Southeast Maule Gathering?

Discuss or announce upcoming gatherings.

Are you interested in a Southeast Gathering of Maules

Yes
79%
No
14%
Maybe
7%

Total votes: 14

Orion

Southeast Maule Gathering?

Post by Orion »

Hey, Y'all,

I'm in Peachtree City, GA (~210'/17nm from ATL). I'd like to see if anyone's interested in a Southeast Gathering of Maules in KY, TN, NC, SC, AL, etc... We could do a ceremonial fly-by of Moultrie and the factory. Just thinking out loud, but would be happy to help organize if anyone's interested.

--Jud

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

I'm very interested. I'm sure the Maule folks would love to have us. If that's too far to the South for other folks then I'm flexible. There are a few of us in the Southeast, but apparently we don't gather well. I haven't been able to get any one to meet at Sun-N-Fun.

Lowflybye
100+ Posts

Post by Lowflybye »

I'm in...and there are 3 others at my airport that would probably be up for it as well.

I usually head down to Moontown (3M5) for the EAA breakfast every 3rd Saturday. We had 65 transient aircraft fly in last weekend and it was a beautiful day. I am usually the only Maule there, but it would be good to see a few others there as well.
"To most people, the sky is the limit. To a pilot, the sky is home."

Still a bit cloudy when it comes to aviation insurance? Find some clarity: Clear on Top

Ernie

Post by Ernie »

I'm certainly interested. Seems like all he Maule activity is in the NW, but there must be some of us around here in the SE. I have an MX-7 based at KOPN.

senoiaslim

Post by senoiaslim »

I would love to show my new famliy member. I take delivery Mid June!
Mark

Skystrider
100+ Posts

Post by Skystrider »

I would be interested. I am in NE PA and am always open to flying anywhere in the east.
1980 Maule M5-180C
Rod Hatcher

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

Whenever and wherever, I'm in. If you would like near or in Moultrie, I can help. I'm only 40 miles away and have a few friends there. What would the group want? A one day meet or a weekend camping kind of thing on a grass strip?

DonMc

Post by DonMc »

Count me in for the South East Flyin. There are a few Maules near my home in Delaware that I am sure would be interested!

Don

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

Wow,
That's maybe as many as ten so far.
Senoiaslim, You started it, got any ideas yet as to where or when?
EDIT:
My apology Orion, it was you and not senoiaslim that started this.
Last edited by a64pilot on Tue May 29, 2007 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lowflybye
100+ Posts

Post by Lowflybye »

I have been thinking about this fly-in a bit...why not make it productive as well as fun. If we could get some "factory" reps to come and give an hour or 2 talk about maintenance as well as have some high time Maule instructors that are willing to give "gratis" flight reviews...

This is the insurance agent coming out in me, but these sort of things (when done correctly) can benefit us in the insurance market. The Maule owners need all the help that we can get. If we could incorporate some recurrent training in with a fun event...these sort of things become a known safety event after a while and benefit insurance rates over time.

-Chris

Still a bit cloudy when it comes to aviation insurance? Find some clarity: Clear on Top

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

Lowflybye,
I've been thinking along the same line. I don't know about "factory" reps, we would probably have to call Brent Maule on that one. I've got a tailwheel that's not installed that we could take apart and show the proper shimming technique. I can also dynamically balance props as I have a prop balancer if anyone was interested. I would not charge anything of course.
This would kind of make the fly-in be in or near Moultrie though, while I would think your location, Tennessee or somewhere like it would be more geographically centered.
I know someone that rebuilds Maules exclusively that has a grass strip in Moultrie we might could stay at, and that may be a good place for "workshops". It's not a ten minute flight from the factory. I have not asked him though, but he is an agreeable type of person.
I would bet that "factory" representation from David, Brent and Ray Maule wouldn't be hard to at all to get for a Maule group. They all strike me as decent, down home, plain people to me that would be willing to talk about most anything Maule, just don't expect business suits and power point presentations though. :lol:
The person that owns the FBO in Moultrie (KMGR) not (KMUL) is Alan, who along with his wife Diana are the most friendly people you will ever meet, they would bend over backward to help, rental cars, motel reservations etc. Look up the comments on them on Airnav.
The grass strip would enable camping, cookouts, maybe a low country boil, but it would be hot. Africa hot to most people, complete with bugs, so maybe motel reservations may be in order.
For something to do, there is Aircraft Spruce in Orion's back yard and I believe a good WWII fighter museum. There is an excellent air museum at Warner Robbins Air Force base that would take a few hours to see everything.

mikemike

Moultrie

Post by mikemike »

I would come to Moultrie, or anywhere near Moultrie. Sure would be nice if this works out. - Mike

Lowflybye
100+ Posts

Post by Lowflybye »

I would vote for the grass strip with camping options provided we have some shower / toilet facilities, but am up for anything. I would be happy to hold an open forum on insurance as it concerns Maule's and tailwheels as well. A factory tour would not be a bad idea and I am always up for aviation museaums. It would benefit us greatly if we had some Maule qualified instructors that would provide flight reviews as well.

I could probably work a grass strip with shower facilities and such around here that we could use if Nashville is a more centralized location. The airport where we keep our aircraft has a grass and paved strip and is within walking distance of both Chili's and Outback Steakhouse. I do not know if they will allow camping, but I could find out. We do not have the factory nearby or the museaums though so entertainment would be quite different.

If we can get a semi-formal schedule of events / speakers put togather for this thing I will run it by the underwriting companies and try to get credit approvals for renewal insurance rates.

Skystrider
100+ Posts

Post by Skystrider »

Actually, the Nashville area would work well for me. That would be around a 6 hour flight from NE PA and less I think from other points further down in the south east. That would keep everybody within a decent day's range without pushing it.

Of course, I guess PA is technically not in the SE! :lol:

Just assuming you guys wouldn't mind me showing up!
1980 Maule M5-180C
Rod Hatcher

Green Hornet
100+ Posts

Post by Green Hornet »

I am in the begiinings of a relocation this summer but if Moultrie, GA is next year you can count me in for sure.
1997-M7-235C, 540 I/O

WOC SPOT