Valdez 2011

Discuss or announce upcoming gatherings.
Mauleguywanab

Post by Mauleguywanab »

Hey Dave,

Great to meet you down there. I have one take off and both landings on 3 short videos. I don't think I can email them but willing to try if you PM or post your email.

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

xwildcat wrote:Why do they have you guys in the Bush class? Seems like with the upgross... the 4s and 5s should be in the Heavy Touring class.

Hmmm. politics or misunderstanding.

BTW... what is the lt. touring mod on the tail?? Lt. Touring X wing mod??

Hmmm. response maybe.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

I notice that there are no "Rules" posted on the website? I was told that the MX7-180A would be light touring? Is this not true? The Maule is certainly not Bush Class, with all the supercubs, t-carts, etc? Was bush class specified by the organizers or requested by owners? Seems to me the bigger Cessna's could use the added competition and performance numbers / weights / useful loads, etc would be much more on par? :twisted: As matter of fact, when you compare the numbers of the M4, M5's delegated to Bush Class, they'd certainly be competitive in Heavy Touring? :roll:
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Maybe,........
The Maule 'is in a class of it's own'
Fits into Bush, Lt Touring, Hvy Touring classes according to the judges.
And Gregs Bushwacker Maule fitted into modified Bush.
That is why we fly them.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

Hottshot
100+ Posts

Post by Hottshot »

It was made mention by one of the members after the show that there might be a change in the "Type" class next year... as in Maule vs. Maule 170vs. 170 etc...

who knows only time will tell.

YELLOWMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by YELLOWMAULE »

The "Upgross Mods" were indeed a knee jerk response but, IAW Maule's dithering of many different ideas. That being said:
We recieved a call Friday evening saying they were going to put us into Heavy Touring based on the gross weights. That lasted for about 20 minutes Then they called back and put us back in the Bush class because "Model trumps gross weight" :shock: :? . Oh well.
I would like to see a "Heavy Bush" class. It would give a home to not only the Maules but Super Stinsons, 210 & 220 hp 170's and several others. They have the same number of planes and heats but a category that would be a bit more fun for both the pilots and the crowd. Unfortunately, there are too many people who don't or don't want to understand the Maules. :roll:
I would have loved to have had a shot at the Heavies, that'd be a hoot!
Live it like its your last day.

UP-M5
100+ Posts

Post by UP-M5 »

i would be happy just being put in the correct class by their own gross weight rules. :roll:

a 2500 lb 4 seater cannot really compete against a 1750 lb 2 seater......
M5-235

Hottshot
100+ Posts

Post by Hottshot »

UP-M5 wrote:i would be happy just being put in the correct class by their own gross weight rules. :roll:

a 2500 lb 4 seater cannot really compete against a 1750 lb 2 seater......

If loaded it might just work.... 8)

xwildcat
100+ Posts

Post by xwildcat »

OK... clear as mud. That's what I thought and why I asked. Now... what about the Lt touring mods you guys listed? What are those??

UP-M5
100+ Posts

Post by UP-M5 »

light touring is the class some maule drivers would prefer to be in because it matches us with aircraft more closely matching our gross weights. it was a ploy to persuade the powers that be.
putting us in the bush class has created much controversy over the last 2 years. but it is our punishment for being able to dominate in the other classes. :twisted:
M5-235

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

UP-M5 wrote:created much controversy over the last 2 years. but it is our punishment for being able to dominate in the other classes. :twisted:
That's sure what it sounds like to me, wonder what they'd do if a BUNCH of Bushwackers showed up and dominated the bush class? There's also still alot of old-schooler's up here that would have a hard time with the Maule dominating anything... They just can't accept the fact that the Maule is one on the most versatile airplanes out there in their class!!
Jim

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

xwildcat
100+ Posts

Post by xwildcat »

I see... phantom mods. No wonder I hadn't heard of those! In fact, I thought to myself that might be what you were doing when I read Light Touring.

From quite a distance away and with no dog in the fight (yet)... it seems a little... ummm... political. As if they'd like the odds to be stacked against Maules. Just an outsider's take.

akloon
100+ Posts

Post by akloon »

For the videos, my email is akloon@gci.net. If that doesn't work, and you're still willing to go through the effort, you can cut a CD and mail them to me, I'll be happy to pay for all of that,
Dave

7741 Canal Street,
Anchorage, AK 99502
1995 M-7-235B

YELLOWMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by YELLOWMAULE »

Cam, you hit it on the head. It has been politisized and it's unfortunate. There was one individual in a 170-something with a gear driven prop that was resentful of the Maules being placed in His class. (Did I mention he didn't stand a chance??) He made it a point to flex his muscle, made a lot of noise and keep us in the Bush class. Conveniently out of his way. Maybe in the next year or so he'll show up in a shiny new Cardinal and want to rewrite the rules again to favor his new steed. Whatever. :roll:
The point being that there are opportunities for making some headway toward a "Heavy Bush" class. It'll take involvement and patience. Or, we can get enough Maules to have at least one heat of our own. Dave, you did great for the -7, Great showing! Really glad you should up, next year you need to come over and camp with us too.
Here's the extent of the Organization not knowing anything of the Maules: They have the -4 & -5's in the Bush class (<2300>2500# gw). No provision for the MX series either. That'd put Jiim in Heavy with the MX-7, 180.
Seeing as how I'm the only round tail, next year I'll tell 'em that I'm the fabled M-9 8) and get placed in heavy touring. :wink:
Live it like its your last day.

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

HMMMmmm, the MX7 would probably work pretty good with the heavies until someone complained. That'd be kind of like running your M4 with the PA18's only the advantage to me?? Too bad we don't have a Mauler or someone familiar with the various Maule combo's on the committee setting this thing up. There's just so many engine / airframe combo's with the Maules that one shoe doesn't fit them all...
Jim