ADSB receiver in the tail?

..now in a separate topic for all of us who needs to make a decision which ADS-B System to get. I will be moving ADS-B topics into this section. If I missed some please send me a link via email to the ADS-B topic to ‚CK at forums url‘
Rezrider
100+ Posts

Re: ADSB receiver in the tail?

Post by Rezrider »

Has anyone installed the Tail Beacon X? Is there an issue with the clearance inside the area behind the fabric?
My transponder is on it's way out and I'm considering ADS-B out options.
Thanks folks.
1980 M5-235
Four Corners

asa
100+ Posts

Post by asa »

Rezrider wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 4:36 pm
Has anyone installed the Tail Beacon X? Is there an issue with the clearance inside the area behind the fabric?
My transponder is on it's way out and I'm considering ADS-B out options.
Thanks folks.
uAvionix didn't add any Maules to the TailbeaconX STC AML unfortunately. I was hoping to install one so I called and asked if they were going to add them and they said no. They say it won't fit in the fabric so they don't want people buying it STC'd thinking it will just slide in. It's slightly larger than a tailbeacon which is a tight fit and will push out on the fabric.

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Not sure I understand what you are trying to do. If your transponder is on the way out you need a transponder. Just install an ADS-B type transponder like the Stratus ESG. Has all the stuff inside to be compliant. If you want ADS-B in then add the Stratus 3i.

I see the UAvionix units as band aids at best when one may have a good transponder. Those old transponders are going to fail and the supply of used ones that will pass certs are drying up. Gonna have to buy a transponder sooner or later. At this point in time looks like the Stratus ESG is the best bang for the buck. While you are at a couple hundred more bucks adds a new encoder. Most of the old ones out there are on their last leg also.

asa
100+ Posts

Post by asa »

gbarrier wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 4:03 am
Not sure I understand what you are trying to do. If your transponder is on the way out you need a transponder. Just install an ADS-B type transponder like the Stratus ESG. Has all the stuff inside to be compliant. If you want ADS-B in then add the Stratus 3i.

I see the UAvionix units as band aids at best when one may have a good transponder. Those old transponders are going to fail and the supply of used ones that will pass certs are drying up. Gonna have to buy a transponder sooner or later. At this point in time looks like the Stratus ESG is the best bang for the buck. While you are at a couple hundred more bucks adds a new encoder. Most of the old ones out there are on their last leg also.
The tailbeaconX (notice the X) is a full transponder. It eliminates having a separate transponder in your panel, provided you have an AV20 or AV30 to run it.

Running the uAvionix tailbeacon (no X) or sky beacon does require a transponder. Personally I’m a huge fan of the seemingly endless supply of $500 GTX330’s on eBay. My most recent one even came with 8130, encoder, and a new harness. Love it. Also love the anonymous mode on uAvionix options.

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

I have been appropriately schooled.

asa
100+ Posts

Post by asa »

gbarrier wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 2:45 pm
I have been appropriately schooled.
I realize now that my post may have been taken as rude, I didn’t mean it that way.

I see your bandaid point about the normal tail and sky beacons. The X is a pretty cool system it seems and I’m a little in awe of it. Has antenna diversity which even the Garmin 345’s don’t. No external antennas (vs 2 for other brands), no encoder, no space in panel. Sort of crazy that they can do it. Seems very “next generation” tech after so many years of transponders being big boxes in the panel weighing 5lbs. Too bad their approval isn’t maule friendly.

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

The tailBeaconX's antenna diversity and 1090 ES make it a good choice for anyone flying into Canada since they are eventually going with satellite ADS-B while the USA is stuck with ground stations. Too bad about the problem with the fit on the Maule. The only disadvantage that I see with it is the questionable ground connection through the rudder hinge. You can overcome that with a ground strap.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

Rezrider
100+ Posts

Post by Rezrider »

You guys have correctly figured it out. My KT-76 is intermittent so no point in using it for the sky beacon or tail beacon combo install. I either need to go Tail beacon X or different transponder all together.
I'll check out the Stratus ESG along with other options. I don't like the idea of the fabric issues in the rudder and it may have balance issues with that thing hanging out back there.
Thanks for the thoughts.
1980 M5-235
Four Corners

DavZeeMXT

Post by DavZeeMXT »

I was very interested in the tailbeaconX and had a couple phone conversations with the folks at uavionics. It seemed the tailbeaconx wasn’t going to work out because of the tight confines of the Maule tail light area. I asked if there were any plans for a wing mounted SkybeaconX and they said yes they were absolutely going to have one but it would be much easier to certify after getting the tailbeaconx done.
That was a while ago. I started reading some poor performance reports on the av-30 that must be used for the transponder interface.
I decided to go with a stratus esg transponder and 3i. I’m very happy with it and the pricing was very good. I’ve done the FAA performance report and it’s come back perfect.
1997 Maule MXT-7-180A
Based KSFZ

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

The AV-30, which is the primary control head for the tailBeaconX or skyBeacon, is not approved for primary IFR GPS navigation since it's not scaled for IFR lateral or vertical guidance. If your airplane is Experimental category and you have a MGL EFIS and an IFR-certified WAAS position source, you could interface the tailBeaconX or skyBeacon with it and be IFR-certified. Practically speaking, the tailBeaconX or skyBeacon are VFR-only in certified aircraft without an IFR GPS. While I think that a future version of the skyBeacon with 1090 ES and antenna diversity would be a good option for ADS-B In/Out on Maules, the AV-30 would have to be approved for IFR-certified aircraft before I would consider it.

Now that Garmin has a GTX 345D ADS-B In/Out transponder with an antenna diversity option, my choice for ADS-B In/Out and GPS/NAV/COM VFR and IFR in the USA and Canada would be:
Garmin GTX 345D transponder with antenna diversity
Garmin GTN 650Xi GPS/NAV/COM
Garmin G5 AI
Garmin G5 HSI

My panel is not designed for larger displays so I would have to stick with smaller ones. If you are redoing your panel and have room for larger displays, then a Garmin G3X would be something to consider instead of dual G5s.

I like my Appareo ESG/Stratus 2i but it's inability to display TIS-B traffic and FIS-B weather on my Garmin GTN 650 GPS/NAV/COM is a disadvantage and it doesn't do antenna diversity.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

asa
100+ Posts

Post by asa »

andy wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 5:02 am
.....The AV-30, which is the primary control head for the tailBeaconX or skyBeacon, is not approved for primary IFR GPS navigation since it's not scaled for IFR lateral or vertical guidance...... the AV-30 would have to be approved for IFR-certified aircraft before I would consider it.
To clarify, The AV30 is certified to replace the attitude indicator and directional gyro, in both IFR and VFR airplanes. You would need to retain a separate CDI indicator to be legal for primary display of approach lateral/vertical guidance though. A definite shortcoming over over units for the ifr crowd.