Fly ins for Maules

Discuss or announce upcoming gatherings.
Don Fitzpatrick Jr

Fly ins for Maules

Post by Don Fitzpatrick Jr »

We are planning to go to Oshkosh next summer and would love to hook up with other Maule pilots who might be camped there.

Also, I am interested in the NW fly in, if there is one. I know it is usually in June and would like to plan ahead. We already have some events in June that could be conflicts.

Don

marymac

Post by marymac »

Last year, the Maule group joined the backcountrypilot.org fly-in at the Johnson Creek strip in Yellow Pine, Idaho. It was in late June. I know that the dates were changed this year because of fires previous years. Perhaps some of us will feel motivated to put together a Maule fly-in next year! :D

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

Last year, I saw one Maule at Oshkosh, I'm sure there were more, but it is about the most underrepresented aircraft at fly-ins. I can't get Maules to show at Sun-N-Fun either

jmtgt
100+ Posts

Post by jmtgt »

I would love to attend either of those but they are far and I do not get enough time off to attend. I think next year I will fly the smokers to GA and steal A64's Maule and follow him to OSH :shock:

I would love a Maule fly-in some place but not gonna attend a joint one like last year. Look forward to seeing what comes up! :D

Are there any ideas for any place than Idaho??? How about Colorado and Utah? Maybe Montana?

Wayne

Post by Wayne »

East coast and west coast fly-ins are great but we need to have a fly-in in the middle of the country. That falls around 1100 nm miles from each coast. This way we may get a really good turn out if east and west coast guys can come.
I live almost right on the east coast and JC this summer was a great trip. But two real big days of flying one way makes for a really long trip. So I think a big day out then one back would make it a easy trip for the most part.
So some of you middle of the country guys need to suggest some nice spots to have a fly-in and will see what comes about. :wink:

Tomkatz
100+ Posts

Post by Tomkatz »

I agree with Wayne, a mid country fly in will draw from 360 degrees. There has got to be a location in the mid west which will provide a great location.
Tom K.

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

Tomkatz wrote:I agree with Wayne, a mid country fly in will draw from 360 degrees. There has got to be a location in the mid west which will provide a great location.
That's kinda the problem, we know what Idaho has to offer for example, but what's in Kansas?

YELLOWMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by YELLOWMAULE »

I don't know, but you can see it from Nebraska, or Oklahoma or Texas or.... :lol: :lol: :wink:
Live it like its your last day.

Wayne

Post by Wayne »

JC is a beautiful place I agree. But, I would say I enjoyed meeting and talking to the guys from the Backcountry and Maule pilots sites the most along with putting the a face with the names.

The location I feel doesn't matters that much anyway. Because when you put this many talented pilots together with their stories the weekend is to short anyway. That's what JC is like. :lol:

If not kansas maybe a lttle farther north or south.
Last edited by Wayne on Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

yellowbelly

Post by yellowbelly »

a64pilot wrote:
Tomkatz wrote:I agree with Wayne, a mid country fly in will draw from 360 degrees. There has got to be a location in the mid west which will provide a great location.
That's kinda the problem, we know what Idaho has to offer for example, but what's in Kansas?
Beaumont Hotel. Fly 5 mi north to see 100+ head of mustangs running free on the long-grass prairie. I'm sure they would love to have a bunch of Maules camp on the airfield for a weekend. Or, you can taxi down the county road (stop at the stop sign and look both ways!!) to park on the lawn of the hotel (which is haunted, BTW).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ns7DxeDzVKs

YB

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

I've stayed at Beaumont. Neat place,nice people, but absolutely nothing there.
If you come in bad Wx beware of the windmills south of there.
Great place to stop at when travelling because your airplane is at the front door of the Hotel, no travel time to airport wasted.

I'll fly to Beaumont for a meet, but I have dibs on a room :D
I plan on stopping there on my way to Reno next month.

brokenaero
100+ Posts

Post by brokenaero »

How about the Missouri Ozarks? New airport, close to NW Arkansas. Tri lakes area. Buffalo River etc. I take care of the airport there.....so I have the conections.
Also doug from KY was talking about one in KY. Either if these would fill your "middle of the country" thing.

Think it over. I'd be glad to do something like that. And I heard Doug was also primed up for it.
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just; and that His justice cannot sleep forever.-- T. Jefferson

Haywire

Fly-In Location

Post by Haywire »

A nice place...Gaston's White River Resort, in North-central Arkansas. It is 150nm WNW of Memphis. Has a lot to offer: restaurant, fishing, cabins, etc. Check their website: www.Gastons.com

Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Doug's is more of a east coast fly-in and guys from the midwest. Its only about a 450 nm mile trip from the east coast. I'm planning on going to his fly-in.
I think we need to keep it more middle around the 1100 nm from each coast or even favor a little more west because the guys coming across the mountains can't fly much of a straight line like us flat and low landers.
Beaumont looks like a good spot and would be fine but still favors the east coast guys a little.

(I rereading this post after I posted it and had to laugh to my self. I didn't mean that the guys from the west coast like RodBurson can't fly straight I meant some of the hills they have out there get in the way. :lol: )

RobBurson
100+ Posts

Post by RobBurson »

My 2 cents worth. South central Colorado is about 400 miles west of center.

I spent some time there in Sept. Spectacular area.

Leadville 9927MSL highest GA airport in North America.

Hooper Hot spring has a dirt strip. Way cool swimming pool. Camping. Food.

We stayed at a private grass strip 8600MSL. The owner would probably let us use it.

If you are in the area you should see Durango. They have a steam engine that goes 45 miles to Silverton and back.