Maule strobe lights

..now in a separate topic for all of us who needs to make a decision which ADS-B System to get. I will be moving ADS-B topics into this section. If I missed some please send me a link via email to the ADS-B topic to ‚CK at forums url‘
dastout

Maule strobe lights

Post by dastout »

M5-180c Maule has SDI Hoskins position lights with strobes . Strobe bulb burnt out. Anybody have an idea of where I might obtain a bulb? I called Maule and they said that hasn’t had any in years. BF Goodrich apparently bought Hoskins. Probably time to upgrade to leds. Any LED available as direct replacements? Would I need field approval ? Thanks for anything that helps!

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

Aeroflash might have a replacement bulb. Check Aircraft Spruce for the part number of yours. Unfortunately, Aeroflash itself is out of business so I don't know how good the parts stock is.

It might be time to replace the strobes with LEDs. If one of mine goes out, that's what I'm planning to do. Removal of the high voltage power packs also lightens up the airplane a bit and reduces the load on the electrical system. I looked at AeroLEDs and Whelen. Both are TSO compliant but neither is listed on the Maule REL or OEL currently published on their website. Whelen's Orion 650 is $535 per light assembly on Aircraft Spruce. Their Orion 600 is also has a rear position light built-in and goes for $652 on Aircraft Spruce. AeroLEDs Pulsar series are more expensive starting at $1150 each.
Andy
1986 MX7-180