new ads-b solution

..now in a separate topic for all of us who needs to make a decision which ADS-B System to get. I will be moving ADS-B topics into this section. If I missed some please send me a link via email to the ADS-B topic to ‚CK at forums url‘
gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Valid point Kirk. Perhaps I should rethink my decision to not make Sun N Fun this year. You, Andy, and others somewhat local to the CLT FSDO might want to make this wings event.

http://www.faasafety.gov/SPANS/event_de ... ?eid=61485

While the agenda is mostly maintenance oriented, the last item which is a presentation from a co-founder of Foreflight about ADS-B may be quite interesting.

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

I'd like to make the Wings event at KCLT, Gary, but April is our busiest month of Spring fire season so I doubt that I'll be able to go.

I can't think of any big features that would need a wi-fi connection between the Stratus 2 ADS-B receiver and the Stratus ESG transponder. A more complete traffic picture would come into the Stratus 2 by virtue of having the ADS-B-OUT transponder but that's not related to the wi-fi link.

I'm hoping that the price on the Stratus ESG will be below $3,000. The L3 NGT-9000 is around $8,300 not including installation. Installation on both of them should be about $1,500. L3's lower cost ADS-B-OUT NGT-1000 is a remotely mounted box that requires a control unit in the panel - MFD or CP-2500. If panel work is required, the installation cost jumps up significantly. In my case, I just don't have the panel space for a new control unit and my Apollo GX60 GPS/COMM won't interface with the NGT-1000.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Bummer Andy. Some of these things are good and some are just somewhere to go.

I can see where the Stratus xponder would be a good choice for you. Looks like that or the king might be a choice for me.

Perhaps Kirk will bring some earth shaking news from Sun N Fun.

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

I'm on call that day but I may try and sneak down there if things are slow at work. I don't get to go to a lot of the wings events but it helps with the insurance when you can show recurrent training.
Kirk Johnson
If god had meant man to fly he would have given him more money

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

Andy just a thought but can you bring the work aircraft and launch from Monroe. You could be on station just as fast. If I go I'll fly down to Monroe and have the car and bags packed waiting at the house so I can blast home ,jump into the suit and go to work. Of course at work they normally won't leave with out me.
Kirk Johnson

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Throw your bags in the Maule. CLT controllers will love you popping off EQY and knocking on their door.

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

do you think they would mind the 60 knot approach speed? ;-0 The wife and I are going to try some BBQ headed to Carthage I'll give you a call.
Kirk Johnson

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Up until about 15 years ago, and they were pretty busy even back then with one less runway, I would drive the Champ to work on Saturdays. A controller friend said it was quite interesting to watch some of the young guys try to fit it in.

Can't make the Pic N Pig today. Stuck in Bremen Germany but thanks for the invite.

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Oops

Double post

Flyhound
100+ Posts

Post by Flyhound »

I was at the Pacific Northwest Aviation conference back at the end of February and was talking to ADS-B vendors. I have a WAAS Garmin 430 in my panel, and I have a DUAL ADS-B IN receiver that connects to my tablet. For my flights across the country (WA to VA and back) I REALLY liked the inflight weather the ADS-B receiver provided. When I got close to major airports where other planes had ADS-B OUT equipment, I received the traffic alerts their equipment generated on my tablet. That was also REALLY cool.

Since my DUAL receiver works just fine for the ADS-B IN information, and provides a MUCH better display of that information on my tablet than any panel mounted screen can offer, that's what I'll stick with for the incoming data streams.

I'm looking for a low cost solution that provides ADS-B out and connects to my existing WAAS GPS unit. I was told new hardware would be announced at Sun-N-Fun that would meet my needs for ~ $1,500. Keep me posted with personal accounts of what you all see at Sun-N-Fun. The hands-on and direct eyeball information is good to have to balance the glossy ads all of the manufacturers will be placing. I was at Sun-N-Fun last year and had a ball. I also bought a lot of goodies for my plane. I just wish it was a reasonable flight in my Maule this year. Flying from WA to FL for that event in a small plane just doesn't pass the cost/benefit analysis my pocketbook requires.
Por mares nunca dantes navegados - a line from a Potugese poem about exploring the unknown.

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

Kirk, MM and I have been swamped at work with lots of fire activity this week. We've been working some big fires around Asheville. We can't reposition ourselves to Monroe when the fire readiness levels are so high. It's been dry, warm and windy until today. Maybe after the leaves are completely out and humidity is up but that's not likely until May.

I'll look through my photos and see if I have a good one of Linville Gorge. It can't compete with Yosemite except for the lack of tourists.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

I kinda figured you guys would be busy we saw a few fires on our tour. There where a couple around Carthage also. With the tops left from my logging here I' m keeping a watch myself.
Kirk Johnson

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Andy, have you looked any further at the Stratus transponder. I've looked at their website and a drawing shows a cable from the transponder to the portable Stratus II receiver. Any idea why the need for the link. Is something not happening automatically there? Anyone else have any idea. Would like to keep the Stratus truly portable and stuck back there in the rear door window.

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

Gary, yes the only way to connect the Stratus ESG transponder to the Stratus 2 ADS-B receiver is by cable. That's somewhat disappointing but the connection also provides aircraft power and antenna to the Stratus 2 so there's some compensation for having to string another wire. I don't know yet if it's a front panel connection or rear panel. If I get the ESG transponder I probably won't connect the Stratus 2. I'm not sure what you get in the way of additonal features in ForeFlight when you do that. I'll let you know when I find out.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

I think the stratus serves as the transceiver for the adsb in giving you the weather and traffic. It also provides the wifi interface for the ipads that way the box doesn't need those abilities built in. That's what I understand when I read the sales stuff anyway.
Kirk Johnson