Texas Maule fly-in camping checklist needed

Discuss or announce upcoming gatherings.
multimauler

Texas Maule fly-in camping checklist needed

Post by multimauler »

I am new to the forum and instantly got excited about the Texas Maule fly-in. My son, daughter and myself are signed up and anxious. Having never been to a camp on the grounds event and also not a very experienced camper, I was wondering if anyone could share with me what I ought to bring. Probably coming in two planes so I will have some room.
David
2007 C182T
2011 M6-235
1965 PA-18-150

AndrewK
100+ Posts

Post by AndrewK »

Welcome to the board! Glad to see another Lone Star Mauler.

Everyone's list will be a little different but this is what I usually bring when camping under the wing as part of a fly-in:

For the airplane:
Tiedowns, gustlocks, etc.
External cockpit cover otherwise rag or towel to wipe dew off of windshield in the morning.

Basic stuff for the night:
Tent (I have a 2 person tent when it is just me, a 6 person tent when others come along)
Air mattress and air pump (only fits in the big tent, really nice to have but there are lighter options out there).
Sleeping bags, pillows optional.
Warm change of clothes for the evening in case the temperatures dip a little.
Good flashlight or lantern.
Bug spray.

Daytime necessities:
Folding chairs (very nice to have).
Coolers stocked with drinks and treats (dishes and utensils depending on the treats. I've eaten steak out of a styrofoam cup before because we forgot to bring plates, forks and knives).
Sunblock/hat, etc.

Misc:
Trashbags for cleanup.
Towels, TP.
Small radio.

My list changes depending on the location, season and local amenities but the above is what I am planning on bringing unless someone reminds me of something important I forgot.

Looking forward to this fly-in and meeting you and seeing your planes.

Andrew

Russell461
100+ Posts

Post by Russell461 »

ALSO.....

Flight Camera & chargers (Electrical is available at a nearby hangar & FBO)
Video Camera & chargers
Digital Camera

Andrew mentioned Towels. Bring towels, washcloths, & all toiletries. There will be 1 shower available at the airport for the Friday night campers and we have it and 2 more at a nearby hotel we will have access to Saturday night.

Glad you guys are coming. Please describe the 2 aircraft so I can adjust my information on the other thread.

Thanks,
50' DHC-2 MK1
79' C414A Chancellor
70' BAC Jet Provost Mk. 1
39' J3
YouTube Channel: russell461