Triple Tree Fly-in

Discuss or announce upcoming gatherings.
Flyhound
100+ Posts

Post by Flyhound »

Now that I've stirred up the pot about visiting Triple Tree on Saturday, I have to back out. I've been promising my wife a trip to the Basin Harbor Resort in Vermont for a while. They have a grass strip and have cabins along Lake Champlain. They also accept dogs, and that has become important to us since our coon hound is getting old enough that we won't leave her behind at a kennel anymore.

We've had reservations twice this spring and had to back out each time because of weather. Well, my wife found out is was going to be clear to the north this weekend as well as to the south, so she asked why we were headed to Vermont. I couldn't come up with an acceptable excuse, so tomorrow we fly north.

Please take a lot of pictures if any of you go to Triple Tree and I'll try to make it in September. The fall fly-in is on my birthday, so I think I get to go anywhere I want then!
Por mares nunca dantes navegados - a line from a Potugese poem about exploring the unknown.

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

My wife and I flew to Basin Harbor Club and spent 3 days there. Beautiful place on Lake Champlain. The scenery is great along the way. Their grass runway is perfectly manicured and you can tie down next to the restaurant but you need to bring your own tie-downs. There were thousands of sea gulls on the runway when I left and the tractor mowing the grass tried to scare them away so I could take off. I had to taxi down to the far and end back to scare most of them away but even then some were unperturbed by my airplane. There is no aircraft maintenance capability there and I had to do a makeshift field repair on a broken exhaust pipe hanger tab. Their machine shop was very helpful but I'd take some spare parts with you if possible in the event of a flat tire, exhaust strap failure, etc.

I might get to Triple Tree a little late tomorrow if my other meeting let's out early. I found out that they might still have some food and will accept cash even if you don't register online today.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

We'll I didn't make it ended up taking my son to Mattoon Ill. For his civil air patrol flight training. Could not get him on a flight( pilots do not buy airline tickets) and the wx early was ifr so I could not use our plane so I drove to ill and back over the last two days. Then I got a trip to Vegas. No rest for the wicked I guess. I am going to have to work on getting some weekends off. Just can't play with regular folks in this job .
Kirk Johnson
If god had meant man to fly he would have given him more money

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Ended up working too. Seem to work more weekend days than week days.

Expect you're like me thought in that "this job" is what lets us play just not always with every one else.

Looking forward to fall and the big fly in there.

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

Yep since I too was born with a plastic spoon in my mouth and married for love "this job" is it.
Kirk Johnson
If god had meant man to fly he would have given him more money

Flyhound
100+ Posts

Tiple Tree video

Post by Flyhound »

I finally completed editing my Triple Tree video. The end result is a little too long, and I talked too much, but I'm tired of fussing with it. Going over all the footage just reminded me what a great weekend it was. I just wish I could have stayed longer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gaexj33sK4s
Por mares nunca dantes navegados - a line from a Potugese poem about exploring the unknown.

RobHill

Re: Tiple Tree video

Post by RobHill »

Flyhound wrote:I finally completed editing my Triple Tree video...
Thank you for taking the time to put it together. I really enjoyed it.

Rob
Ex Commercial Pilot and CFIAI