It’s coming

..now in a separate topic for all of us who needs to make a decision which ADS-B System to get. I will be moving ADS-B topics into this section. If I missed some please send me a link via email to the ADS-B topic to ‚CK at forums url‘
Redhawk
100+ Posts

It’s coming

Post by Redhawk »

ADSB-out is big brothers way of implementing future user fees on every flight we take. I hope I’m wrong...
Last edited by Redhawk on Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stinger
100+ Posts

Post by Stinger »

If ADS-B was mandated for all aircraft and altitudes, maybe it could be a precursor.
But since there's no plan for that, it's a lot of people that are scared of technology that are complaining.
It's sure nice being able to have a heads-up on traffic.

Redhawk
100+ Posts

ADSB

Post by Redhawk »

I do agree with that... I have a LYNX transponder and it’s eye opening to see all the traffic I would never know was around me otherwise !

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Post by Mountain Doctor »

Screw this thing.

I don't live or operate where it will be required and I already have enough computer programs watching me I'm sure.

If the $5,000 or so gave me a higher rate of climb or faster top speed or lower stall speed or shorter takeoff run then it would help my safety. Until then I'll spend the money on flying.

When my perfectly good transponder craps out or my GPS/COM goes TU and I NEED something new in the panel I'll consider the 'update' but until then I'll wait for the prices to come down and FLY THE PLANE.

BTW I also hate Teslas but I do OK with my iPhone so I am not technology adverse per se, but I do pick my battles.
I am an AME in Richland, Washington. Please call for an appointment!

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Post by Mountain Doctor »

Also one can have ADSB-in for cheap without the govenment mandated reporting beacon.
I am an AME in Richland, Washington. Please call for an appointment!

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

Sucks for us guys in Mode C Veils. I would forgo the out option until things got more reasonable, but I’m forced to install now if I want to actually fly my plane without driving over 1hr to get to the airport.

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

I see a little different perspective from work. what we are seeing at the airline is reduced separation and better utilization of airspace . the biggest area is over the North Atlantic , I'm not flying international these days but we are getting the training anyway. the newer equipment is getting a lot of their clearances over satcom and there is a test program to reduce separation going on now. Just like GPS has changed navigation satellite based atc functions will improve the system. AOPA has been pretty good at keeping user fees in check we need to stay involved to keep congress from imposing a euro style system here. we will have to keep our guard up.
Kirk Johnson
If god had meant man to fly he would have given him more money

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

I quite appreciate seeing other ADS-B equipped acft on my Ipad. I certainly try to keep my head outside the cockpit but it is certainly a fore warning of traffic. The sooner all (well almost all) have it the safer we will be. Just don't think that is all the traffic there is but sure helps plan ahead in the pattern.

ajak
100+ Posts

Post by ajak »

My ADSB in-only setup (sorry everyone else - I'll upgrade to ADSB-out when I can afford it) has saved my bacon a couple of times in some pretty busy airspace. It's pretty eye opening to see how much traffic is around you, especially when you start seeing how much goes by "electronically" that you never acquire visually. I treat it like other instruments in the aircraft - the ADSB traffic display should be something you scan occasionally while continuing to mostly look out the window, but never fixate on. When used correctly, it absolutely does have the potential for reducing traffic conflicts and midairs. The wider it continues to be adopted, the more effective our equipment will become.
AJ
1983 M-6-235
IO-540W1A5D, 81" Hartzell, 4" ext gear, 31" tires, Atlee exhaust, long wings, VGs, LED ldg/nav/strobes, EDM-900, CiES

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

I'm glad that I moved to ADS-B In/Out. In-cockpit weather and traffic is a big benefit from my viewpoint. If you don't squawk ADS-B Out, you can't get a full traffic picture since you won't see the non-ADS-B-Out equipped aircraft. If you squawk ADS-B Out, then you can get re-transmitted non-ADS-B traffic in your service volume from the ground stations. I've found that nearby traffic is detected much sooner than it is visible so it's a big improvement in situational awareness.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

LT4247
100+ Posts

Re: It’s coming

Post by LT4247 »

Agree with Redhawk.
“ADS-B out is only required same as mode Câ€￾. How long will that last? Once most aircraft are ADS-B out and transmitting all your info, govt can always change the airspace AND charge fees if it likes. IE: “ADS-B is so good that FAA has decided that ALL airspace in USA will now require ADS-B out for any flight to anywhereâ€￾. Then if govt wants fees they just need to put in place a plan to collect it. All the heavy lifting already done on the sneak.
All this for the safety of the population, airlines and all that. Hopefully i am wrong. Where i fly we dont need ADS-B out so not having it will be a minor inconvenience unless govt changes airspace. Fingers crossed.
Redhawk wrote:ADSB-out is big brothers way of implementing future user fees on every flight we take. I hope I’m wrong...
J.R. Lane
GEORGIA
----------------------------
"I say all that big talk is worth doodly squat"!
- Granny Hawkins

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Big brother will charge us when they decide to whether we have ADS-B or not. I know the bennies are a bone they are throwing us but it is a substantial one. Lets step up and make it work for us all.

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

A while back, someone asked me in PM to quote the FAR that requires ADS-B to be on all the time, once installed. I replied to that PM, but I just looked in my mailbox on this site this morning, and it appears that my reply still sitting in the “Outboxâ€￾ not the “Sentboxâ€￾, so I assume they never got it. So here it is, for them, and anyone else who cares:

91.225 (f):

(f) Each person operating an aircraft equipped with ADS-B Out must operate this equipment in the transmit mode at all times unless -

(1) Otherwise authorized by the FAA when the aircraft is performing a sensitive government mission for national defense, homeland security, intelligence or law enforcement purposes and transmitting would compromise the operations security of the mission or pose a safety risk to the aircraft, crew, or people and property in the air or on the ground; or

(2) Otherwise directed by ATC when transmitting would jeopardize the safe execution of air traffic control functions.

Redhawk
100+ Posts

ADSB out

Post by Redhawk »

I have a Lynx NGT9000 and I have to say it has saved me a few near misses (or worse !) since installed. I am concerned that our constant monitoring with ADSB-out will place those of us who regularly fly “in the backcountryâ€￾ and not “over itâ€￾ can place us in legal jeopardy if we fly over persons on the ground who are disturbed by airplane noise and perceive us as a “low flying aircraftâ€￾, violating the 500’ rule near a “personâ€￾ in a “sparsely populated areaâ€￾. (FAR 91.119) Years ago a pilot at Redtail Aviation in Moab told me about how often hikers on the ground are reporting their pilots for “low flyingâ€￾. With the advent of Apps that can identify overhead aircraft by anyone on the ground with a smart phone, it brings up the issue of privacy.
I understand the FAA is coming out with a website to opt to de-identify your aircraft with a ADSB system, but this will be available only to 1090 ES systems (such as the Lynx, but not a UAS system such as the wingtip system). I’m not certain if this will only be for aircraft used in air commerce, or all aircraft including general aviation.
Just thought Id post this topic to hear differing points of view and to raise a few hairs about the constant chipping away at our privacy... That being said, ADSB-out does make our airspace safer...

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

I have a 1090ES ADS-B transponder (Appareo ESG) so I can't be icognito but if you have a 978 UAT you can be from what I understand. The transponder squawks its unique ID as well as the N number that's been configured in by the installer. In anonymous mode it still transmits the unique ID but instead of the N number, it transmits a self-assigned "rolling ICAO" code. Here's an AOPA article about this: https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all ... -incognito
Andy
1986 MX7-180