First Annual "LONE STAR MAULE ROUNDUP"

Discuss or announce upcoming gatherings.
brokenaero
100+ Posts

LONE STAR MAULE ROUNDUP

Post by brokenaero »

Any one flying up to Llano from the Houston Area? My Maule's not done yet..................so no airplane. :cry: I'll be glad to share fuel/expenses, if anyone is going that way. Put me on the list for attendee's, I'll ride or drive if I have to.
Gary
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just; and that His justice cannot sleep forever.-- T. Jefferson

Russell461
100+ Posts

Re: LONE STAR MAULE ROUNDUP

Post by Russell461 »

brokenaero wrote:Any one flying up to Llano from the Houston Area? My Maule's not done yet..................so no airplane. :cry: I'll be glad to share fuel/expenses, if anyone is going that way. Put me on the list for attendee's, I'll ride or drive if I have to.
Gary
Glad you are coming Gary...one way or the other ! I'll add you to the list of attendees !
50' DHC-2 MK1
79' C414A Chancellor
70' BAC Jet Provost Mk. 1
39' J3
YouTube Channel: russell461

Russell461
100+ Posts

Post by Russell461 »

Check the initial Posting in this Thread for all UPDATES about the Roundup. Keep checking back often. We are continually adding more details about the event. 50+ planes is not out of the question ! Don't miss it !!!!!
50' DHC-2 MK1
79' C414A Chancellor
39' J3

Russell461
100+ Posts

Post by Russell461 »

Duane wrote:Wonder if I can talk the powers that be into a TDY trip?
How are the talks going Duane ? There is gong to be a HUGE Maule contingency there. We would love for the FACTORY to be represented ! Brent sounded optimistic when I spoke with him a few weeks back.
50' DHC-2 MK1
79' C414A Chancellor
39' J3

Russell461
100+ Posts

2 WEEKS TO GO

Post by Russell461 »

The 1st Annual Lone Star Maule Roundup is just over 2 weeks away !!!!! :D

Check out the FIRST posting in this THREAD (and check often) to see the updated list of DETAILS and ATTENDEES. It appears the Maule Factory in Georgia will be represented and there just may be a SURPRISE appearance of someone you will definitely want to meet ! If you are not on the LIST of ATTENDEES and know you are going or if you know of other people that will be coming, PLEASE email me at rarmstrong.cfp@gmail.com and let me know so I can add you. (Some people have had difficulty registering on this forum).

I am trying to give the local Airport Board Members a projected head count for the Hamburger Lunch on Saturday the 13th.

Finally, this Tuesday (4/30) is the last day to pre-order (guarantee you will get one) the T-Shirts ! See other thread for details. I have ordered 48 caps so hopefully they will be available at the Roundup but do the PAYPAL thing if you want to insure you get one.

As always, please feel to contact me if you have any questions or need additional information. This should be fun....

Thanks,

Russell A. [/url]
50' DHC-2 MK1
79' C414A Chancellor
39' J3

Wyflyer
100+ Posts

Post by Wyflyer »

Would there be an opportunity to receive some instruction from a Maule instructor at the fly in?

I'm working on a purchase on a Mx-7 160. My insurance requires "trained to proficiency" IE a checkride and signoff, and the instructor must have 5 hours in make/model.
I"ve got tailwheel experience, figure I could get a signoff in an hour or two.

Russell461
100+ Posts

Post by Russell461 »

Wyflyer wrote:Would there be an opportunity to receive some instruction from a Maule instructor at the fly in?

I'm working on a purchase on a Mx-7 160. My insurance requires "trained to proficiency" IE a checkride and signoff, and the instructor must have 5 hours in make/model.
Possibly but it depends on a couple of things....if a CFII Maule Driver attends and insurance coverage. I know there is a CFII that will be attending (tons of tail dragger experience and teaches in a Legend Cub); however, he still would still not be covered under a Open Pilot's Clause of a Maule owner's insurance policy since he does not have 25 - 50 hrs in "make & model". My open pilot clause (in the M7)... 1000 hrs total time, 500 taildragger time, and 50 hrs. in Make & Model. Maybe a CFII Maule Driver on this board will see this post and let you know if they are attending the Roundup and if they would handle this for you.

