VALDEZ!

Discuss or announce upcoming gatherings.
Maulehigh
100+ Posts

Post by Maulehigh »

I assume you good chaps will be posting photos / video links of your fun and frivolity? :)
David
'91 MX-7-180

YELLOWMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by YELLOWMAULE »

If anyone is planning on driving over or has an empty seat, or a little room for extra gear, drop me a note if you would. I'm working on getting Young Squire over with Chelle and myself and the kid displaces a bit these days. So if anyone has room for a cooler, 4' table, BBQ, fire pit, camping gear, chairs, small table, rain gear, extra wood, extra fuel or a 6' 220# Wrestler, let me know. :D I'd appreciate it!
Live it like its your last day.

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

Kurt-

You mean your M4 won't haul that load? :roll: Almost sounds like an out of state hunt load for 1 hunter? OUCH!! :twisted:
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

UP-M5
100+ Posts

Post by UP-M5 »

looks like i can go !!
M5-235

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

I may be in as well. I was able to clear out the weekend. When is everyone headed out?
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

akloon
100+ Posts

Post by akloon »

I wish I could join you guys, but I'm in the process of moving to McCall, ID. I've retired from the AK Air Guard and will be flying S-64 Skycranes, fighting fire in the lower 48 for 6 months out of the year.

I'm selling the Baumann floats I've had for 7 years, if anyone is in the market.

I may be changing the paint on the Looney bird this year, so if you are the only person in the world that doesn't have a picture of it, now's the time.

Dave
1995 M-7-235B

BatMaule
100+ Posts

Post by BatMaule »

Hey Dave. Good luck in your new adventures. We will miss you this year. You and the Looney Bird put on a good show in '11. So, what's the matter with your colors? Don't think the folks in ID can handle the "flashiness"?

For those in ANC bowl....what about a 2:00pm wheels up? Depending on wx, we can probably rendezvous in the air either up ER valley if PWS looks good or over B-Wood if the highway is the choice. Chet and Jeff leaving from Merrill. Tim leaving from Elmendorf.

Kurt...you still planning on running over there early?
Ryan...what time can you get out of Talkeetna?

Who else is going?

Paul
1983 M6-235
The "BatMaule"

UP-M5
100+ Posts

Post by UP-M5 »

... guess i better take skis off tomorrow...

i'll be working all day friday. leaving talkeetna around 4 or 5 hopefully.
M5-235

chetharris
100+ Posts

We Will Save You a Spot

Post by chetharris »

Ryan,

Glad you can make it. Is your lovely lady joining you? Any other crew?

YELLOWMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by YELLOWMAULE »

Congratulations Dave, I'll miss hearing the "Bird" in the air. Onward and upward, keep the shiny side up and thank you very much for your service here. I'm sure I can speak for most here in AK, we really appreciate our Air Guard.
Things are slowly coming together for an affirmative for Mrs YM and I. It looks like Young Squire may still attend with a couple of his Mates. The idea of them driving and making a road trip out of it has been floated. I offered to subsidize it, both always helps with teens. After all, parent are no fun.
I'm open for a departure time. The only firm conviction I have is making sure we secure the "Maule parking" :wink: 8) again this year. Positive affirmations and an aggressive stance always works. Tim & Jeff, you will need to tell the Bobbies you're competing even if you change your mind. East end parking, front row.
Ryan's place will be the tent storage spot until he arrives. :wink: I may wind up keeping you company on the way over.

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

Trisha and I will probably not get out of Anchorage until later Friday evening. I'm guessing the earliest will be 1900 and probably a little later. I can't believe the woman has agreed to come! There is a chance we won't get out till Sat. AM. If we are parking as a squadron to intimidate the competition, someone will need to save me a spot! It would be nice to park/ camp in the group! Who are the “Bobbies”?

What is the expectation on fuel availability at Valdez?
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

YELLOWMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by YELLOWMAULE »

Hmm, the Bobbies are the God's of the ramp. She who will be obeyed. They ride bikes, were red vests and carry radios on the ramp freq. Very nice ladies and good at what they do.
Don't plan on fuel. If it's there, be pleasantly surprised. There's talk of someone bringing a 2000-gallon truck to the ramp. No confirmation as yet. Gulkana is pretty reliable. Might want to carry a barrel

chetharris
100+ Posts

Fuel

Post by chetharris »

I am counting on there being fuel. The organizers claim prices will be the same as Gulkana, and they claim there will be fuel. I have always been able to fuel up after the shindig winds down. It has been a cluster a time or two but.... One year there was some rationing, but there has always been fuel. I cannot imagine inviting hundreds of your best friends from the south central and the interior and not having fuel available.

Kurt, Glad to hear the squire is bringing re-enforcements.

Jeff, I hope you and your lady arrive Friday. Otherwise something might "come up". Also, it is hard to hold a bunch of spots.

Our front row spot has much to do with viewing pleasure and expected behavior. The ground folks might ask you to park different places depending on whether you are competing or not. If you fly a Maule or you enjoy interesting company, you should just join the rest of the brethren. Traditionally we park on the east end.

Dave, Does that mean we will not be trading radio call out near Delta. I thought we might talk about our various hunting spots. I hope you get the pass to come north for moose.

Jim, We hope you come on down. It is mostly harmless and mostly tasteful, family fun.

What about Dozer?

I am getting excited to head to Valdez. I hope the weather holds.

Let's try to leave the bowl before 2:00.

Chet

akloon
100+ Posts

Post by akloon »

I'll miss see you guys, sounds like a great weekend shaping up. To answer the questions above,
1. The bird is 'molting' and I can't do the repairs required. (no airbrush talent)
2. I will likely be leaving the bird here for the summer, then I'll fly back up and hunt this fall before flying it down. Last year as a resident!

Look for another thread on a possible pod for Maules. Don't want to steal the thread.
Dave
1995 M-7-235B

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

I don't think I'm going to be able to make it as 2 weekends straight hard to justify with all the work I've got going here... Have you checked forecast for Valdez, looks like calling for RAIN from Saturday thru Tues? Of course that's an extended AK Forecast which will probably change 3 more times before weekend... Good luck to those flying in events, hopefully we'll see some Maule winners!! :lol:
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.