First Annual "LONE STAR MAULE ROUNDUP"

Discuss or announce upcoming gatherings.
TomD
100+ Posts

Post by TomD »

gee I was planning on coming then I saw Obama is going to be in Texas...so I canceled....
Why? You insulted he refused your invitation to your house for dinner? 8)

beaver

Post by beaver »

Obama will be gone, and most of the state will be happier for it. I doubt it's going to rain, so I for 1 plan to be there.

Beaver

Russell461
100+ Posts

LONE STAR MAULE ROUNDUP IS ON !!!!!!!

Post by Russell461 »

LONE STAR MAULE ROUNDUP IS ON !!!!!

Rain or Shine......we have decided to go ahead with our plans to have the 1st Annual Lone Star Maule Roundup on Saturday & Sunday. Come on Friday at your own risk (when the weather may be bad...including hail) and if you do, make sure you have a hangar for your plane on Friday night. The planning team, the Llano Crew, Brent Maule, and others all agree that Saturday's forecast looks acceptable to hold the event so try to get there before Noon for lunch (catered from Inmans). The weather on Sunday looks even better so plan to camp out with us on Saturday Night. See you in Llano ! Fly Safe !!!

This is STILL going to be fun.
50' DHC-2 MK1
79' C414A Chancellor
70' BAC Jet Provost Mk. 1
39' J3
YouTube Channel: russell461

iceman
100+ Posts

Post by iceman »

TomD wrote:
gee I was planning on coming then I saw Obama is going to be in Texas...so I canceled....
Why? You insulted he refused your invitation to your house for dinner? 8)
I wouldn't have Opey Dopey anywhere near my house... you guys have a great fly in.. :lol:
Iceman

DirtDobber

Post by DirtDobber »

This was really a great event. Many thanks to the guys that worked before, during, and after to make it happen. My wife and I had a great time and really enjoyed meeting and mingling with the very diverse, yet very friendly crowd.
It was awesome to see so many Maules and Maule lovers gathered in one place.
Thanks again and we look forward to doing it again next year.
Ross

Russell461
100+ Posts

THE WRAP-UP: 1st Annual Lone Star Maule Round-up

Post by Russell461 »

Hey Guys,

I know you are wanting to see PHOTO's & VIDEO and hear all about the 1st Annual Lone Star Maule Roundup. Give us a few days and we will post up the write-up and Video Link soon. Any attendee's that want to share their photo links, feel free to do so.
50' DHC-2 MK1
79' C414A Chancellor
39' J3

flyingtravs

great job!

Post by flyingtravs »

Kudos to all who made the round up happen! We enjoyed talking with a number of y'all, even though we couldn't fly and therefore only had a couple of hours before we had to turn around and go home. New engine arrived last week!
2002 Maule M-7-235C

AndrewK
100+ Posts

Post by AndrewK »

It was good to meet everyone and see all those Maules all in one place. Can't wait to see some of the footage that was taken since we had to leave early and missed the preview.

Already looking forward to the next one!

TomD
100+ Posts

Visit

Post by TomD »

Iceman;

Consider your cage rattled. :twisted:

Russell461
100+ Posts

It's a WRAP !!!

Post by Russell461 »

The First Annual Lone Star Maule Roundup was held at the Llano Municipal Airport (KAQO) in beautiful Llano, Texas on May 10 - 12, 2013. Llano is situated in the heart of the hill country right on the Llano river. Although the weather forecast was “iffy” at best, it turned out absolutely beautiful for Saturday & Sunday. We did receive some rain on Friday but the storm passed through quickly and then subsided.

Over the course of the weekend, planes came in from all over Texas plus individuals from Mexico, Arizona & Colorado. A total of 24 Maules showed up for the event plus 11 additional non-maule aircraft not counting the local Llano planes. Several planes came in Friday with the majority flying in on Saturday. Some 52 pilots/friends flew or drove in for the event plus all of the local Llano area pilots & community attendees. Approximately 18 people spent Saturday night camping at the airport and flew out Sunday.

The guest of honor was Brent Maule from Maule Air, Inc., Moultrie, GA. Brent had a wonderful time visiting with Maule owners and watching what Maule pilots really do with the airplanes that the Maule family builds. He was so encouraged and excited about the turnout that he now wants to have a Homecoming Fly-in Event in Moultrie, GA at the factory. Plans are underway...

