OCT 12th Alaska fly in/campout No 2

Discuss or announce upcoming gatherings.
crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

So, was anyone able to hook up?
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

Mauleguywanab

Post by Mauleguywanab »

crbnunit wrote:So, was anyone able to hook up?
Yes, YellowMaule, Cumuli, AKloon a cub buddy and I met up at Knik and visited for a while. I got a couple pics but can't figure out how to upload them. Amazing time up the valley with no wind. I love that place when the wind is somewhere else. Towards the evening, half went around the corner to lake George to play and I headed west with my cub buddy being that he needed 45 minutes to get home and dark was coming;-) Fun meeting new Maule drivers and I wish there was some summer left to keep it up. As Yellowmaule pointed out when we met, I may need to update my ID ;-) Mauleguywanabnomore gets a little wordy;-)

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

Sounds like a good time!

So, should we plan something more formal for next year sometime? A plan with a few alternate dates/locations? More than one? Maybe with enough advance notice we could get a big group together???
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

I'd be game for something next summer or spring. Anything midpoint between ANC and FAI with water for floats and a runway? I'll have to take a look at sectional, maybe something around Chulitna / Cantwell? Maybe some fishing / camping / storytelling over a weekend? Up here we're probably 50/50 floats/wheels, maybe a couple more floatplanes then wheelplanes in the warmer part of year.
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

I'm game but I can't think of a single place that would fit the bill. Wheels? Yes. Floats? Yes. Wheels AND floats? Not so much. The Denali strip would be cool but they might frown on a bunch of us flying in and I don't think you can camp there. The Stampede strip might be a cool back country location but there is nowhere for floats. Beluga is good for both but it is nowhere near central for you guys in Fairbanks. I kind of though about McCarthy and St. Elias NP. We could hit something like May Creek, a nice back country strip with a cabin in beautiful country but again, not exactly central for either of us.

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Paxson. How far from lake to strip?
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

Looks to be abotu 6 miles or so from Paxon Lake.

I was thinking Lake Louise, Z55, but it appears that it is "closed indefinitely".

YELLOWMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by YELLOWMAULE »

Even the dogs got their time.
Dave and his bird. Litterally and figuratively
Joe's "new on wheels" Maule
At first, it seemed it would be the Peril with Joe & Christine.
A first rate landing for a float guy! 8)
Despite the looks on all the faces, it was not an Ah S**t moment, just our token Cub friend.
And a perfect evening to be out playing at the foot of the glaciers.
Photos courtesy of Christine. :wink:
Live it like its your last day.

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

Looks like a good time!

Has anyone been out to the strip at Lake Minchumina? It is about 130 miles west of Healy and would fit the bill for wheels/floats and is about 1/2 way between Fairbanks and Anchorage. I don't know anything about it other than that.

Barnstormer

Post by Barnstormer »

It's been quite a few years since I flew into Lake Minchumina, but what I can tell you is it's well maintained by the BLM, has room for camping and adjacet to the lake, therefore easy access for floats as well. Unfortunately, I'm no longer in Alaska, else I'd join you on the next trip! I'll live it through all your stories and pictures!

Mauleguywanab

Post by Mauleguywanab »

That sounds like a great spot!!! Maybe a few of us can fly out there and check it out this spring to make sure it fits. Wonder if there is any fishing to do there? Looks like a big strip so my cub buddy could probably tag along again;-) HA HA HA.

Barnstormer

Post by Barnstormer »

Actually the fishing is great... if you like Northern Pike. Too many "Y" bones to fuss with for me.

Mauleguywanab

Post by Mauleguywanab »

I do like pike and even better, they are usually easy to catch so the boys have a blast. This sounds like a perfect spot to spend a day or two. I'm sure there is some local off airport fun we could have if anyone is inclined to go play. I vote yes on this one!!

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

That would be a good spot, good fishing, camping, nice strip, and the Green's now run a lodge as well. Not sure of rates, but will contact him for more info. Probably a little more then halfway for the ANC people, but suspect we could get pretty good crowd out of FAI area? Probably be good to do late spring / early summer in case of fires / smoke / viz issues, but lots of that area has burned in past few years so probably not much of an issue anyway?
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

Where is the nearest fuel?