Alaska Fly-in's (new thread)

Discuss or announce upcoming gatherings.
aero101
100+ Posts

Alaska Fly-in's (new thread)

Post by aero101 »

I got a flyer in the transponder, Talkeetna fly-in (Hudson Memorial Fly-in) on May 19 and 20th. Poker run Sat morning, Display booths, Dinner Sat night, Pancakes Sun morning, Acft Landing and Take off Demo's on Sun morning, and a fly-over Sun afternoon... Overnight airport camping, free display booths, etc, etc, etc... Weekend after Valdez. More info contact- Drew Haag @ 907-355-4808 or www.abovealaska.com/flyin.htm :lol:

On the same note, wondering how much interest in a Minchumina Lake Maule get together would be in August of this year? Both a runway and lake are available for land and seaplanes. I've talked to the people with lodge there and camping would be ok, and they'd love to have us. Thinking it might be nice to roast a piglet and do a pot luck on balance of food, BYOB? Could probably finagle a boat or canoe for those that wanted for fish... Picked August as the bugs would be a lot easier to deal with that time of year, though depending upon fires, smoke / visability could be an issue, although most of area has been burned in last couple of years.
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

I'm in for August. Maybe set a primary date and an alternate for weather/smoke issues? What is the lodge like and how far from the airstrip?
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

There's a lodge right near the airstrip, about 3/4 mi off northend of runway. Also another lodge that's across lake, but they only cater to winter clientele, dogmushers, etc. Camping in available along the old runway or there's another smaller area at pullover at north end of current runway. I've talked to the Green's and there's a cabin not far from rwy that will sleep 4 or 5, and they have about 3 rooms at their B&B. They can supply good fresh water, as well as make arrangements for some boats / canoes. They said they can transport people who want rooms, cabin, etc no problem. They live out there year round and have a pretty nice setup. If we get enough interest I will probably fly out there in June and look at things a little closer, and finalize any arrangements we need to do with the Green's. This website actually belongs to the winter operation there, but this page dedicated to the Green's operation in the summer.
http://www.denaliwest.com/summer.html

Google Earth - South end of rwy on spit 63D52'58.23"N 152D18'43.84"W
Old closed rwy runs east along beach to the east from this point

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

chetharris
100+ Posts

Lake Minchumina Fly-in

Post by chetharris »

I would like to make the Maule summer fly-in. I would also like to make the Minchumina rock skipping event. Why not have both events at once. I do not imagine the rock skippers would mind the company. Hell I bet a few of the Maule pilots can skip a pretty mean rock. There might be an advantage to coinciding events --more and better food, cheaper fuel, more planes to look at. Just an idea.

Chet

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

Hello Chet-
That's a thought too, the rock skipping contest is in July, I'll see if they've got a date figured yet for this year. They actually get a pretty good crowd for that event with pretty good mix of types of acft...
Jim

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

I flew out that way today. I will definitely need fuel for a round trip.
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

Even if you fill up in TKA on the way out? Talkeetna about 120 miles, Manley Hot Springs is about 90 miles, McGrath is about 120 miles?
Jim

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

That was my plan. Fill up at Talkeetna coming and going. Flying from Anchorage direct is just cutting my margins too close. Flying to Purkeypile and back from Anchorage left me with 12 gallons onboard at touchdown.

mauleCFI

Post by mauleCFI »

I would love to attend if you guys decide on the July rock skipping contest. Unfortunately I will be in TX most of Aug.
On another note, I haven't heard anyone mention a group trip to Valdez this year. I'm in Soldotna and was thinking maybe hitting Montague or something along the way. Any thoughts?

BatMaule
100+ Posts

Post by BatMaule »

I'm all about combining the fly-in with the rock skipping championchips. (We can get drunk and bet pink slips.) I've wanted to make the Minchumina event for the last several years and couldn't. Looks good for this year though. Last Saturday in July at Minchumina has my vote.
Paul
1983 M6-235
The "BatMaule"

UP-M5
100+ Posts

Post by UP-M5 »

mauleCFI wrote: On another note, I haven't heard anyone mention a group trip to Valdez this year. I'm in Soldotna and was thinking maybe hitting Montague or something along the way. Any thoughts?

we were talking about this yesterday at the trade show.
i am headed for valdez on friday evening. getting out of work at 4pm (in talkeetna) so i could meet up with others in the valley around 5-ish???? might be able to push that an hour earier???
M5-235

mauleCFI

Post by mauleCFI »

I dont think we can go Friday night. We will probably be going early Saturday morning for the day. If any one else is going Saturday let me know.

UP-M5
100+ Posts

Post by UP-M5 »

according to the weather forecasts we might have to do the stol competition on skis???
M5-235

YELLOWMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by YELLOWMAULE »

Check out the weather cams, fresh snow this morning.... :cry:
Live it like its your last day.

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

Predicting rain all week with higher chance toward the weekend. Not that I'd beleive them if they told me it was sunny yesterday... :roll: