. Please don't bring up that I said so at the factory tour OK :lol:

mikemike

Post by mikemike »

What is the length and width of David Wright's grass strip? Thanks. - Mike

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

Mike,
David will be back from a trip tomorrow, I think. He would know exactly if you called him. There is plenty of room to get a C-210 or a 700 gl Ag plane with a 54 ft. wingspan in there, I've done both. I also know of one person that totaled their Maule by letting it drift into the trees on the side. Give David a call, I'm sure he knows the exact dimensions. Anyone not comfortable could land at Spence field and I could come get you, no problem. It's only about a 5 min. flight.
This weekend is about enjoying ourselves and having a good time, not expanding our flying ability or pushing our comfort level. It's why I intentionally did not include spot landing or short landing or any other "competitions".
I intend to conduct a pilot briefing with a handout including comm freqs, traffic pattern direction and altitude, picture of the landing area etc. prior to us going anywhere as a group, prior to us leaving for the next location.
Anyone uncomfortable with David's strip should land at Spence field and have us shuttle you in, Spence field is of course where the Maule factory is and will be our next stop anyway.
Remember everyone "there are no old, bold pilots"
My belief is the worst thing we could do would be to hurt someone or bend an airplane.

W.A.T.

Wright Aircraft Technology, LLC Runway Information

Post by W.A.T. »

RUNWAY INFORMATION

Runway 12/30
Dimensions: 3500 x 100 ft.
Surface: Grass, in fair condition
Lat/Long: 31-07.226N / 083-35.103W
Elevation: 260 ft.
Variation: 02W (1985)
From MUL: 6.2 miles E of SPENCE FIELD
Time zone: UTC -4 (UTC -5 during Standard Time)

Remarks: 15 to 20 feet tall Long Leaf Yellow Pine trees planted on each side of runway. Taller trees at each end. Hanger is located on the west end of the runway. Best approach is runway 30 (smaller trees), depending on winds.
Wright Aircraft Technology, LLC
151 D W Wright Road
Moultrie, GA 31788

Telephone: (229) 324-3163