ADSB receiver in the tail?

..now in a separate topic for all of us who needs to make a decision which ADS-B System to get. I will be moving ADS-B topics into this section. If I missed some please send me a link via email to the ADS-B topic to ‚CK at forums url‘
Andy Young
100+ Posts

Re: ADSB receiver in the tail?

Post by Andy Young »

I sorta went past Devil’s tower, but not close enough to see; it was about 90 miles east of my route. I’ve visited there in the past though. In fact, I got weathered in there for a few days years ago. I had forgotten about that chart notice; pretty funny.

wtxdragger
100+ Posts

Post by wtxdragger »

Does anybody make a permanent mount ADSB Receiver with external antenna?
Mercifully Free from the Ravages of Intelligence
1989 M7-235 N90KD
1975 T210L N1675X
2022 CCK-1865 N922UM

https://www.instagram.com/wtxdragger/

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

If you have a stratus transponder then yes. The 3i mounts anywhere anywhere and gets antenna and power from the transponder as has been said. You can also mount the 2i/3i or for that matter the the 2s/3s anywhere and use the remote antenna that stratus (suction cup) or Garmin (lay on dash) but you will need a 5v power source. Can probably hijack power from a good USB adapter.

Yep, hate wires everywhere.

Smokyray

Post by Smokyray »

I installed the UAvionix Tailbeacon in my M5-180, per the STC. Easy peasy, straightforward and works well. Since I always either have my iPhone or iPad along with me, I can reference the app as to its functionality via Bluetooth. The only slight downside is your position light switch stays on always for ADSB operation which made my LED wingtip bulb (not that they were necessary) purchase easier to rationalize!
8)
Works great, hopefully lasting a long time!
V/R
Smokey

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

But that doesn’t give you ADS-B in. And how old is your transponder?

wtxdragger
100+ Posts

Post by wtxdragger »

Maybe I found one, what do y'all think?

https://store.falkenavionics.com/products/flightbox-pro
1989 M7-235 N90KD
1975 T210L N1675X
2022 CCK-1865 N922UM

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

wtxdragger wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:47 pm
Maybe I found one, what do y'all think?

https://store.falkenavionics.com/products/flightbox-pro
Still has a GPS receiver that has to go somewhere. They recommend the glareshield, so it sounds like it might still be a free-floating type of device. I wonder why they don’t put the GPS receiver in the box, and just hook it to an external GPS antenna?

wtxdragger
100+ Posts

Post by wtxdragger »

It is a permanent mount to allow for the AHRS function, and gets permanent power from the plane.
(After I made this bold statement I realized that my sentry suction cupped the the window does the same.)

Just need to find an aircraft USB WAAS antenna now. :)

They make a statement in the description about a dorsal mount GPS antenna, so I sent an email asking which one.

"The built-in WAAS GPS provides precise position data to your EFB application. With the dash-mount antenna the GPS fix is typically 5 - 3 meters. With a dorsal mount external antenna the fix can be as precise as 1 meter."
1989 M7-235 N90KD
1975 T210L N1675X
2022 CCK-1865 N922UM

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

Seems they have some contradictory info in there. This is what I was referring to; it’s a bit down the page from the part you quoted:

GPS Receiver

The FlightBox Pro system includes a WAAS GPS receiver module on a 5' USB cable. The GPS receiver is typically mounted on the glare shield, but may be located anywhere in the aircraft with a reasonably unobstructed view of the sky (i.e. in a window, under a turtle-deck skylight, etc.).

wtxdragger
100+ Posts

Post by wtxdragger »

Andy,
I saw that also, just thought that the 5' receiver was included, but a different receiver could be used. I'll post as soon as I get an answer about the Dorsal receiver. I'm hoping this will be a viable permanent solution.
I'm not organized enough to get all my paraphernalia charged at the same time. :)
1989 M7-235 N90KD
1975 T210L N1675X
2022 CCK-1865 N922UM

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

I use a tail beacon and a sentry. No charging required as the Sentry is forever plugged in so it’s just a touch of a button and I have ADSB in. An uncharged Sentry turns on immediately if plugged in to a USB port.

Smokyray

Post by Smokyray »

I like the Ping ADSB-In receiver myself as its Wing-X pro friendly (and all the other apps as well) suction mounts in side windshield out of the way but works well. Only downside is no WX but I get that thru the Wing X app which is free to Veterans FYI.
$175 with free shipping from Sportys.

V/R
Smokey

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

I think it's important to determine which app you are going to use before you pick the ADS-B In receiver. I'm heavily invested in ForeFlight so that narrows down the selection of ADS-B In receivers. After that, the mounting arrangement is important to me. I've got more than enough battery operated devices to remember to charge so I prefer a receiver that gets aircraft power and antenna since I don't like stringing wires all over the cabin. My Appareo ESG/Stratus 2i system works well but I can only display traffic and weather on my iPad/ForeFlight. If I had it to do over again, I would probably get a Garmin GTX 345 transponder that has a built-in ADS-B In receiver as well as 1090ES ADS-B Out. It is designed to interface with my Garmin GTN 650 GPS/NAV/COM and it connects to ForeFlight seamlessly using Bluetooth. That's the arrangement we have at work and it displays traffic and weather on both the GTN 650 and the iPad/ForeFlight combination. The only other thing I would want is a diversity antenna so that I could receive ADS-B signals from satellites as well as ground stations once Canada starts using satellite-based ADS-B.

As far as a portable ADS-B In receiver, I like the ForeFlight Sentry. It's small, easy to mount, receives both 978 and 1090, has a 12-hour rechargeable battery, AHRS, WAAS GPS, CO detector, barometric altimeter and is seamlessly integrated into the ForeFlight app.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

wtxdragger
100+ Posts

Post by wtxdragger »

An Update

I guess it is a mute point for now. The FlightBox guys just told me that due to the desire to send all of our money overseas, the units will not be available until the 2nd Quarter of 2022.

I guess I'll keep using my Sentry, which does work exactly as advertised. :)
1989 M7-235 N90KD
1975 T210L N1675X
2022 CCK-1865 N922UM

LT4247
100+ Posts

Post by LT4247 »

Do you happen to remember which LED bulbs you bought? Concerned about reports of RF coming out of some.
Smokyray wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:27 am
The only slight downside is your position light switch stays on always for ADSB operation which made my LED wingtip bulb (not that they were necessary) purchase easier to rationalize!
8)
Works great, hopefully lasting a long time!
V/R
Smokey

J.R. Lane
GEORGIA
----------------------------
"I say all that big talk is worth doodly squat"!
- Granny Hawkins