PANCAKES & BBQ

Discuss or announce upcoming gatherings.
Russell461
100+ Posts

PANCAKES & BBQ

Post by Russell461 »

This past weekend was fantastic flying weather in Central Texas ! A friend of mine and I flew from Commerce, TX (2F7) to the McGregor Executive Airport (PWG) in Waco, TX to attend the monthly EAA Chapter 59 Pancake Breakfast. They host this breakfast on the 1st Saturday of each month. The Blueberry Pancakes were worth the trip. Then it was outside to check out all the airplanes. The M7 was a big hit that day.

After breakfast, we flew across the lake to Waco Regional (ACT) to visit Waco Flying Service and see their new FBO / Hangar. Fantastic bunch of guys, awesome FBO & great service. After a short visit into town, it was back to the airport.

It was almost lunch time so we flew to Stephenville (SEP) to eat at Hard 8 BBQ. FYI....the golf carts are no more. You can either walk, call the restaurant and they will come pick you up, or have friends pick you up and drive you to Hard 8. We did the latter and had a fantastic meal with a former Commerce friend. Although I have tried almost everything they serve...I have a new favorite ! Chopped Beef sandwich on their homemade toasted Jalapeno bun, onions, pickles, sauce..... MAN oh MAN....

Then back to 2F7. Needless to say....I skipped supper that night. The only thing that would have made this day better was to have had several other Maules flying along side.
50' DHC-2 MK1
79' C414A Chancellor
70' BAC Jet Provost Mk. 1
39' J3
YouTube Channel: russell461

AndrewK
100+ Posts

Post by AndrewK »

I'll try to make it out next time, sounds like it was fun.
I know of at least half a dozen Maules scattered about Texas, we should plan a "Lonestar Maule" fly-in.

Russell461
100+ Posts

Post by Russell461 »

AndrewK wrote:I'll try to make it out next time, sounds like it was fun.
I know of at least half a dozen Maules scattered about Texas, we should plan a "Lonestar Maule" fly-in.

Now THAT sounds fun. Let's do that this summer !
50' DHC-2 MK1
79' C414A Chancellor
39' J3

DirtDobber

Post by DirtDobber »

Russell461 wrote:

Now THAT sounds fun. Let's do that this summer !
I'd be up for a Texas Maule meet. I would really like it if it was at least as far west as the hill country. I'll be watching for any plans y'all make. Sounds fun.

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Don't wait till summer (heat)
Someone in middle of the state pick a landing site , quiet airport, cow pasture etc, and set a date.
You don't need special eat places or entertainment, you are the entertainment. Grab a sleeping bag and whatevers in the fridge and
Just do it.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

charliepace

Post by charliepace »

Hi Jeremy
Your right on too hot in the summer stuff, May is about right or early June.
Would you and some of the other real backcountry guys consider coming this far? that would make it pretty special.

I'm not in the center of the state but my place is available, 40 acers lots of parking and camping space, 3 kitchens, 6 refrigerators, 6 bathrooms with showers, 2 barns and a hangar to get out of the rain, 2 Harleys, 2 dirt bikes, crew cab pick up, 2 used black cadillacs, 6 tractors, 97 Jaguar roadster, 1000gallon fuel tank 100LL on site, full service airport 12 miles south TKI, Cafe and barbershop 2 miles in down town Blue Ridge, 3 good dogs, no wifes, (wifes are welcome) and a 780' runway clear at both ends.

None of the above is extra special it's just stuff our ex wifes let us keep.

Count me in where ever it happens.

charlie pace

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Charlie, sounds like you have the perfect flyin setup. Your Texas flyers should grab the op I would think. Long way from here unless I'm passing that way anyhow. See what transpires.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

Russell461
100+ Posts

Post by Russell461 »

If there is any question about who came up with this idea.....this comment removes all doubt :D

Good job Andrew. The LSM Roundup is going to be a blast !
50' DHC-2 MK1
79' C414A Chancellor
39' J3

AndrewK
100+ Posts

Post by AndrewK »

Russell461 wrote:

If there is any question about who came up with this idea.....this comment removes all doubt :D

Good job Andrew. The LSM Roundup is going to be a blast !
I just threw that out there, you guys are making it happen. Who knew there were a bit more than just "half a dozen" of us around down here?! Looking forward to it!