Location of caliper with 31 inch tires

..now in a separate topic for all of us who needs to make a decision which ADS-B System to get. I will be moving ADS-B topics into this section. If I missed some please send me a link via email to the ADS-B topic to ‚CK at forums url‘
Gary Raser

Location of caliper with 31 inch tires

Post by Gary Raser »

Gary Raser

Re: Location of caliper with 31 inch tires

Post by Gary Raser »

Hi All my first attempt at adding a photo,
I have installed M-9 axels double puck brakes and 31" tires, In the picture you can see the location of the caliper, it was the only place there was enough clearance with the spring gear. even with the m-9 axel and 12 psi in the tires there is still a little contact between tire and caliper. The tires and brakes are working well. My question- is this location of the double puck caliper standard on spring gear? The plane is a 2008 M-7 235C
Thanks for your thoughts
Gary

asa
100+ Posts

Post by asa »

No experience with spring gear maules, but are you sure the brake rotors you have are correct? There are two different models of brake rotors with the difference being the thickness of the rotor surface and more importantly for you, the offset from wheel to rotor. Only the high offset model will work with bushwheels. Airframes Alaska only sells the correct one these days. Originally by Cleveland, one was made for 6.00 tires and one was made for 8.50.

As an aside, I would not want my calipers hanging down as the lowest thing. Also, if the calipers don’t fit at the front or back, that likely means that they only fit at your bottom placement because of tire flex. But soft tires flex all over the place so I would not run them like that.

-Asa

Undaunted
100+ Posts

Post by Undaunted »

Been there done that and had the same problem. You will need the brake disc spacer kit from Airframes Alaska. This will move the wheel out so it does not rub on the brake. Im not sure of the part number but if you call them they will set you up. Once I installed this the rub issue is not longer an issue even with 10 lbs. I will see if I can get the part number and or a photo.
1999 M7-235C

Undaunted
100+ Posts

Post by Undaunted »

This is what it is, I got mine from AA. I needed 2 per wheel to bring it out a full 1/4 inch and will need longer bolts for this. AA has a kit with this and the bolts. The description in the link below is exactly how you install these. Also with regards to the double puck brakes I believe I had to slightly round the end of the spring arm to accommodate the caliper housing. Hope that helps.

https://fadodge.com/brake-disc-spacer-f ... rake-kits/
1999 M7-235C

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

The caliper is best mounted in forward location.
This produces better braking as rotational forces pull the tyre 'to' the ground rather than 'away' from the ground.
On a side loaded tyre, (crosswind landing etc) the tyre(of any size) is deflected inwards and it contacts the caliper.
With lower pressures if the tyre is rotating upwards toward the caliper it can grip, tear, or stop the rotation.
If caliper is on front the tyre will not be deflected onto it and will pass on by.
The axle mounting holes are biased to the rear of the original wide spring gear so the caliper cannot fit unless the front bottom corner of the gear is relieved with file etc. Maule does have a drawing for this if one wants or needs one.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

Another good reason to mount the caliper on the front is to protect the disk pads from water, dirt and debris.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

Gary Raser

Post by Gary Raser »

Thanks everyone