OCT 12th Alaska fly in/campout No 2

Discuss or announce upcoming gatherings.
N949JH

October fly in

Post by N949JH »

If on the 11th I'll be down at work and will miss it. Anyone consider the strip at the end of Eklutna lake?

mauleCFI

Post by mauleCFI »

I did not make it due to fuel pump issues but I am hoping to make an Oct campout if you guys decide on one.

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

The Bold strip on Lk Eklutna is a nice place. Not as much room but very pretty. We could still land quite a few aircraft but there are no float planes allowed on the lake, so it would be wheels only. We were there yesterday. The water is WAY up and right at the end of the strip! I've never seen it that high. It was about 40' down the last time I was up there!

Here are some pics of the Bold strip over the 4th of July weekend.
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

8714yy

Post by 8714yy »

I missed out, my daughter ended up in the hospital and I needed to stay close by. She's ok now but not much fun. I would be up for another chance. One that is a great place but a little further out is Rohn (Tatitna) on the other side of rainey pass. Great cabin long strip and lots of grouse. Bold is good too if folks want to keep it close.
David Allen

Christine
Site Admin

Post by Christine »

8714yy wrote:I missed out, my daughter ended up in the hospital and I needed to stay close by. She's ok now but not much fun. I would be up for another chance. One that is a great place but a little further out is Rohn (Tatitna) on the other side of rainey pass. Great cabin long strip and lots of grouse. Bold is good too if folks want to keep it close.
Is this just for wheels or water for float landing too? Though it may not work out for me since I havent heard back from my "ride" 
Christine
06WN '88 MX7-180 MaulePilots.org Founder
ck "at" maulepilots "dot" org

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

If we stick with Beluga it is wheels or floats. If you do Bold or Tatitna, it would be wheels only.
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

Christine
Site Admin

Adhoc Alaska Maule flyers campout oct 12th?

Post by Christine »

@N949JH - Looking at my final schedule - for me the 12th would work better as well because I may get tied up at work in Hawaii another day (but hoping not to)

Looks like all comes together after all.
Regarding location:
Joe (who has the Maule in ANC) has to decide whether he wants to put it onto wheels before this trip, so if we pick a date (12th) now and manifest the location after he decided and posts....

I am excited. Hope the wx works out and plenty of you plan to participate
Christine
Christine

N949JH

Alaska OCT 12 - mini flyin

Post by N949JH »

I'm afraid my work schedule takes me down to the lower 48 from the 11th till near the end of the month so I will miss whatever you all put together. I will have to be satisfied with living vicariously through the pictures and posts here.
Thanks for putting the one together out at Beluga too. I'd forgotten how much fun it is to fly somewhere just to fly somewhere and it was great to put faces to names.
Mike

AndrewK
100+ Posts

Re: October fly in

Post by AndrewK »

N949JH wrote:I will have to be satisfied with living vicariously through the pictures and posts here.
Agreed. You guys have some beautiful backcountry up there.

Christine
Site Admin

Re: Alaska OCT 12 - mini flyin

Post by Christine »

N949JH wrote:I'm afraid my work schedule takes me down to the lower 48 from the 11th till near the end of the month so I will miss whatever you all put together. Mike
Thats too bad, Mike, maybe next year for you? I tentatively plan to fly up my own Maule to Alaska next year to explore some more of your beautiful part of the country.

But for now and this year: OCT 12th, waiting for Joe to announce whether his Maule will be on wheels or floats for a suitable selection of the location.
Crbnunit, yellowMaule, 8714yy, maulecfi,Joe48, I .... Who else is in?

Christine
Christine

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

Sorry guys. I just realized (I'm a little slow) that 10/12 is a Wed. I'll be tied up at work. I might be able to make an appearance in the evening but I won't be able to do the camp out thing. I can, was planning to and might still to do the 8th and 9th but the 12th is out for me unless it is a hit and run in the evening. :cry:

Christine
Site Admin

Post by Christine »

crbnunit wrote:Sorry guys. I just realized (I'm a little slow) that 10/12 is a Wed. I'll be tied up at work. I might be able to make an appearance in the evening but I won't be able to do the camp out thing. I can, was planning to and might still to do the 8th and 9th but the 12th is out for me unless it is a hit and run in the evening. :cry:
Bummer. I still have to be working (in Hawaii) on the 8th, travelling to Seattle on the 9th, so I definitely can't go on the weekend, so I would be out on the 8/9. Could you fly in early evening and take a morning off work?
Christine

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

I could fly in early evening for a short stay but I couldn't miss work. I am down a couple of employees at the moment. No coverage!

Christine
Site Admin

Post by Christine »

crbnunit wrote:I could fly in early evening for a short stay but I couldn't miss work. I am down a couple of employees at the moment. No coverage!
I could attempt to trade two days of work for free time from the end of the month, but that would get us only to the 10th....
Maybe two fly gatherings? One on the weekend (without me :( and one while I am there close by ANC with me :D ??? Have to take the last flying wx days as they come, right?
Christine

Joe48

Post by Joe48 »

Hi there, I am the Maule driver who would like to join the flyin with Christine. I plan to be in Alaska from the 5th. Is there anybody who can recommend a mechanic, who is used to convert a Maule from floats to wheels? My home is at Whisper Lake close to Soldotna and the plane is normaly parked at Lake Hood.

Joe