Southeast Maule Gathering?

Discuss or announce upcoming gatherings.

Are you interested in a Southeast Gathering of Maules

Yes
79%
No
14%
Maybe
7%

Total votes: 14

Aerobatix

Count Me IN!

Post by Aerobatix »

This sounds like a great idea!!! I am in SW Florida and would come regardless of location and facilities. I really like the idea of doing it in Moultrie near the factory since I've never ebeen there a factory tour would be really neat.

Keep up the momentum and let all of us know if there's something specific we can do to help make this happen.

Thanks!

Rob
La Belle, FL
MX-7-160

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

I think it pretty much comes down to where and when. I haven't wanted to monopolize this thread because I didn't start it, but I don't want it to die either.
I would think we need to start a poll or vote somehow on where and when. Any objections?
Where ever it is let's try not to have it too close to either the "national" fly-in, BCP, or Oshkosh
We have Tennessee, Moultrie and are there any other ideas?

Aerobatix

My Vote - FWIW

Post by Aerobatix »

My vote is for Moultrie. I like the option of touring the factory and trying to have some of their resident "experts" host some informal sessions on a variety of topics such as maintenance and flying techniques. I would also try to book some time with Ray Maule in an effort to learn as much as I can on how to "really" fly my plane.

I'll try to make it wherever, but you asked so that's my vote :-)

Thanks,

Rob

Green Hornet
100+ Posts

Post by Green Hornet »

I too would like to keep the thread going. My vote is for Moultrie, GA. I think as an annual meeting to flock to the Manufacturing Home would benefit us all as pilots and owners. It certainly is a good marketing vehicle for Maule. As for time frame I'll leave that to the more experienced among you who have managed an event of this type. Obviously conflicts, weather, and proximity all play a role. Like I said previously I can't make any committments until I relocate but if the timing is right I am there if not this year definitely next year.
1997-M7-235C, 540 I/O

WOC SPOT

Orion

Radio Silence....Sorry! ;-)

Post by Orion »

Hey, Y'all--Sorry to put out the idea then go silent. Poor priorities on my part; I let work get in the way!!!

I'm among the most dis-organized folks in the world, but happy to follow someone else's project leadership. I'm just South of Atlanta and know the factory folks a bit. If someone will step-up and manage the organization and planning, I'm happy to set-up Aircraft Spruce visit and event. Also, Happy to look for a grass strip between here and Moultrie that would host us. I used to be based at Warner Robins Airpark. They had gas and 2,500x75 lighted grass. Just a thought.

Seems like we have more than a passing interest. Anybody up for actually project managing this?

Best,

"O"

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

Orion,
If it ends up being in Moultrie, then I can help. I had planned on conning David Wright into this as well, he just doesn't know it yet. He lives on a grass strip in Moultrie, but other than his house/hanger there isn't anything else there. A grass strip near a town possibly with a courtesy car and shower would be ideal. I'm sure we could come up with a couple of vehicles if we stayed at Davids but I'm unsure of any shower facilities. I hate to ask if we could use his house. We may be able to shower at the FBO at KMGR which is about five miles away and is where you will probably buy gas as they are usually the cheapest around. If there is any thought on camping then that put's it into late Sept. or early Oct. if it's in Moultrie. I spent 20 years in the Army "camping". If I'm going camping then it's not going to be when it's "Africa" hot like it is in July or August.
I think I can shame Brent Maule into a Sat. factory tour. Fri. or Mon. would be better of course because on Sat you would be touring a closed plant, but I don't think most people would be there except for the weekend?
For those that don't want to camp, I would recommend KMGR, it's in Moultrie and the owner of the FBO is extremely nice, read the comments about them in Air Nav. You could get a rental car there and stay in a motel in town. I think I would camp myself with my kids if weather permits
I'm sure the museum at Warner Robbins is open on the weekend. It's a large Museum with a lot of military "Airforce" aircraft. It would easily be a three hour tour. There is a Museum at your home base isn't there? I haven't seen the Museum there and of course there's Aircraft Spruce.
If your really bored then we could tour the Thrush plant in Albany where we make crop dusters, but I think there would be plenty to do without that.
I feel pretty sure we could get David Wright to have some maintenance workshops, possibly get Ray to do some flight instruction, but if I know Ray we won't get him out there for free. (maybe I shouldn't have said that)
Lowflybe had mentioned about getting insurance credit for classes, we should investigate that, I know nothing about that kind of thing, but anything I could do to help insurance is sure worth investigating.