North East Maulers connect

Discuss or announce upcoming gatherings.
Tomkatz
100+ Posts

Post by Tomkatz »

I'm not exactly Northeast, more like mid-Atlantic. Just Northeast of Baltimore. I would definitely like to do a camp out in early Autumn. Maybe W35 on the Potomac River North of Berkeley Springs? :D
Tom K.

FARMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by FARMAULE »

Tomkatz, that sounds like a great idea. It would only be about a 5 minute flight for me but would still be fun. A couple of grass ones nearby as well.

Tomkatz
100+ Posts

Post by Tomkatz »

Farmaule,
We will have to do it after Sept. 21. I've been heavily involved in our Wings & Wheels at Essex Skypark (W48). It's going to be a great event and Taildragger friendly. Check out our web site www.essexskyparkassn.org. We have a 2000' strip, grass and a sea plane base. Total grass roots and a new 99 year lease.
Tom K.

Flyhound
100+ Posts

Post by Flyhound »

It would be a small gathering based on the level of engagement here, but I would try and attend. My big problem is that my flight to Virginia from Seattle used up all of my vacation time.

There are rumours of a Maule homecoming being planned at the Maule factory in Moultrie, GA. Apparently Brent is trying to set up something for the November timeframe.

I'm a bit frustrated that I have so little flying time available now that I have the Maule. The plane is hangared an hour and 20 minutes from my home. That largely limits my flying to weekends even though my head is in the plane more often than that.
Por mares nunca dantes navegados - a line from a Potugese poem about exploring the unknown.

Flyhound
100+ Posts

Post by Flyhound »

I'm definitely up for a camp out this fall. It would be great to actually fly with a couple of other Maule pilots and pick up some pointers, or at least learn about some new airports.

Trebor - how are you coming on your gear and wing leveling challenges? If you need an extra pair of hands, I could help out on Sunday.
Por mares nunca dantes navegados - a line from a Potugese poem about exploring the unknown.

MAU MAU
100+ Posts

Post by MAU MAU »

I hope to make the get together in Moultrie, but if anyone is planning a Northeast gathering count me in.
MXT-7-180A Comet

Tomkatz
100+ Posts

Post by Tomkatz »

I'm also trying to schedule the Maule fly-in. I will contact some other Maule owners as well.
Tom K.

Flyhound
100+ Posts

Post by Flyhound »

Tomkatz: What is the process for getting in and out of Essex. Your airport is right under the Class B for Baltimore and I see the floor of the Class B drops down to 1500 right at the airport. I guess the flip side is that you are outside of the SFRA, so you don't have to file an SFRA flight plan. Do you generally chat with approach to let them know where you are, or do you just stay VFR under the Class B and talk on the Unicom frequency?

Flyhound
100+ Posts

Post by Flyhound »

This weekend is my birthday, so I got a "get out of honeydo jail" card both days! My wife is flying to Kill Devil Hills, NC with me for lunch at the first flight airport on Saturday, but I may fly all the way to the Triple Tree Aerodrome in SC on Sunday. They are having their big annual fly-in Thursday-Sunday this year. Their 7,000' grass strip doesn't really qualify as a back country destination, but some interesting planes participate in this event each year. My wife doesn't enjoy fly-ins where the talk centers on all things aviation oriented, so I'm hoping to meet other Maule pilots down there, or perhaps have a couple of you join me for the flight down there.

http://www.tripletreeaerodrome.com/trip ... fly-in.php