OCT 12th Alaska fly in/campout No 2

Discuss or announce upcoming gatherings.
aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

Christine-

You could always head up to Fairbanks then to Chena Hot Springs or Manley Hot Springs for an overnight soak. Would add a couple hours of flying time, but lots of great scenery thru the pass, if WX cooperates. I'd have to do some checking around town, but might be able to put a couple of other Maule drivers together for a Hot Springs dip. We're just converting to wheels on mine, as already starting to see some ice on some of the remote shallow lakes...
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

Groan... I could use a good soak about now... Too bad there aren't any hot springs around Mt. Spurr!
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

Christine
Site Admin

Post by Christine »

aero101 wrote:Christine-

You could always head up to Fairbanks then to Chena Hot Springs or Manley Hot Springs for an overnight soak. Would add a couple hours of flying time, but lots of great scenery thru the pass, if WX cooperates. I'd have to do some checking around town, but might be able to put a couple of other Maule drivers together for a Hot Springs dip. We're just converting to wheels on mine, as already starting to see some ice on some of the remote shallow lakes...
That Sounds wonderful me as long as it's clear, I don't get stuck (have to get back to work). We should see what the other guys say, especially my ride.....
Christine
06WN '88 MX7-180 MaulePilots.org Founder
ck "at" maulepilots "dot" org

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

Yes, I understand the need to get out when ready. Would kind of depend on the WX trend in the near term as the pass can often be problimatic in a couple of places or could be snowing up there this time of year.... It's been a beautiful Oct so far, but there is snow in the forecast starting this weekend...
Jim

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

Christine
Site Admin

Post by Christine »

Jim, - maybe you and some other guys can come down south instead?
I think my time frame is too tight and too risky to get stuck and not being able to get back to work to Honolulu in time.
Christine

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

That's a possibility if I can get my 100hr done and WX cooperates? Actually, I have a friend needs to go to Willow to look at an airplane for purchase, maybe I can kill 2 birds with 1 stone? Has anyone decided on where they're flying into for sure, and coordinates available?
Jim

Christine
Site Admin

Post by Christine »

aero101 wrote:That's a possibility if I can get my 100hr done and WX cooperates? Actually, I have a friend needs to go to Willow to look at an airplane for purchase, maybe I can kill 2 birds with 1 stone? Has anyone decided on where they're flying into for sure, and coordinates available?
It's coming together. Joe has scheduled to put his Maule onto wheels on Monday. Mini-Flyin some where on Wednesday. Anywhere beautiful!?

What's with the you other guys? Eklutna does look nice (or does one need AK bushwheel tires for that one?) http://www.airnav.com/airport/A13
Christine

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

Eklutna is nice. They say it is 1200'. Honestly, I think it is closer to 1000' but I watched the DOT guy measure it with a wheel. That is measured to extremes though and if you use 1200', you are going to be inches from a log... It is gravel/grass. The gravel portion is a little dished out and can seem kind of squirley as your wheels try to climbs out.

MaulePilots.org editors remark:
Sorry, I have accidentally truncated this message while in Administrator mode and attempting to select a quote for my response. It had coordinates and more information about the airstrip. Below an attempt to reconstruct

Airport ID BOLD A13 Sectional chart: ANCHORAGE
FAA Identifier: A13
Lat/Long: 61-20-28.8200N / 148-59-55.9700W
61-20.480333N / 148-59.932833W
61.3413389 / -148.9988806
(estimated)
Elevation: 900 ft. / 274 m (estimated)
Variation: 25E (1985)
From city: 16 miles N of ANCHORAGE, AK
Control tower: no
ARTCC: ANCHORAGE CENTER
FSS: KENAI FLIGHT SERVICE STATION [800-478-3576]
NOTAMs facility: ANC (NOTAM-D service available)
Attendance: UNATNDD
Wind indicator: yes, TREES GROWING UP AROUND WINDSOCK.
Segmented circle: no

Airport Communications
CTAF: 122.9
WX AWOS-3 at BCV (15 nm W): 135.55
WX ASOS at PAQ (15 nm N): 134.75 (907-746-6675)
WX AWOS-3 at FRN (19 nm W): 118.525 (907-384-0132)

Nearby radio navigation aids

VOR radial/distance VOR name Freq Var
BGQr091/31.0 BIG LAKE VORTAC 112.50 25E
ANCr047/36.7 ANCHORAGE VOR/DME 114.30 25E