The attendees enjoyed a catered BBQ lunch on Saturday sponsored by Ken Rostron with Hill County Asset Management Services. The Airport, Llano Chamber of Commerce, Cooper’s BBQ, Maule Air, Inc. and a few other local businesses provided items for a free raffle for all Maule pilots. The event planners sold T-Shirts and Caps with $200 of the profits going back to the pilots in the form of $100 fuel drawings. Cade Isham from Decatur, TX and Rob Cathriner from Frisco, TX were the winners. Rich Wellner (rw2 on www.mauleforum.org “the forum”), won the longest flight to the Roundup. He flew almost 12 hours from San Miguel de Allende, Guanajuato (just North of Mexico City) to attend the event.

By mid-afternoon Saturday, the flying competition was underway. 10 aircraft entered the round robin competition including the Flour Drop (from 200’ AGL), the Spot Landing Contest, and the Shortest Landing. Three planes entered the pattern at the same time (4 on the last group) and each had 2 attempts at the Flour Drop, 2 attempts at the Spot Landing Contest, and the final leg was the Shortest Landing Contest. David Beaver (beaver on the forum) in his M7-260 won the Flour Drop. Ross McCrea (DirtDobber on the forum) in his M5-235 won the Spot Landing Contest and Patrick Ramano (usernameguy on the forum) won the Shortest Landing Competition. Thanks to Maule Air, Inc., RL Motorcycles - RL Aviation, and NRS World for providing the prizes. There were multiple photographers and videographers on hand to capture all the fun.

Most pilots drove into Llano for dinner Saturday and a few stayed back and cooked on-site. Following dinner, everyone gathered under the registration tent at the FBO and enjoyed the fellowship and shared stories about the days events. Then it was time for Movie Night. During the day, Rich Wellner, the Maule owner from Mexico, gathered up the media (film & photos) from the pilots and worked on a mini-video that was shown in a large hangar after dinner. It was an awesome video but only a glimpse of the final video recap of the First Annual Lone Star Maule Roundup. (see final video link below).

A special thanks goes to Patti Zinsmeyer, Executive Director of the Llano Chamber of Commerce (and her husband Charlie), Llano Larry and Runway Roy, the Llano Airport Staff, the entire Llano Airport Advisory Board, Jeff Hopf, owner of Jeff Hopf State Farm Insurance and the Lone Star Inn for providing hotel rooms Saturday night, and the Llano community for welcoming this event to their city.

The event planners (Andrew Kudlacek, Charlie Pace, and Russell Armstrong) were extremely impressed by the hospitality of the entire Llano Airport Community and area businesses and made the decision to make Llano the permanent home of the Lone Star Maule Roundup. The 3200’ grass strip (that is also 300’ wide) was in fantastic shape and perfect for camping and flying.

The planners have already started thinking about ideas for next years event and we encourage you to pass along your thoughts & recommendations. We want the Lone Star Maule Roundup to be one of the premier flying events in Texas!

Next years Lone Star Maule Roundup will be held May 2 - 4, 2014. Mark your calendar and don’t miss the next roundup. It will ALWAYS be the 1st weekend in MAY. See you in 2014 !

Here is the Wrap-up Video Link:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_Csq9RsYiQ Many thanks to Rich for putting this video together.
50' DHC-2 MK1
79' C414A Chancellor
39' J3

Duane
100+ Posts

Post by Duane »

It looks like Y'all had a fantastic time there. I'll be looking to meet some of y'all if the homecoming comes to fruition. Heck, I might even bring some beer and even mow our 1500' grass strip.

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

The phtos looked great!
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

Russell461
100+ Posts

Here are my Photos

Post by Russell461 »

50' DHC-2 MK1
79' C414A Chancellor
39' J3

beaver

Post by beaver »

Russell, how do you get to see the photo's on your link ? doesn't work for me.

Russell461
100+ Posts

Post by Russell461 »

beaver wrote:Russell, how do you get to see the photo's on your link ? doesn't work for me.
Is anyone else having the same problem? David, I'll email you the link and see if that works. I didn't take too many photos but I did manage to get a few.
50' DHC-2 MK1
79' C414A Chancellor
39' J3