Where to have the eastern fly-in

Discuss or announce upcoming gatherings.

Where?

Have it in Tennessee
30%
Have it in Moultrie
70%

Total votes: 10

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Where to have the eastern fly-in

Post by a64pilot »

Where to have it? Tennessee is centrally located and should be only one day's flight for most folks, while Moultrie is good only for the people down south. Moultrie has the plant though.
If you have a better idea as to where, bring it up, there may be a better location.

Lowflybye
100+ Posts

Post by Lowflybye »

My vote is for Moultrie only becouse I would like to see the plant and it would mean that I get to fly out somewhere...truth be told I am easy as far as where we have the event...count me in either location.
"To most people, the sky is the limit. To a pilot, the sky is home."

Still a bit cloudy when it comes to aviation insurance? Find some clarity: Clear on Top

beaver

Post by beaver »

I'd vote Moultrie

Kirk
100+ Posts

Post by Kirk »

I'd favor Moultrie since we might have a chance to get some tech talks and fight training events. Be nice to add some safety justification to the trip.

There are 2 other places I have had my eye on to visit that might fill the bill, if not this year, maybe in years to come. I haven't been to either one yet but both sound interesting.

McKinnon TN (M93) on a lake, with motel and restaurant named Southernaire Motel and Restaurant. Lists 7 rooms, 11 trailer hookups, no mention of tent camping. Maybe Lowfly can do a recon.

Also listed on Hundred Dollar Hamburger is High Valey Resort it is Private Use, PPR. I found the listing on AirNav that I think is the right one but lists as High Valley Airpark (GA87). I don't have any info on lodging etc but it is a nice grass strip 2000' long at I think 2000' elev.

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

I talked to Brent Maule yesterday. He said that they could give us a factory tour on a Saturday. Ray was with him and Ray said that he might be able to donate some time for flight instruction in your own aircraft. Brent even suggested the factory may like to become involved. I don't think either of us had any idea as to how at the time though. I told them to lean towards late Sept. or early October. My thought was fly-in on Friday. Tour the plant / flight instruction, possibly some pilot oriented maintenance classes and insurance related instruction / classes, cookout etc. would fill up Saturday. Leaving Sunday for the Museum in Warner Robbins.
I'll need a couple of things from you guy's. First if there are any objections in me organizing this, please speak up, I won't be offended. Secondly some input on type and scope of the maintenance classes and thirdly help from Lowflybe for insurance classes
I'm assuming that we will have the first fly-in at Moultrie. I'm hoping this will become a yearly event.

Orion

Thanks, A64!

Post by Orion »

Hey, Thanks for the offer to organize! I'm happy to support you. This sounds like a great way to spend a later Summer/Early Fall weekend!

"O"

Lowflybye
100+ Posts

Post by Lowflybye »

a64pilot wrote: I'll need a couple of things from you guy's. First if there are any objections in me organizing this, please speak up, I won't be offended. Secondly some input on type and scope of the maintenance classes and thirdly help from Lowflybe for insurance classes
I'm assuming that we will have the first fly-in at Moultrie. I'm hoping this will become a yearly event.
No objections from me if you head up the event. As far as insurance help...I have some underwriters in town from USAIG this week and have already run the idea by them. Of course they think it is a great idea and agree that it will help improve the overall safety record of the Maule aircraft, but we are haggling over a clear cut discount for attendees. This will not be an easy thing to get them to commit to until we have a track record of events like this and a noticable change in the loss ratio for those who attend. It will take a little time to turn the Titanic around as it concerns the underwriter opinions of Maule aircraft, but we have to start somewhere, and this is a great way to start.

I will be glad to host a discussion on insurance as it pertains to Maule's and tailwheel aircraft in general.

On a side note...I was reminded just last night that our annual exprires October 1st so if we do this during the first part of October I may need to hitch a ride with a fellow Maule owner. There are a half dozen or so in the local area so I should be able to find a ride if it becomes necessary.
"To most people, the sky is the limit. To a pilot, the sky is home."

Still a bit cloudy when it comes to aviation insurance? Find some clarity: Clear on Top

Kirk
100+ Posts

Post by Kirk »

Maintenance I'd like to see: tailwheel tuning, tailpipe clamp tightening, seat removal installation (front), elevator gap seal installation.

I really like the idea of having any good Maule instructors available for a brief how goes it ride, knock off the rough edges.

Insurance seminar etc would be great. I think LowFly is right, we'll need to see a track record before much discount can happen, but at least I could show a recurrent check with a Maule qualified instructor.

The American Bonanza Society does a great thing at their events. For a fee, you can sign up to have your airplane inspected for common problems by a couple well qualified A&Ps.

Doing that gives others a great chance to shoulder surf as they work their way down the flight line.

My airplane is down at David Wright's right now for annual and I was amazed how much he could tell me about the airplane in the first 5 minutes of walking around it. He spotted things the last 3 IAs have missed.

I'm a 50/50 shot on making it. I work about half the weekends of any month.

Kirk

DonMc

Southern Flyin

Post by DonMc »

I think it is great for someone to head up a Maule Flyin. Moultrie works for me.

Don
260BD