new ads-b solution

..now in a separate topic for all of us who needs to make a decision which ADS-B System to get. I will be moving ADS-B topics into this section. If I missed some please send me a link via email to the ADS-B topic to ‚CK at forums url‘
captnkirk
100+ Posts

new ads-b solution

Post by captnkirk »

L3 has finally launched their new ads -b solutions I just got the email. Looks like they have several choices depending on wants and needs.
http://www.l-3lynx.com/index.htm
It adds to the confusion for sure but now there are a few more options.
Kirk Johnson
If god had meant man to fly he would have given him more money

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Post by Mountain Doctor »

Thanks for the link. Confusion indeed! I have still not decided what I am going to do, although I am leaning towards not equipping the airplane. I live out in the country, and it is very rare that I need to be inside a mode C veil and I am certainly not up above 15,000 feet very often. If I need to go into a controlled airspace for some reason, I could bring another airplane I suppose.

Heck, for the price that it would cost to update my airplane, I think I could probably rent a Bonanza for when I need to take a trip into controlled airspace, and still save money. With that said, I am somewhat open-minded, but I think I will wait until the prices fall, hopefully precipitously.
I am an AME in Richland, Washington. Please call for an appointment!

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

The panel mount is about same price as a Mode S transponder alone... This unit also is legal ADS-B in and out, which a lot of the stuff out there doesn't have (OUT) like the Stratus... Or you can go for remote box, much less expensive? For a budget set up, not bad pricing... Personally, I don't think I'll need the ADS-B based on type of flying that I do...
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

Kirk, I think that I'm going to go with the L3 Lynx NGT-9000. It replaces the KT 76A transponder in my main avionics stack, has it's own display, it's own internal WAAS GPS position source and is dual-band for less money than the Garmin GDL 88. Pricing isn't out yet but I got an informal quote from a good avionics shops of $6,500 installed.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

Andy that unit caught my interest also, what shop? Twin lakes. The idea of being self contained and Ipad usable has a lot of pluses.
Kirk Johnson

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

Plus it's got IN / OUT built in with MODE S. So much of stuff only has IN, which doesn't meet whatever the final requirements end up being... And all there in a unit that's like a transponder sized...
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Looks good until the price. :cry:

$7,000 for the bottom of the line unit and up from there. I guess about 9 grand(+) installed.

I like its look and user interface. If I go ADS-B this is one I would consider.

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

I saw news today of an experimental unit ADS-B for $699 for limited time only
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

I saw that also on Avweb. 1/4 the price of the same one that says 'TSO'.

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

Doc go back and look at the NGT- 2000 it is like $3200 and they have not announced a price on the lowest model yet, no bells or whistles but meets the mandate.
http://www.l-3lynx.com/models.htm
Kirk Johnson

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

OK, somebody please tell me what's wrong with this thinking.

I have a KN76a transponder which will fail at some time so I'll pull it out and shove in a KT74. That part is pug n play as long as you disable ADS-B output. Add the STC'd airspeed switch and GPS input from my 430W (I assume there is not gps internal) and you have ADS-B out and meet the 2020 mandate.

Add Stratus (not physically installed so meets no FAA requirements but there is no requirements for ADS-B in) and you have traffic, weather, etc. (all on my IPad right there in front of me and on a considerable larger display than traffic on the face of a transponder size unit) so I get something for my money.

Am I missing anything here. Obviously I am depending on several units here the older being the 430w which is no longer a production unit but doubt I will be replacing it any time soon.

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

I do believe that would work Gary also the Trig 31 would do the same job. I'd run it by a good shop see what they think unless your in-house engineer can handle it.
Kirk Johnson

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

Just got a card in the mail from Stratus announcing their new ESG ADS-B-OUT mode S transponder. Looks like it replaces a KT 76A in the panel, has an integrated WAAS GPS module and antenna and does 1090 ES rather than 978 UAT. No price yet but I'm on their list when it comes out. I don't know if it connects to the Appareo Stratus ADS-B-IN receiver that I already have but I wouldn't be surprised if it did. No separate control unit needed since it replaces the transponder completely and has an on-board display and controls. Here's a scanned picture:

Andy
1986 MX7-180

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Yep, website says they will talk to each other. Would eliminate hooking the transponder to the GPS if dollars are compatible. Guess the other question is what do we know about this company's ability to build a long lasting trouble fee transponder.

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

I'm headed to sun n fun next month I bet there are going to be some more announcements coming out down there. I think all the manufactures are looking for the price point where people will start signing up for the up grade. I may now have to rethink my choice of Garmin pilot over Foreflight. As far as I understand it all new transponders are non cavity tube types so basically they are all digital so like a computer it either works for a long time or it fails pretty fast. One of the avionics guys at work told me the stuff in the airplanes has go thru the FAA hoops and there is not a lot of volume like say a cell phone to spread the costs. So we get to pay for it.
Kirk Johnson