Uavionix Tailbeacon....not for M4

..now in a separate topic for all of us who needs to make a decision which ADS-B System to get. I will be moving ADS-B topics into this section. If I missed some please send me a link via email to the ADS-B topic to ‚CK at forums url‘
DavZeeMXT

Tailbeacon in MXT-7

Post by DavZeeMXT »

Does anyone have any experience installing the tailbeacon
in a MXT-7? My mechanic is saying that it won’t fit in the existing hole
because it’s not deep enough? I’m hoping someone has done an install and knows what’s going on.
1997 Maule MXT-7-180A
Based KSFZ

bobguhr
100+ Posts

Post by bobguhr »

Not a Maule but the same idea. Start with page 3 #97 and read through.
https://www.supercub.org/forum/showthre ... sues/page3

bobguhr
100+ Posts

Post by bobguhr »

Not a Maule but the same idea. Start with page 3 #97 and read through.
https://www.supercub.org/forum/showthre ... sues/page3

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

This seems to be a reoccurring theme. I think most get worried about the beacon touching the fabric. You have to push it in and turn, once it’s turned it will barely touch the fabric of at all. Just make sure the fabric is nice and warm when you install the beacon.

Stinger
100+ Posts

Re: Tailbeacon in MXT-7

Post by Stinger »

DavZeeMXT wrote:Does anyone have any experience installing the tailbeacon
in a MXT-7? My mechanic is saying that it won’t fit in the existing hole
because it’s not deep enough? I’m hoping someone has done an install and knows what’s going on.
I put mine into an MX-7. It fit in the hole fine, but it goes it an a 45 degree angle and then rotates to line up and lock into position. On that rotation is when it hits the fabric inside and you'll see some paint cracking. Like Mog said, you'll be better served if you get it nice and warm before installation (something I didn't do) but once it's in the vertical position it fits just fine.

Rezrider
100+ Posts

Re: Uavionix Tailbeacon....not for M4

Post by Rezrider »

Just to refresh this thread. Does the tail beacon fit into and M-5 rudder? I see a new tail beacon X is coming out, wonder if that will fit too.
Looking at ADS-b out options at next annual.
Cheers
1980 M5-235
Four Corners

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

If you install a TailBeacon, I recommend that you install a ground strap between the airframe tube and the rudder tube. Using the rudder hinges to provide a ground may cause the TailBeacon to reboot in flight or stop operating entirely if there is dirt, grease or poor contact surface alignment. The TailBeacon installation manual alludes to the importance of a good ground on page 29:

3.tailBeacon may be grounded to the aircraft structure via the mounting screws. However, it is recommended to connect the black wire to the battery ground.

It's easier to install a ground strap between the airframe tube and the rudder tube than to fish the black ground wire from the TailBeacon through the tubing inside the fabric. The skyBeacon doesn't have this problem.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

We have fit one in at least 1 M5. It will pooch out the fabric a bit on almost any model including the M5. But it does not hurt the fabric in anyway.

Rezrider
100+ Posts

Post by Rezrider »

Ok good to know, thanks guys.
1980 M5-235
Four Corners

DavZeeMXT

Post by DavZeeMXT »

I contacted uavionix about the certification for the TailbeaconX. The person I spoke to said that it wouldn’t be soon but sometime in 2021. When asked about the SkybeaconX she said that it would follow after TailbeaconX because it’s technically similar. I’m wanting it because it’s also a transponder that interfaces with the AV-30.
1997 Maule MXT-7-180A
Based KSFZ

DavZeeMXT

Post by DavZeeMXT »

Good news today from UAvionix. TailbeaconX is FAA certified. Hopefully SkybeaconX will be close behind.
1997 Maule MXT-7-180A
Based KSFZ

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

Super excited about the tailbeacon and AV-30. Going to save up my pennies for them.

krautman67

Post by krautman67 »

TailbeaconX, can anyone shed some light on why the M5 and M6 are NOT on the AML for the TailbeaconX STC? …..and the M7 is?
I am unaware of rear nav light installation differences in these aircraft. If it does differ, can we not simply do a minor modification to facilitate a fit, like extending the mounting flange spacer provided by Uavionix? The Canadian ADS-B mandate for flight into Class C airspace goes into effect 2026, just 3 years down the road. The ONLY compliant ADS-B OUT is the Uavionix TailbeaconX. (We need an antenna facing up, since Nav Canada utilizes satellite data transfer) And now, I can’t use that unit since the Maule 5 is not on the AML 😡
I guess I should just play the waiting game, so many new options coming so fast. I would really like to have ADS-B OUT/IN in the same unit, which Uavionix does not currently offer. I prefer to have everything panel mounted, nothing portable.

Carl
1976 M5-235C

asa
100+ Posts

Post by asa »

A couple thoughts. The tailbeacon (no X) is substantially smaller than the X. I've had both in hand and I saw no way to get the tailbeacon X into the maule rudder, and mine was uncovered. The steel flange is not large enough to enlarge the hole and the hole is not near big enough. It's actually not just the steel flange, but the structural tubes of the rudder. The adapter you mention would have to completely house the tailbeaconX for it to fit unless you did some welding I think. The tailbeacon (no X) fits fine. I was very motivated to use the X on my M6 but once I had it in hand, I could not see a suitable path forward unfortunately.

As for approval, do Garmin GTX335's have an STC? Does your radio have an STC? Intercom? Stratus transponders? Pretty sure none of them do, only the proper TSO approvals.

uAvionix did the STC simply for marketing. The TSO approvals should allow you to install just like any other transponder which none of them have STC's. They told me they didn't want the maules on the STC because the unit so clearly didn't fit, they didn't want negative reviews when people tried. I didn't realize that the M7 was on there though.

Hope this helps. The normal tailbeacon fits great. Can get pictures if necessary.

krautman67

Post by krautman67 »

Thank you ASA,
I was under the impression that ALL nav lights in all light aircraft have been the same since the beginning of time. FALSE!
I took mine apart today to measure everything, it’s exactly like you describe, way too tight, can’t be easily modified. The OD required for the Tailbeacon X is 45.38mm, the M5 rudder nav light OD is only 39.37mm.

I see that the tailbeacon (no x) would probably work, but is not Canadian compliant.

….which reduces my options from one to zero. I will play the waiting game. I recently got a quote (before I realized the compliance issue) for the Garmin 345GTX and GI275 PFD/ADI … $23,500. I will never spend that for a VFR aircraft. Wait for an easier solution for the ADS-B, and put in a GRT MINI EFIS for $1,600. I just don’t care if it’s for certified only.
1976 M5-235C