6/25/10 - BCP Fly-In - Sciota, PA (50PA)

Discuss or announce upcoming gatherings.
Skystrider
100+ Posts

Post by Skystrider »

Here is a "post action" report.

Friday morning we set up the 20 x 40 tent, dragged out the tables and chairs, got ice for the coolers, etc. and sweated! :lol:

First in on Friday was Mike in his MXT7-180.

A couple hours later Claudius in his Air Cam and Tom in his Maule MX7-180 swooped in and set up camp for the weekend.
Image.

At the same time Kenny and Debbie showed up by car and tents started popping up.

One fellow chapter member, Rich, decided to do a little "red neck" camping in the back of his pickup truck!

Rich, John, and Tim from the chapter helped direct traffic and do odds and ends. Pam ran around with a clip board signing people in. We cooked up hamburgers and dogs, had potato salad (Thanks to John's wife) and chips, and I think one or two beers were consumed! :lol: We had two good size telescopes to observe with and one had a solar filter for peeks at the sun which showed only a single sunspot.

Friday evening, we got a campfire started and tried a little more telescope watching. Alas, between the full moon and haze not much was seen!

The next morning was warm and ground fog hung around waiting to burn off. The coffee was put on and Rich Hosking's wife showed up with still hot sticky buns! HMMMMM!

Pretty soon the planes started arriving! Gene landed in his beautiful Rans S-7 and immediatley attracted a crowd.

He was quickly followed by Perry in his Maule MX7-180C and Walter in his Cessna 180.

Please excuse me if I get some of these pictures mixed up. It was fast and furious for a little while.
A gorgeous orange/black Maule M5-180 (Jerry) was next.

Followed by a PA 15 (Walter), PA 18 Super Cub(Christina), Zenith 701(Ulis), and an Aeronca Chief(Bill).

Last in was James in his Maule M5-235. Lunch was cooked and consumed, rides were given, and many stories were told. Got some more time on solar observing. A few stayed Saturday night and pizza was ordered in. James cooked some great organic steaks which he generously shared. And I think I saw a bottle of wine make a brief appearance before disappearing! In the evening we watched "Dead Stick Takeoffs" on the "big" screen.

The next morning we loaded up the Air Cam and three Maules and made our way to Sky Manor, about 20 minutes away, for breakfast. Then it was back to Pegasus to pack up and depart.

For myself, I met a lot of great people and really enjoyed sharing time and stories with them. Thanks to everyone who helped out! :lol:
1980 Maule M5-180C
Rod Hatcher

Tomkatz
100+ Posts

Post by Tomkatz »

Rod,

I can't say enough! Your event was great. You have a really wonderfully field. The guys and gals are 1st class as are you. I never expected such kindness and great hospitality. The bad new is that I will do everything I can to be back next year. It was nice to see the Maules and More Maule pilots.

To Perry and James, I hope to see you guys again soon.

The Essex Sky park (W48) Wings and Wheels Fly-in is on September 18, 2010. There is camping on the field. It would be great to see a lot of East coast and mid west Maules. When things settle down we can relax on the porch and have some friendly spot landing Comp. (This was my attempt to see everyone again :roll: )

Again, Rod Thank you so much for a wonderful time and I know Claudius feels the same way.

Take care and tell everyone, thanks!

P.S. The flight home was uneventful.
Tom K.