Maule "Homecoming" fly-in

Discuss or announce upcoming gatherings.
a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

Some updates,
I spoke with David Maule Mon. and he agreed to feed us before, during or after the factory tour. I asked for something simple like maybe hamburgers and potato chips. I told him that I think we would be interested in the factory of course, but most would be interested in the new things that are in the works like the Diesel and the M-9. He said that the M-9 would be there for sure, but the Diesel may not. They have some unusual things laying around. Ever seen a Rotax powered Maule? I have not secured Maule only parking at Thomasville yet, I have not recieved a return call. I think I will fly down there today and talk to them in person.
I still need feed back on whether or not people want to go into town on Sat. night for a sitdown dinner or not. Unless I get some feed back on that, I will assume there isn't much interest in it. I will say that the dinners were one of the highlights of the Valier fly-in.

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

One other thing. Some people may not be able to come because of aircraft availibility that may otherwise come. I'm thinking about lowflybe for example. Some of these people I'm sure would help pay for fuel for those that could give them a ride.
Anyone that may have an open seat and would be willing to give a ride, please post their route. I can get someone say in the southern half of GA, Northern half of Fla and into Alabama.

RobBurson
100+ Posts

Count me in.

Post by RobBurson »

Maule Bro's, I will be flying down commercial to Tallahassee. I would like to fly my M7, but being from Oregon the weather in October over the route is questionable at best. I don’t have the luxury of waiting out the weather. So I’ll do the next best thing, commercial.

I see it is 50 miles to Thomasville and 75 to Moultrie. I will rent a van and meet y’all wherever we are camping. If we need a van we’ll have one. If we are camping at Thomasville and flying up to Moultrie I’ll be looking for plane ride. I have gas money. Looking forward to the event. Regards..Rob
My M7

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

Hell,
Rob, I'll come get you. Tlh isn't far at all. Although a Van would be nice to have, I assume if we carried you around in our planes, you'd run us into town for refreshments. :lol:

RobBurson
100+ Posts

Post by RobBurson »

a64pilot wrote: Although a Van would be nice to have, I assume if we carried you around in our planes, you'd run us into town for refreshments. :lol:
Absolutely. Might give us a little more flexibility. This is going to be fun. Regards…Rob

montana maule
100+ Posts

Post by montana maule »

I have plans on flying down commercialy also. Probably stay in the area about a week. Any suggestions of other things to do or see?

Rick

benflyn
100+ Posts

Post by benflyn »

RobBurson,

The pic of your M7, where was that taken?

RobBurson
100+ Posts

Post by RobBurson »

benflyn, Sullivan Lake Washington. 09S Very nice place to visit. Cheers...Rob

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

montana maule wrote:I have plans on flying down commercialy also. Probably stay in the area about a week. Any suggestions of other things to do or see?

Rick
Rick,
There is a nice aviation Museum in Warner Robbins. There is supposed to be a really nice aquarium in Atlanta, with Beluga whales, whale sharks etc. If you like big city, Atlanta has you covered.
You could head a little south (two hour drive) to the panhandle of Fla. for some charter deep sea fishing. Or head towards Savannah for tours. Savannah, Hilton head and Charleston SC. are beautiful that time of year.
Or if you brought kids or just want to there is always Orlando, you know Disney etc.
There is really not much to do around Moultrie Ga., But there is a lot to do within 5 hours drive max.

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Update

Post by a64pilot »

We are getting closer, so I have a little more info for you. The folks at Thomasville will NOT have separate parking for us. I think it would be hard for them to do and they don't want to complicate things. One of the things we can do is to meet up in Albany, KABY, which is where the Thrush plant is and fly down there together. 15 min flight, max. I would want to leave at 5:00 PM to give plenty of time before dark to set up camp. Or plan on arriving on Friday at Thomasville at 5:15 PM. I have never been to the Thomasville fly-in, but apparently it's quite large.
I plan to have a 5th wheel down there in case of inclimate Wx or, maybe just a place to keep the Beer.
Sat. we get up and fly to David Wright's field for maintenance classes, again 15 min flt., From there off to the plant for the plant tour, food and the chance to aggravate the Maule folks, see what's new etc. 10 min flt, maybe. From there for the people that would want to, I would propose a flight to 2J0, Panacea Fl. Grass strip that has a barbeque and sports bar on the strip, or better Angelo's, which is a very good seafood place about 2 miles away. I feel pretty sure I could get us transportation there and back. That would be our sit down dinner. 35 min flt. each way.

210TC
100+ Posts

Post by 210TC »

Do they have Ahi tuna??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

David,
There are some Tuna in the Gulf, I think, but they would be so rare that I wouldn't count on yellow fin. I've never caught Tuna.Usually, I would tell people to go with what was caught that day locally, Grouper, Snapper, Mullet, Shrimp, Crab,Oysters, Speckled or White Trout maybe, Spanish Mackerel or King are more fun to catch than eat, but different strokes. This area is known for Mullet, Snapper, Grouper and especially crab, soft shell is a local favorite.
You got me hungry now.
Do you know what a low country boil is? It's a South Carolina thing, but it is excellent eating. I could probably be talked into a low country boil for us to eat on Friday night, without much coercing.

Orion

Great Georgia Airshow....Same weekend!

Post by Orion »

Hey, guys. I'm thrilled that we're having a homecoming. It will be great to meet a bunch of you. Is the plan still to meet at Albany? I'm guessing we'll publish a "notam" for arrival procedures? LOL.

The Great Georgia Airshow is happening the same weekend at KFFC, Peachtree City. They "encourage" us not to fly that weekend. I'm sure I can get in and out if I get the CAPers to wing walk me.

Orion

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

Orion,
Meeting in Albany is a back up plan, but easily executable if necessary. I spoke with Brent Maule Friday and he ensured me he could get us seperate parking. I think that is better because people could come whenever they wanted. As soon as I know for sure, I'll post. Anyone that wants to come is welcome to come to Albany. The Thrush plant is on the west side of the airfield, tower can direct you. I work there and the gate will be open. Just pull in the gate and park wherever you want. I'll give you a tour if you want. :D
Anybody coming from far away or people that just like to be in a day or so early, I'm sure that I could find them a place to stay and I have a couple extra vehicles that I could lend out.
Bottom line is, just come on down. This isn't the big city, but it isn't the back country either. I'll find a place for you to stay and transportation.
My cell # is (229) 854-0022.

senoiaslim

Post by senoiaslim »

Hey J. My M-5, is at Graham getting it's new avionics. If you have time stop over there and see what you think? Still whant to go looks for some HOGS!

me
Mark