Either way.....come on down ! The experience of viewing various take-off & landing techniques from the ground would be invaluable and you could probably catch a ride with various excellent Maule pilots that could help you.
50' DHC-2 MK1
79' C414A Chancellor
39' J3

MauleWacko
100+ Posts

Post by MauleWacko »

:shock:
Last edited by MauleWacko on Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wyflyer
100+ Posts

Post by Wyflyer »

Russell461 wrote:
Wyflyer wrote:Would there be an opportunity to receive some instruction from a Maule instructor at the fly in?

Possibly but it depends on a couple of things....if a CFII Maule Driver attends and insurance coverage. I know there is a CFII that will be attending (tons of tail dragger experience and teaches in a Legend Cub); however, he still would still not be covered under a Open Pilot's Clause of a Maule owner's insurance policy since he does not have 25 - 50 hrs in "make & model". My open pilot clause (in the M7)... 1000 hrs total time, 500 taildragger time, and 50 hrs. in Make & Model. Maybe a CFII Maule Driver on this board will see this post and let you know if they are attending the Roundup and if they would handle this for you.

Either way.....come on down ! The experience of viewing various take-off & landing techniques from the ground would be invaluable and you could probably catch a ride with various excellent Maule pilots that could help you.
I don't need to solo someone else's airplane, only need a Maule TW endorsement from an instructor in my logbook, from an instructor who has at least 5 hours in make/model. I'll run this back by my insurance guy again and see if a M4, M5, M6 or MX-??? will work for him.
He indicated some flexibility so I'll pin him down on it.
I'm planning to come up to the fly in but it might be in a Cessna. Unless I can get the purchase completed and the airplane delivered in the next two weeks!

Hopefully someone will see this and respond. And i'm guessing that if I just show up and start asking questions I can find someone.
thanks!

TomD
100+ Posts

sign off

Post by TomD »

An alternative option is to either fly commercial to an instructor with a Maule and take your instruction there, or as I did buy the plane and bring the instructor to the plane.

Some companies want 25 hrs in type before they will sell you a reasonably priced policy.

There are folks on this BB that know lots about airplane insurance that could best advise you on this.

Td

usernameguy

Post by usernameguy »

If you have your plane I may be able to help out. I am a CFI and I have about 1300 hours in my m7 and about 700 in other makes and models of maules. I may be in my carbon cub or a buddies 185 depending on if I get a muffler back on my maule in time. I don't know if this helps, but feel free to PM me if you think I might be able to help.

rw2

Post by rw2 »

My airport in Mexico is closed for resurfacing and it makes it a hassle to try and use my plane. I'm giving serious consideration to tying it down somewhere near Houston and hoping a commercial flight home since I'll only be here for another few weeks after the fly-in before heading to Chicago for summer vacation.

Any recommendations on airports near Houston that would be reasonably priced and close enough to KIAH that I wouldn't spend too much time getting to the big airport?

usernameguy

Post by usernameguy »

rw2 wrote:My airport in Mexico is closed for resurfacing and it makes it a hassle to try and use my plane. I'm giving serious consideration to tying it down somewhere near Houston and hoping a commercial flight home since I'll only be here for another few weeks after the fly-in before heading to Chicago for summer vacation.

Any recommendations on airports near Houston that would be reasonably priced and close enough to KIAH that I wouldn't spend too much time getting to the big airport?
williams is probably the closest, but not real convenient, and probably hard to find transportation. I would just fly into IAH and tie down. the old Garret fbo used to let me tie down there for free. Otherwise IAH is a pain. If you dont want to fly straight in. Then hooks or west houston is probably your best bet and I think fairly equidistant.

Ozy

Post by Ozy »

Ok, now there's not a snowballs chance in hell that I could make it over buuut is there any way I could get hold of a large T-shirt :D please.
M5 235
Old age is a privilege not a right

Russell461
100+ Posts

Post by Russell461 »

Ozy wrote:Ok, now there's not a snowballs chance in hell that I could make it over buuut is there any way I could get hold of a large T-shirt :D please.
Hey Ozy,
Sent you a PM.
Russell A.
50' DHC-2 MK1
79' C414A Chancellor
39' J3