Triple Tree Fly-in

Discuss or announce upcoming gatherings.
Flyhound
100+ Posts

Triple Tree Fly-in

Post by Flyhound »

Anybody thinking of attending the Triple Tree Fly-in in Woodruff, SC? It is a turf strip, but at 7,000' long, it isn't a challenging backcountry location! The fly-in runs from September 4-8. Details on their website at: http://www.tripletreeaerodrome.com/trip ... fly-in.php

I may give it a shot. I was thinking of flying down to the First Flight airport that weekend anyway. School will be back in session, and that means smaller crowds in most places.
Por mares nunca dantes navegados - a line from a Potugese poem about exploring the unknown.

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

I'm probably going to the Triple Tree fly-in on 9/7. It's the biggest grass strip that I've ever seen but usually an enjoyable event. It's only about 35 minutes from my home base in the mountains of Western NC.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

MAU MAU
100+ Posts

Post by MAU MAU »

I will most likely wait to see if anything comes to fruition regarding Moultrie.
MXT-7-180A Comet

Tomkatz
100+ Posts

Post by Tomkatz »

I'm hoping to attend both. We are working on getting a small group from the Essex Skypark Assn. to Triple Tree. Hope to see you guys there.
Tom K.

Flyhound
100+ Posts

Post by Flyhound »

I was already planning a trip to First Flight airport in Kill Devil Hills, NC that weekend, so we'll just fold in a stop at Triple tree either coming, or going. It would be great to see some other Maulers while there. The fact that my tires are still small won't be as embarrassing on a 7,000' long grass strip as it would be on an 800' strip.

Are any of you planning to camp on the field, or will it just be a day stop? My wife isn't big on camping, so I have to balance her needs in a way that ensures I retain her as a flying buddy. That said, she can be persuaded to sleep on the ground occasionally.
Por mares nunca dantes navegados - a line from a Potugese poem about exploring the unknown.

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

MAU MAU wrote:I will most likely wait to see if anything comes to fruition regarding Moultrie.
Brent was over here the other day as they had to get the FAA to do a production test flight on an M9, and according to him there apparently will be some kind of factory sponsored fly-in.

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

I've never tried camping at Triple Tree but it would probably work fine. Too hot/humid for me in September. They have good rest room/shower facilities and a nice eating area. We've had so much rain all year in this area that there's a bumper crop of ticks and mosquitos. Be careful if you sleep on the the ground.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

AndrewK
100+ Posts

Post by AndrewK »

Just read the AOPA article (http://www.aopa.org/News-and-Video/All- ... ow-up.aspx) about this fly-in. Looks and sounds like a blast, wish I lived closer so I could visit but I don't know if the runway is long enough or wide enough to land on. :D

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

I spend most of the day at Triple Tree on 9/7/2013. Saw a couple of Maules there but only got to talk to one owner of a M4-180V who is selling his airplane. The other Maule was a M5-235 but I couldn't find the owner and it was gone by the time I got done with the Flying to Alaska seminar.

This was the biggest turnout they've ever had at Triple Tree. The weather was good, but a little warm. There was some low altitude fog east of the airport right at the pattern altitude of 1,700 MSL. Given the amount of incoming traffic, that made see-and-avoid more challenging.

There were some very cool airplanes. Lots of people camping out with their airplanes. Helicopters, seaplanes and a DC-3 were there, too.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

Flyhound
100+ Posts

Post by Flyhound »

I tried to make it this year, but I wound up making a shorter flight to the Wright Brothers Memorial. My wife came along, so it was just a lunch trip with a return home in time to give our dog dinner. Next year I'll hit Triple Tree for sure.

On Sunday of that weekend I was lucky enough to visit a bunch of grass strips in western Maryland and West Virginia. One stop was at High Rock airport (not on the charts, but it shows up on Google maps). The owner there has several antique aircraft and an antique tractor in his hangar and he showed us around the collection. Now that was cool.

Flyhound
100+ Posts

Post by Flyhound »

Triple Tree is having their taildragger and fabric covered airplane lunch this Saturday, 6/7/2014. I'm thinking about flying down, but 338 nm each way makes for an EXPENSIVE lunch even without the $20 registration. I will be more interested in making the trip if I think there will be other Maule pilots there.

http://www.tripletreeaerodrome.com/fabr ... -lunch.php

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Don't have a schedule that far out but unless I have to fly to make a dollar that day plan to be there.

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

I was hoping to fly to Triple Tree on 6/7 but I got roped into a CAP meeting in Burlington that will probably last most of the day. Looks like I'll have to wait for their annual September fly-in.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

like gbarrier if I can duck working I'll be there it's close to me so it's great for a lunch trip. I am hoping to make the Maule reunion also they where handing out cards with info at sun n fun so I'm sure it's a go sept 26-28 weekend Now can I get a weekend off after 28 years is the big question.
Kirk Johnson
If god had meant man to fly he would have given him more money

Kland

Post by Kland »

We are going to triple tree Saturday as well. I was going to be in that area Thursday thru Sunday on a work layover. Started searching this site for things to do in that area when I found y'all taking about it. So thanks to you mentioning it!
Do y'all know of anything else in that area? Especially avaition related. We need to fill the day Thursday and Friday as well. We will be in a car and are willing to drive whatever distance for neat things to see

KL