Alaska Fly-in's (new thread)

Discuss or announce upcoming gatherings.
YELLOWMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by YELLOWMAULE »

Can you imagine having an 80% error rate and still be able to maintain your livelyhood?
Wait 15 minutes, you'll get something new and different. :?
Live it like its your last day.

UP-M5
100+ Posts

Post by UP-M5 »

did anyone make it out to the get together on the knik last night? i heard the winds picked up and it got cancelled?

so here is the latest from valdez.... weather is horrible, and as of right now (11:00am thursday) there is no avgas available on the field. i have some friends in valdez checking into this issue for me. this info was posted on the valdez chamber website:
http://www.valdezalaska.org/events/vald ... d-air-show
and being updated real time on supercub.org in a couple of different posts.
i could tanker enough gas with me, but then fly the stol competition with 200lbs of excess weight onboard? and with the possibility of having to turn around in crummy weather, i want lots of "fog gas" onboard.

how many maule drivers are (were?) planning on going? i had to fight for the weekend off, so i am going somewhere. any plan-B if valdez is IFR? i see some of the supercub guys are having a susitna river camp out...

just ranting, stuck at work watching weather cams turn from bad to worse :(
M5-235

UP-M5
100+ Posts

Post by UP-M5 »

here is a thought....

the hudson memorial fly in is in talkeetna the weekend after valdez. they won't let us have a real stol contest........ but we could sneak off to a gravel bar and have our own :D

but of course i have to work that weekend :evil:
M5-235

YELLOWMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by YELLOWMAULE »

Well, I agree on the weather bad to worse, snow on Saturday, just upgraded to 100% precip. Looks like the temp dew pt spread doesn't anymore and they're mated for a while. Gotta watch scudding down there, their Geese go IFR, not good for the Peril.
The Stupercub guys are heading to Bell Island or just North of that. Young Squire and I were thinking of heading west or north for a Spring Blackie. I wouldn't object to stopping in and maybe even spend the night. Gotta doing something before the kitchen pass expires.
Oh, the Hudson idea, it's light until 11, I'd be willing to take your money. :wink:
Live it like its your last day.

benflyn
100+ Posts

Post by benflyn »

YELLOWMAULE wrote:Can you imagine having an 80% error rate and still be able to maintain your livelyhood?
Wait 15 minutes, you'll get something new and different. :?

The elected ones and weathermen are the only jobs that I know of that you can lie to everybody everday and not get fired!

Christine
Site Admin

Post by Christine »

I can't believe it. Now I get the time off and make my way up to Alaksa to come to Valdez for the short field landing competition and the wx is crappy!! Leaving tomorrow and going to WA to beautiful sunshine and 75 degree - unless the wx changes. Should be back on May 25th.

Maybe some adhoc Maule gathering after may 25th - anybody???
Christine
06WN '88 MX7-180 MaulePilots.org Founder
ck "at" maulepilots "dot" org

mauleCFI

Post by mauleCFI »

Christine,
So sorry your trip did not work out. I was very pleased to meet you and Jeremy in Soldotna. Hopefully we can put something together after the 25th.

Jeff

UP-M5
100+ Posts

Post by UP-M5 »

valdez was a weather nightmare this year. i heard only 4 planes were in the stol competition :shock:

oh well, better safe and disappointed than swimming around in prince william sound :!:

don't forget the hudson memorial fly in in patk this coming weekend. we can get out and explore some local gravel bars and mining strips if there is any interest???
M5-235

BatMaule
100+ Posts

Post by BatMaule »

So.....just a few weeks out from the big Lake Minchumina rock skipping championships. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rock-Skip ... 10?sk=info. Seems to be a go on Saturday, July 28th. We are planning to attend - weather permitting - and will be camping. Hope some other AK Maule drivers are going as well! There is already some smack being spoken and a bit of unsettled business between at least two rock skipping pilots I know! Should be fun.

Paul
1983 M6-235
The "BatMaule"

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

Not going to be able to make it. I'll be in Seawrd that weekend for some continuing education.
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

I'm going to try to come. I'm only 20 minutes away (Kantishna) but am scheduled to work that day. I'll try to swap with someone. Even if I can't, I have sunday off, so could come out after work or in the morning to say hello.

Andy

BatMaule
100+ Posts

Post by BatMaule »

Cool Andy. Hope you can make it. Believe it or not, an M5 and an M6 dropped in to Kantishna a few weeks back looking for you! You were flying so we took a stroll and ate lunch waiting. Thought maybe we'd catch you but no luck! Kantishna was the next stop and we practiced up with the local rocks so watch out!

crbnunit...go on an "educate" those silvers and halibut! Catch you on another one.
1983 M6-235
The "BatMaule"

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

Yeah, I actually saw your planes when I landed, and checked them out, but couldn't find you guys. I went up to the lodge for lunch, and you must have left before I got back down to the strip. My personal plane (M-6) was still out at the east end at that time (PAIN). Hope to catch up with you in Minchumina.

Andy

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

Unfortunately there will be no fish educated this trip. It is an Oncology conference. I'll make the next one! Take lots of photos and post up!
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

So now that we are just a few days away from the Minchumina event, who is still planning to come?

When are you planning to be there?

I just learned that I can take the day, so I plan to be there (in my very non-Alaska-esque M-6) if others are.

Andy