NDB name Hdg/Dist Freq Var ID
CAMPBELL LAKE 050/31.9 338 21E CMQ -.-. -- --.-
BRUCK 052/35.6 387 21E BOB -... --- -...
Airport Services

Parking: tiedowns
Runway Information
Runway 14/32
Dimensions: 1000 x 15 ft. / 305 x 5 m
Surface: gravel, in poor condition
RY 14/32 RUTTED AND UNEVEN. TREES ENCROACHING ON BOTH SIDES OF RY.
RY 14/32 SLOPES DOWN TOWARD LAKE. RY 14 GENTLE HUMP APPROACH END.

Traffic pattern: left/left
Obstructions: none 18 ft. trees, 138 ft. from runway, 37 ft. right of centerline, 7:1 slope to clear
Airport Ownership and Management from official FAA records

Ownership: Publicly-owned
Owner: STATE OF ALASKA, DNR
HC 52 BOX 8999
INDIAN, AK 99540
Phone 907-688-0908
Manager: KEITH WILSON, SUPT CHUGACH ST PK
HC 52 BOX 8999
INDIAN, AK 99540
Phone 907-688-0908
Additional Remarks

- AIRSTRIP LOCATED INSIDE CHUGACH STATE PARK.
- HIKERS & VEHICLES INVOF AIRSTRIP.
- SHARPLY RISING TERRAIN EAST; SOUTH & WEST QUADRANTS.
- LANDINGS NOT ALLOWED ON LAKE.

There are no published instrument procedures at A13.
Some nearby airports with instrument procedures:

PAAQ - Palmer Municipal Airport (15 nm N)
PAWS - Wasilla Airport (21 nm NW)
PAED - Elmendorf Air Force Base (24 nm W)
PAMR - Merrill Field Airport (26 nm W)
PAGQ - Big Lake Airport (26 nm NW)
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

Christine
Site Admin

Post by Christine »

aero101 wrote:That's a possibility if I can get my 100hr done and WX cooperates? Actually, I have a friend needs to go to Willow to look at an airplane for purchase, maybe I can kill 2 birds with 1 stone? Has anyone decided on where they're flying into for sure, and coordinates available?
That would be great. Can you drag any other Maules along too?
Christine

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

Thats weird. What happened to my post? You quoted it so I know it was there for a while... It is really a pretty easy strip. Don't let it throw you off. If it is Eklutna you decide on, it is very likely I could get off a bit early and hang out for a bit on Tuesday.

This is about what it looks like now. They had a fire up there year before last and they widened it quite a bit.

The water is just about up to the little debris pile just visible at the end of the runway right now. That pic is deceptive as well. That is about a 30* slope down to the water.

http://adventurice.files.wordpress.com/ ... g_7122.jpg

Christine
Site Admin

Post by Christine »

You mean your post with all the beautiful pictures of Eklutna? Its on the previous page of this thread - p3
Tuesday is the 11th. I guess that should work too (that was the original date) Afternoon of the 11th until the 12th. How about you, Jim, do you think your airplane will be ready?

It would be really fun to have a few Maules together.
Christine
Christine

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

No, I mean the one four posts up. It has my avitar and a quote from me, but it is not my post. The quote is from the post that is missing!!!???... Scratches head... :shock:

Christine
Site Admin

Post by Christine »

crbnunit wrote:No, I mean the one four posts up. It has my avitar and a quote from me, but it is not my post. The quote is from the post that is missing!!!???... Scratches head... :shock:
Shucks. It was me- accidentally. I had signed into my Administrator Account and was going to edit my post and while selecting a quote I edited yours instead. Once I am in administration mode, I can't switch back. I am very sorry. I'll be more careful.
Christine

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

Christine
Site Admin

Post by Christine »

Update on Maule - End of flying season Mini Fly-In Alaska on Oct 12th @ A13

Aiming still for A13 on WED, the 12th as the conversion to wheels on Joe's Maule won't happen until a new wheel bearing arrives on Tuesday

WEDNESDAY 12th - BOLD airstrip (camping?)
Ray, counting on you as well for a stop after finishing your work day early.
Jim, I hope you can find your way down for this.
Kurt, you are in for sure???
Anyone else?

Christine
Christine